Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New app v9.465 for TTHome devices 08/10/12
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New app v9.465 for TTHome devices 08/10/12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the smaller amount of data on Tomtom Places assist with managing the Vodafone data cap? If so it implies it will never get better...

Edit: Garmin NuLink devices still have Google local search, though their traffic is only a TM version delivered via SIM card. Still with the way HD is going who knows?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just down loaded the new app onto my 750Live and it has done away with Google and replaced it.
I tried searching for a particular firm that I use regularly and it could not find it.
I tried on my wifes 740Live and although the Google icon was there it stubbornly refused to contact to it and we had the message "unable to connect to Tom Tom services at this time - try later"

Although it could connect to other services -- Fuel prices - weather -- traffic etc.
We tried several hours later still unavailable -- seems to have been disabled.
I have up dated the 740Live with the new app and it connects to all the subscribed services -- including the new "Local Search"
-- which does NOT have several local businesses and firms as did the Google service..
Part of the usefulness of the service

Have we been "sold out" to an inferior service?
Maurice
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:

Have we been "sold out" to an inferior service?

Ever heard the expression, "Don't ask questions you don't want answers to"? Confused
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Google Search Reply with quote

Well TomTom I sincerely hope you still read all the messages posted on Pocket GPS site because here you have one EXTREMELY ANNOYED customer who will NOT be RENEWING any MAPS or LIVE SERVICES again. TomTom Places is TOTALLY USELESS for my needs, so no reason to ever buy another TomTom product. My job entails quite a bit of travelling between various towns, but not always in a car, i.e. public transport! Google Search lists every bus stop in the UK and can be programmed for walking to any particular bus stop you want; needlesss to say TomTom Places does not list bus stops, so I wll now need to print maps from Google Maps the day before I travel. Nor does it list several companies I visit regularly, so for me it is pretty much a useless service now.
SHAME ON YOU TOMTOM! AFTER 10 YEARS YOU HAVE JUST LOST YOURSELVES ANOTHER CUSTOMER WHO WILL NOT BE RECOMMENDING YOUR PRODUCTS TO HIS NUMEROUS COLLEAGUES.[/i]
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it just have been an "end of contract" thing with Google and that Tom Tom chose a cheaper [or different ] option with their new "Local Search"..

There is always a cost implication in these things -- and although we -- the paying customer -- have chosen and paid for a particular service it seems that it can be removed for what appears to be an inferior service -- with out consultation or notification.

Maybe we didn't want that service?
Or if offered would not have purchased it!

It is like paying for an air-plane ticket and then being told you will travel by bus -- for the same price..
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
It is like paying for an air-plane ticket and then being told you will travel by bus -- for the same price..
That happens on the rail system fairly frequently, but not usually permanently.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
Would it just have been an "end of contract" thing with Google and that Tom Tom chose a cheaper [or different ] option with their new "Local Search"..

That's exactly what it was.

.....and exactly what has happened.

To my mind, it's STAGGERING that TT ever thought they could replace Google with anything even remotely as good.
Google have been in this business for quite a while now...
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else had their unit fail to properly change to night colours etc following this update?

Go740 LIVE

Being dazzled with the bright day colours on the M25 this evening was not much fun. Since the update the automatic switch to night colours (and back) doesn't happen any-more. The setting say the switch should happen, and have done a reboot and still the same problem
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

julianbarker wrote:
Has anyone else had their unit fail to properly change to night colours etc following this update?

Go740 LIVE

Being dazzled with the bright day colours on the M25 this evening was not much fun. Since the update the automatic switch to night colours (and back) doesn't happen any-more. The setting says the switch should happen, and have done a reboot and still the same problem

GO950Live
Not seen that on my device since the update. but did notice that the 'Switch to night colours when dark' had lost the tick in the last box. Corrected that during my usual check that all my preferences were as they should be, and it works ok.

Have you checked all your settings?

Last edited by Gee-Pee on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My voice selection had switched back to a TTS one which I don't normally use as well.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While messing about with the inbuilt Poi (schools) my unit took a wobbler and removed all my preset warnings and enabled the tomtom camera warnings.

This is on a 540 live (no live service).
I did a map correction and added a school to the built in poi list
(NO schools in list apart from driving schools!).
I then set it to warn about schools in the safety preferences.
This action removed all my own warnings and put on the warnings for the TT cameras!
Had to disable the safety warning for the schools to get my settings to work.
Also have a problem with the RDS not working correctly
compost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I initially had the day/night settings issue and had to go through settings to ensure that they were set correctly. The 'switch to night colours when dark' setting was not enabled.

I also noticed that it set a different default colour scheme after initial booting up and didn't preserve my previous settings. This was easily sorted by re-selecting map scheme options.
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a One IQ routes so it doesnt have the google search thingy, but I was happy to see the size of the font for the speed has increased, I complained to TT after the last update reduced this
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just gets better and better. Just tried Local Search and got a message "We are currently experiencing technical problems blah blah blah. Please try again later." I tried again afew minutes later and halfway though searching the screen went red with the message "OOPS Something went wrong. Please try again later.". Doesn't bode well does it?
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been absent from the forums recently but came back to see others' reactions to the debacle over the cessation of Google Search and its p***s-poor replacement, TT Places. Oh dear. Not good is it? Anyway, I understand why TT have been forced to stop Google Search, but I've e-mailed them to tell them I think they're in breach of UK consumer law: I'm paying for something that (as they knew they would have to) TT has now taken away and replaced with something that's not fit for purpose. At the very least they need to refund me some of the value of the LIVE services notional cost (which was bundled with the purchase price of my 750). Yes, I know TT will just give me bland corporate-speak replies, but at least they know I'm not a Happy Bunny, no sir.

But, you know, this could be a great business opportunity for PGPSW POIs: I bet most people use(d) Google Search for the kind of thing that could be found somewhere in the POIs. So now the only real competitor has vanished, poof, into the ether. I wouldn't trust TT Places (or their POIs) from recent experimentation, but I would trust PGPSW POIs. If they could be made even more comprehensive, and with some of the download pain removed (like the restriction of sub-categories and the dodgy web page refresh) then, I dunno, I might even be prepared to pay for them. Just a thought. Thanks for listening.

One final Q: will Garmin 'live' PNDs suffer the same deprivation in due course?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: