Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Garmin 3597 Reply with quote

I have started using my new 3597LMT in anger in France. Previously I was a great fan of the Navigon 92 Live, but it seems that Navigon is no longer going to support this product in the future so decided to go back to Garmin.

Its still too early to give comprehensive feedback, but my early thoughts are that it is good looking, display is excellent, getting traffic and weather requires pressing another icon and then closing it again. Have not yet had to use traffic in anger yet. The additional information available with Garmin Smart Link looks good but I am not sure how valuable the information will be. The only problem is that I have to use another Bluetooth device for this as my Iphone is connected to my car's bluetooth for phone use. (I am not sure you can use two bluetooth connections simultaneously - maybe somebody can advise me).

However, I find the routing still very strange. Although so far this is confined to the back roads in France (where I know the way already) it never chooses the "fastest route" but some other convuluted routing. When I take the route I know is fastest, it recalculates and then REDUCES the time of arrival accordingly. So why does it not choose this route in the first place? Is this by poor design or just bad algorithms?[/u]
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple reason is that a GPS cannot calculate every possible route, otherwise we'd be complaining it takes too long to get us navigating, so it often can be 'beaten' by local knowledge.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 3597 Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
However, I find the routing still very strange. Although so far this is confined to the back roads in France (where I know the way already) it never chooses the "fastest route" but some other convuluted routing. When I take the route I know is fastest, it recalculates and then REDUCES the time of arrival accordingly. So why does it not choose this route in the first place? Is this by poor design or just bad algorithms?[/u]

This is exactly the problem with Garmin and me

Their units are well made, fast to use, good screens and well priced

They have an abundance of functions too

BUT at the core their routing is atrocious

The new TomToms (400/500/600) have nothing useful yet built in to them, but their routing is great

Now, if I could combine the two....
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 3597 Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Has not this always been the case? Although having said that, I haven't read anything about Garmin's poor routing for ages. There was quite a lot about it a couple or three years ago.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 3597 Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I haven't read anything about Garmin's poor routing for ages. There was quite a lot about it a couple or three years ago.

...we're all still lost! Rolling Eyes
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that you get to view a choice of upto 3 routes on the 3598 before you start navigation. I've been happy with the routing on mine so far but I'm afraid it's had little chance to be put to serious test.

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 3597 Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
xtraseller wrote:
Has not this always been the case? Although having said that, I haven't read anything about Garmin's poor routing for ages. There was quite a lot about it a couple or three years ago.

Certainly seen no real problems with my 1490, with latest software it's even better than it was when I got it over a couple of years ago.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin just released 3.20 (up from 2.80) - quite a few changes this time and a few issues addressed.

Changes from version 2.80 to version 3.20:
Added support for the new HD Weather feature when using compatible HD Traffic cables. The feature is only available in areas where HD Traffic is available. In order to view localized text for this feature, you must download the latest translations.
Added support for the Environmental Zones feature for areas where the appropriate map data is available
Improved route comparison logic for alternate routes on the Traffic page.
Updates were made to use gray coloring for traffic events that do not contain flow data. This replaces the green coloring that implied traffic was flowing smoothly.
Improved support for Czech and Turkish TTS voices.
Improved Bluetooth audio volume.
Improved ramp support for the Signpost feature.
Added support for playing different audio tones to differentiate between static safety cameras and mobile safety cameras.
Added city, state, and country names to the points of interest search results list, where applicable.
Added Audio Mixer support to control the volume of speech recognition phrases. The Audio Mixer is only available when paired to a phone in hands-free mode.
Fixed a touchscreen lockup issue on 35x7 and 35x8 products.
Fixed an issue that prevented certain location formats from working correctly on the coordinates search page.
Fixed an issue that prevented certain routes from calculating correctly in Russia.
Fixed an issue where all Smartphone Link apps were available on the Apps page after deleting the phone pairing from the Bluetooth page.
Fixed an issue that caused the external power lost countdown message to display after the device had exited sleep mode.
Fixed an issue that prevented subcategories from displaying in the Michelin Green guide.
Fixed issues found in the Up Ahead feature.
Fixed various alignment issues found in languages that display right-to-left.
Fixed an issue that would cause the Signpost feature to disappear when a notification displayed on the map.
Fixed several device re-boots that could occur while navigating with the Active Lane Guidance feature.
Fixed an issue that prevented Smartphone Link on the device from connecting to Android devices running 4.2 software.
Added support to display any temporary speed limits specified by safety cameras in the speed limit field.
Improved ASR performance in loud environments.
Improved overall stability of the software.
Changes from version 2.70 to version 2.80:
Fixed an issue that prevented the device from booting up due to the presence of empty or corrupt GLX files.
Changes from version 2.60 to version 2.70:
Corrected issue with Safety Cameras settings checkbox initially appearing deselected.
Enhanced the Arabic speech for street names and natural guidance POIs.
Changes from version 2.50 to version 2.60:
Fixed an issue on the 35x7 that could prevent screen touches from working correctly if the user was touching a large portion of the screen when the device was powered on
Fixed an issue that could sometimes prevent the GPS from acquiring a fix
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Garmin 3597 Reply with quote

Brickie64 wrote:
Remember that you get to view a choice of upto 3 routes on the 3598 before you start navigation. I've been happy with the routing on mine so far but I'm afraid it's had little chance to be put to serious test.

I have not seen this option yet. So far only one route is displayed - is this only on the 3598?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3598 is a 3597 with a different traffic receiver, so you should get route options on yours if they appear on the 3598 Confused
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin 3597 Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
Brickie64 wrote:

I have not seen this option yet. So far only one route is displayed - is this only on the 3598?

It should work on the 3597 and the 3598 as they are essentially the same hardware.
When you select your destination there should be three options appear on the tab below on the screen. 1st one on the left is "Routes". If you select this option then you will see that the device tries to plot up to 3 routes (typically it only finds two). You can then select the rout that you prefer from those that appear. Very Happy

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin 3597 Reply with quote

It should work on the 3597 and the 3598 as they are essentially the same hardware.
When you select your destination there should be three options appear on the tab below on the screen. 1st one on the left is "Routes". If you select this option then you will see that the device tries to plot up to 3 routes (typically it only finds two). You can then select the rout that you prefer from those that appear. Very Happy[/quote]

Thank you. I did not notice this! Will check it out tomorrow. Is it worth buying the 3598 for the screen resolution and the digital traffic?
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 3597 Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:

Thank you. I did not notice this! Will check it out tomorrow. Is it worth buying the 3598 for the screen resolution and the digital traffic?

The screen is the same on the 3597 and 3598 from what I understand. I'm not sure how different the digital traffic is compared to the normal traffic but I think the main selling point is that the data is updated on a far more regular basis compared to the other traffic options available. I have to say that I've never been convinced entirely that any of the traffic solutions available are that reliable. TomTom did seem to get good data on stationary traffic etc using the sensors in the road to detect traffic queues no doubt. I'm not sure if this information is centrally generated and available to all GPS manufacturers offering traffic solutions? Perhaps someone here knows how that info is generated and used? Cool

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK Garmin uses the same info that you'd get via trafficklink Confused
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3598 actually says its a 3597 according to the label on the back. I think they just enable something on the 3597 to enable the additional traffic features that you get with the 3598 and presumably supply a different cable for the antenna?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 2 of 22

Jump to: