Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just got the TomTom 2505TM and some questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just got the TomTom 2505TM and some questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Just got the TomTom 2505TM and some questions Reply with quote

I decided to take advantage of Costco's pricing on the package including the gps, suction mounting, a case and the bean bag. Not sure if this was a good idea (and you may comment on that).

I did not realize it had a Proprietary Plug that is magnetic and not a "standard" usb or micro-usb connector. How does one charge this if away from a computer or a car charger? I do have a Radio Shack charger that plugs into the wall and contains a cigarette adapter. But most of my charging these days is what I'd call the normal usb type (mini or micro) stuff for phones and tablets and my older Tomtom 940.

I also realize this device is now OLDER tech. So any other comments.

Thanks in advance

edited to add: is the magnetic charging plug a newer or older method on TomTom?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The multi pin plug is not "old" technology (even though different variants of it have been around since the very first Go).
The current "magnetic" one was only introduced a year or so ago on the Go1000 and now the Go1005 (and the US 2xxx series models).

The very first ones were shipped with:
1. a car charger with cigarette lighter-shaped power supply going straight to a multipin plug, and
2. a standard USB plug to multipin plug cable for use at home with the PC.

But now they usually provide a Car charger with a USB socket on the front and a single USB plug to multipin cable, which you have to share between the car and the house.

Did you not get that with your Go2505?
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get TWO of those magnetic thingies! One magnetic is just the usb-to-computer and the other is a car charger (with the magnetic hardwired to it).

I guess if I want to charge it from an ac wall socket, I need a wall wart that accepts the usb-magnetic cable.

I believe TomTom sells something that I found on further wanderings. For US sockets:

http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/accessories/chargers-connect-cables/universal-home-charger/

Obviously, the cable that comes with it is not for the newer magnetic plugs.

I may TEST one I have like that from my Blackberry phone and hope I don't fry anything.

I meant the 2505 is already "old" technology as I see it has been around almost two years, I think. Probably why Costco had the deal and accessories!

Can I ask what you think of the 2505TM or European equivalent? I'm not sure I like being closed out of its file/folder system. I liked adding POI files for chains like Starbucks and Costco, etc. Can't backup and there is no TomTomHome for it. I have the 920 and I still like it but figured it might be time for an update and the "lifetime" maps were an incentive. The US traffic might also be nice. In initial playing with the 2505, I'm not sure I like it better but it might take time to accept the differences.

And thanks for the reply.

edited to add: Sheesh, I noticed I joined almost 5 years ago!
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as your charger probs go you could use either of the following options for home charging, depending on which lead you want to use:

Mains to USB adapter

or

Mains to 12V DC socket
Garmin CoPilot & Nuvi 200W (now retired)
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions and links, particularly to the photos.

I do have something like the second one (mains to 12volt). But it does require more equipment for a road trip or airport security.

As for the first item, I have a Blackberry phone charger designed like that but have not tried (or fried) it yet.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F2 wrote:
I did get TWO of those magnetic thingies! One magnetic is just the usb-to-computer and the other is a car charger (with the magnetic hardwired to it).

I guess if I want to charge it from an ac wall socket, I need a wall wart that accepts the usb-magnetic cable.

If you are taking a PC with you, the TomTom will also charge from your PC using the standard USB to multipin cable.

It does it slower than if you use the car charger or a mains to USB adapter, but I find it perfectly adequate if I leave it plugged in overnight.

F2 wrote:
Can I ask what you think of the 2505TM or European equivalent?

I don't have a 2505, but I havve a Go1005 which I think is pretty identical. I love the hardware, but don;t like the steady reduction in features that has happened over the years, My old models do just about everything the new one does and a lot more too.

F2 wrote:
I'm not sure I like being closed out of its file/folder system. I liked adding POI files for chains like Starbucks and Costco, etc. Can't backup and there is no TomTomHome for it.

YOU CAN STILL ADD YOUR POIS to the new one!!!!!

You install the MyTomTom Support Application program (downloadable from TomTom HERE onto your PC and then use it's "Add community Content" feature.
That allows you to add POIs, voices, car cursors, start up and shut down images and your own warning sounds, all from your PC.

If you want to transfer your POIs etc. directly from your old TomTom models there is a tool to do that too, it's called the "Content Transfer Assistant" and you can get it HERE

Map backup is not required because you can store your maps on-line on the TomTom servers (again using MyTomTom). You can always re-download the software too.
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - you've provided some great additional info. Now if I can remember the sites that use to have a slew of POI's.

Editing to clarify: Traffic took about 20 minutes to finally find a station. The spinner just kept spinning. This morning it went pretty fast and it was fun monitoring it - but still glad I'm now retired and don't deal with rush hour traffic except when I head out on a day hike or cross-country ski trip.

I do appreciate the help - each new device brings new challenges. As for the, ahem, loss of feaures with the newer devices. They are just making them easier to use - yeah, sure, you-betcha!
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bump my thread with another 2505 question.

Is there anyway to see the Satellites that are being used? I just searched the manual and the only reference to 'satellite' is visual imaging for maps. On my older Tomtom there was a way to see the status of the satellites.

Thanks in advance.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a GPS Settings icon as you move through the Settings options.
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Not as much info as in my older unit but more than the Manual seems to show. I guess maybe I will do a full page-by-page through it just to get a better idea of what's in there (I may have done it when I first got it).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: