Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbley wrote:
not much that I can see, without having to pay for extras.

Bluetooth will only connect to one device, so mine connects to the hands free. the audio quality is too diabolical on the nuvi to use this as the hands free.

My Bluetooth connects to the Smartphone app - THEN if I want it to my Garmin or built-in hands-free

The App gives traffic (extra cost), live speed cams (extra cost), weather (extra cost) but works well and without hassle PROVIDING you don't connect to HD traffic at the same time

Living in Wales signal (on HD traffic) isn't great, but much better than old TMC but not up there obviously with a app - even if only for speed
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cameras through the smartlink aren't that brilliant - not up to date and it removes average/mobile speed zones. You are probably better off with the PGPSW database as more reliable even if only updated once a week

also no photolive or fuel prices available via the smartlink app, but if you notice the 3598 show these options when you connect and tells you to go to the smartlink app to subscribe
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can run the android app on my phone, but the phone Bluetooth will only connect to one device at a time, either my parrot hands free or the Nuvi.

It would be great to have both running, but I can't see a way how. Phone is a Xperia Z.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you unticked use nuvi as hands free in the smart link menu on the nuvi?
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have unticked the use garmin as handsfree option.

The Xperia will only allow me to connect to one Bluetooth device at a time. I have both parrot & nuvi listed, it seems the first one it sees it connects to. If I select the other, it disconnects from the first device.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbley wrote:
Yes I have unticked the use garmin as handsfree option.

The Xperia will only allow me to connect to one Bluetooth device at a time. I have both parrot & nuvi listed, it seems the first one it sees it connects to. If I select the other, it disconnects from the first device.

Exactly the same for me, which ever one starts up first used to grab the connection.

My solution has been to keep my old PAYG Nokia 6300i permanently plugged into a power socket in the centre console and connect that to the car Bluetooth and let the HTC connect to the Garmin. Means I've had to give out 2 numbers to contact me depending on whether I'm in the car or not.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it needs a phone with Bluetooth 4.0 ?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Perhaps it needs a phone with Bluetooth 4.0 ?

Nope, my HTC One has Bluetooth 4 and it can still only connect to one device at a time.

As posted, it will pair to both but at next connection (turn car ignition on) whichever device starts looking first (car or Garmin) steals the one and only connection. from my testing it is the Garmin that gets there first so the car reports 'no device connected'.

If anyone has an answer ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be just on iOS that the dual connections work then - it connects to my Car headunit and the Garmin in either order, and I can even answer on either the car unit or the garmin at the same time!

Surprised me too! Laughing
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

Come on Android, sort this one out
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody got to the bottom of the "map greying out" issues!
I've had my 3598LMTD since October and didn't discover the issue until a trip up the M1. I contacted Garmin and after several resets and reloads of maps they sent another unit. Sadly on my next trip up the M1 the replacement was no better, and indeed locked up a couple of times. I'm not using the smart phone link (as I don't want to purchase it until I'm sure the unit is going to work!) and I have tried disabling all the features that I bought the unit for!
I have noticed that you can see the start of the greying out when it auto zooms, and it only does it on a long route after a couple of hours

I had been a Garmin fan since the i3 came out. Come on Garmin this is one of your flagship ranges nearly £300 for a pile of poo!
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I agree with there - I think the 3598 is a great unit and the digital traffic is a fantastic improvement over the old TMC traffic.

I have seen the odd "grey" screen as I'm driving but the Nuvi seems to catch up with itself in around 5 to 10 seconds if left alone - I've never seen it display a permanent grey screen longer than this. Not a problem on the motorway anyway but I've never experienced a grey screen driving at slow / city centre speeds. Yes the occasional stutter as the unit struggles to get a fix when surrounded by many high rise buildings but that affects every sat nav.

I've had a new Garmin / Nuvi since the i3 and that unit like every Garmin I've owned has had its glitches here and there.

Best bet is to keep reporting issues to Garmin - the more reports they get they do eventually get round (mostly) to fixing. I've just dropped them a note re the grey screen issue.
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, the Nuvi 3598 has a hell of a lot going for it.
The display is the best I've seen, the features it offers are superb (which is why I parted with the best part of £300) and I love the way it remembers my probable destinations and displays a time and traffic estimate, but its main job is to navigate and display a map, which the two units I've had and others peoples (from reading other posts) it cannot do reliably.
When my screen greys out it takes looses all maps and as you are traveling odd sections or blocks of map appear, but it cannot catch up and rebuild the entire map because they are constantly changing as you move. it can take up to 10 minuets to recover by it's self, or the alternative seems to be to reboot the unit (not easy when you are going down the motorway at 70mph)
It is as if the unit does not have the processing power to deal with the information. The zoom is a good indicator of when things are going pear shaped as it becomes blocky and you get flashes of grey as its doing so, I have found that turning it off completely (not just to standby) can help this, I wondered if this flushes the memory. I have also seen traffic information stick in the memory, although it gave no detail the icon was stuck on the map for 5 days until I turned it right off.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice on various forums for all nuvis that go into 'sleep mode' is to switch them off completely occasionally. This helps prevent any abnormal behaviour Wink
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does this greying out thing, but not as bad as when I had the smartlink running. As almost all services are pay extra, I have not bothered with it and connect my phones BT to the car hands free instead.

To me, it seems like the processor cannot keep up with what is being asked of it. Most noticeably when there is a traffic update and the device has to recalculate different options on a long route, grey screen blocks will appear. Most times it recovers ok, but occasionally more and more of the screen goes grey and eventually it seems to give up on the map & the grey screen will stick there till a reboot.

Maybe the number of custom POIs affect it? I have thousands of the things on mine, need them for work & I guess they all have to be sucked from the POI files and plotted on the map.

Think Garmin need to redo the sw to make the code run more efficiently. I cannot see that they will be able to add any more features with future sw updates as the processor cannot handle what is asked of it at the moment.

Will be interesting to see what processors are used in future high end models.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 9 of 22

Jump to: