Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - French & Swiss cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

French & Swiss cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: French & Swiss cameras Reply with quote

As usual we are holidaying in France and Switzerland this year so I wondered if there was any way to be advised of the speed cams without giving the game away to M Gendarme should we be stopped.

What is their policy – do they look at the satnav or what….how would they know ?

Is it possible to have a sound and no icon maybe ?...I did consider changing the icon for something silly like a flower or animal …..
Any thoughts ?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put my hand up to this. I used CamerAlert on my iPhone last summer in both France and Switzerland and simply had them working. Although I kept my eyes open, without being obsessive about it, I don't recall ever thinking I was in danger of being spotted. To keep myself ready, I also ran a full screen speedometer app and was prepared to switch apps to that one if necessary, with a simple double tap. BUT as it was a sightseeing touring holiday, we were on side roads for most of the time - I don't recall getting any Swiss warnings, but did get French ones.

See the notes on the download page for downloads of the PND database - Swiss and French cameras are not included, you have to specially select for them to be downloaded, so you do so in the knowledge that they are illegal. M Gendarme will surely only know you are a criminal if he is driving alongside you when a camera warning comes up? When you're stopped, there will be no sign of the database. I have not seen any reports of satnavs being inspected, and I remember Darren offering the opinion (I agree) that he would expect the vehicle to be fine-tooth combed if you have an accident or serious motoring offence, in which case the database will no doubt be the least of your worries. Changing the icons would be an alternative, but you've got a helluva lot of them to do and I'd imagine it's a one off job that lasts for the whole of your holiday until you get home to your computer unless you take a laptop with you.

I really do feel that, whilst they may say they'll be 'avin you, I've always thought they really have more important things to do than drive around looking for camera database offenders.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some info from Kent police here. Originally posted by JaTe yesterday. The last paragraph is the interesting one.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure that the last paragraph in the Kent Police advice is correct. It contradicts everything that has been said here and elsewhere.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's lots of rumours about it in loads of places but have you found anything more authoritive? If so, a link please.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
There's lots of rumours about it in loads of places but have you found anything more authoritive? If so, a link please.

Yes, most of the various threads on this forum I suspect are more "authorative" than Kent police Wink And I live in Kent. Have a look through all those and especially the posts from people who live in France.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in France and I haven't heard of anyone getting checked. As far as I know, the gendarmerie or police is not allowed to look in your satnav anyway but customs (douane) is.

I suspect that they don't really check anyway as they know that TomTom's own system (and the French bred databases) are now 'danger zones' which are allowed.

Remember that if you have a X20/X30 or XL based unit and you want the warnings to work, you need to wind back to navcore 9401 or earlier.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similarly I haven't persomally heard of anyone getting fined in a SPECS zone in UK but that doesn't mean that no one has. I suppose the confusion, if there is one, is about the translation of 'detector' or whatever the French use. Or is it specifically spelled out as GPS based database?
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm....I thought this might spark an interesting discussion Smile

In all honesty we do generally stick pretty much to the limits but it is always handy to be forewarned isn't it !

In response to the number of icons......you would only need to change one or two.

I de-compile and extract all the different types of mobile speedcams (Euro and UK) then re-compile it into one single file and likewise with all the fixed cams and the average speed cams so I only have 3 icons
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see an easy way out of it for them. Remove the last paragraph Rolling Eyes
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic but have TomTom reinstated notify when near POIs in France? That was disabled which is why the speed camera database didn't give an audible and visual warning plus any other POIs one wanted to know about such as tourist attractions etc.
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
Slightly off topic but have TomTom reinstated notify when near POIs in France? That was disabled which is why the speed camera database didn't give an audible and visual warning plus any other POIs one wanted to know about such as tourist attractions etc.

I just heard that the navcore 9.465 is allowing POI warnings again. I think it still has problems but I won't be trying it as I now run a modified version of 9.051 navcore that has most of the old functions that were deleted in later navcores.

I really can't see any advantage in running later navcores as they have just reduced functionality as far as I can see.
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: French & Swiss cameras Reply with quote

Davidwf wrote:

Is it possible to have a sound and no icon maybe ?...I did consider changing the icon for something silly like a flower or animal …..
Any thoughts ?

A while back, the fixed camera icon on my TomTom was a red dot, but recently it has changed back to a picture of a camera.

Can I find the red dot somewhere here, please? I suspect it would get me over the French problem.

And is there an alternative icon for a mobile camera?

Thanks.

Philip
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: French & Swiss cameras Reply with quote

[quote="Yquem59"]
Davidwf wrote:

Can I find the red dot somewhere here, please? I suspect it would get me over the French problem.

And is there an alternative icon for a mobile camera?

There are various coloured dots available with the built-in icons. Try creating a new POI category on the unit itself and you'll see them all.

I don't think there is a direct way to opt to use them for a POI category that you've added as a file (like we do for the PGPSW cameras), but you CAN "borrow" those icons.

Here's how to do it for models that you can see on your PC....

1. create a new category (Change Preferences/Manage POIs/ Add POI category)
2. Give it any name and choose your preferred dot or other icon
3. Then connect the unit to your PC and use Windows Explorer to browse the map folder
4. Look for the .ov2 and .bmp files for the POI category you just made
5. Copy the .bmp file and rename it to match the camera POI file you want it to go with.

Easy!

For the newer models that use MyTomTom, you can do the same thing with the "Copy to computer" feature in MyTomTom/Add Community Content/Add POIs.
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: French & Swiss cameras Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Easy!

Perhaps, once I have read your instructions a few times !

I wonder how I did it before, without realising it.

Thank you.

Philip

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: