Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Getting a One XL Back on an even keel
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a One XL Back on an even keel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Getting a One XL Back on an even keel Reply with quote

I had a pointer from Andy_P which might help with my One XL from another thread http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=92530

He suggested I start a new topic to cover the 'surgery' so here it is.

I'm wondering if its a problem with the SD card and its map - it just suddenly cut-out one day and won't boot, switch off or do anything with any reliability. I can get it going and it will still navigate, but I need reliability and its just not doing anything reliably.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again... Smile

I've copied your ONE XL's symptoms to here and moved my "first suggestions" too, to keep it all in one place.

The first things to try are laid out in two topics I wrote for another forum. Try each step in part 1 in order, stopping if you get an improvement, otherwise try part 2

Old-style TomTom Acting Up? - Part 1 - First Steps In System Recovery

Old-style TomTom Acting Up? - Part 2 - How To reinstall *fresh* Software using Home
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P Well I worked through things, per your instructions. I started with reset (I have a reset switch), but having tried this previously I didn't hold out much hope. Then I got it hooked up to the TTHome, the magic fix to this as I had discovered previously was to use the reset button to get it to switch off, then eject and reseat the SD card, then switch on and connect to TTHome. In fact it took the same route before I could even access its drive in windows explorer.

A replacement to a new mapsettings file didn't cut any ice, so I went for that flash.exe. Things started to get a bit more promising after that, though I'm not entirely certain what it does, it does seem to do something. It has always taken a long time to boot, but since doing this it has been booting in the normal sort of long time, and has been switching off easily.

I then decided that given the amount of files that it gets shoved at it, and the fact that it is essentially just a drive, that there was no reason why a windows disk scan would do any harm which were the next set of instructions. So did a scan and repair and a defrag.

Overall it does now seem as happy as its ever been - as I say it's never been a swift booter. Maybe I didn't need to spend the cash on the new system. However, the new system offers me bluetooth access to my phone which might be handy - I don't currently use my phone in the car at all. It also offers voice activated control of many functions -I don't know how well it will work, but it is worth a try. I will keep the old system for long itinerary based trips onto the continent, and the new system for shorter UK trips were a via will be adequate I think.

Many thanks for those instructions and your time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: