Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IFA Berlin - TomTom Previews Android App, Available In Oct
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IFA Berlin - TomTom Previews Android App, Available In Oct
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Darren, lets just hope your not in the wilds without a wifi or cell signal at every 100 uses.
I can see the point for a one off check but not a repeated check, surely if you install a genuine one your not going to replace with another.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I've asked and been told that it requires a licence validation every 100 launches. I'm waiting confirmation on the actual number but, if that is the case, there really isn't an issue.

A 100 launches would cater for even the most extreme cases where data was not available such as a holiday etc. It explains why I've yet to see the error on my Galaxy SII.

And the licence check can be performed over any data connection, WiFi, 3G etc.
Are you able to clarify that with them Darren?

Does it force a licence check once it has not been able to connect 100 times or does it really check every 100th time it starts? If the latter, then that would be an issue if the n00th start was the first day of a 3 week camping holiday!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK no other sat nav does that does it? And, as others have said, what happens if the 100th is when you are roaming abroad, or have no signal or wifi. Or should you keep a running total of launches in a little black book to make sure you are not caught out?

And I am not sure that the 100 launches is that extreme a number. I always switch the sat nav off and take the phone with me when I get out of the car and switch it back on when I get in. So on a touring holiday, where we are driving around and stopping and looking around the sites there could easily be 5 to 10 "launches" per day.

Good old Tom Tom. 2 years too late; doesn't work on any of the top end new phones; and may let you down when you need it most. I am really glad I stopped using them when I did.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seem it might check every time it is launched and will only throw an error if this fails at the 100th attempt. I'm awaiting clarification.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
I can see the point for a one off check but not a repeated check, surely if you install a genuine one your not going to replace with another.

But the check would be anonymous and so the check has no knowledge of the device in question. As I've said, I'm awaiting clarification on the actual mechanics.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been a big fan of TomTom on PDAs for quite a few years and now seeing whay appears to be a downward slide in TomToms ability to maintain a good product level i somehow think its time to give up on them,
The latest TomTom Android release makes me ponder on the implications for PAYG or low data contracts who switch off background data who with sods law happen to have data switched off and are not in Wifi reach happen to have a licence check and fail, are they going to have to wait for a 100 tries before being restored.

Slightly off topic but also very much apply to TomTom, Personally being on PAYG I paid £30 top up about a month ago and having made only three phone calls all credit gone on data charges, how that changed i dont know but some of the permissions on some Android apps are worrying to say the least.
I think now my allegiance is going to lie with Sygic.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
are they going to have to wait for a 100 tries before being restored.
I dont think that this madness has been suggested, so where did that come from? Shocked
Quote:
I paid £30 top up about a month ago and having made only three phone calls all credit gone on data charges,
Then get a traffic monitor app. That will tell you exactly which apps are using your data. Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Quote:
I dont think that this madness has been suggested, so where did that come from? Shocked

I'm still awaiting official confirmation but, unofficially, the app checks its licence on each launch by connecting to Google Play. If no data connection is available the app will continue to run and only errors and refuses to launch if it has been unable to confirm a valid licence on the previous 100 launch attempts.

As for the data allowance issue, how much data does your £30.00 PAYG credit buy you? It may only be 500MB which can be easily swallowed up. You may be better switching to a service such as GiffGaff where £10 gets you one month's unlimited data and texts AND a couple of hundred minutes of calls. Then you wouldn't need to worry about data usage.

Incidentally, I've since discovered that many apps will connect to Google Play on launch to verify their licence. And the same applies to Amazon Appstore apps. In the latter's case, under 4.2, apps bought via Amazon's store won't launch if they cannot verify their licence. Now that is annoying.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can endorse Darren's recommendation for Giffgaff. My wife uses it for data on her ipad. £5 per month for 500GB does her fine.

By the way the £10 Goodybag only gets you 1Gb per month. The unlimited web access is £12 per month. For that you also get 250 minutes of calls and unlimited texts. Seems good value to me if you are a heavy data user.
Copilot for USA
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not now a high mileage user, I do not have a use for Data, consequently i always switch off background data and in this case i do not know how it switched back on, they other point being permissions i.e. one TomTom permission is "that it can make phone calls without your intervention" surely this is wrong.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Android phone is not just for navigation and if you really do not use data at all with it I would suggest you do not really need such a sophisticated phone. In any event I can't see how you can blame TT for using up £30 worth of data in the month. I guess that other apps will be to blame for that (including CamerAlert if you do not have it set correctly). I suggest you follow M8TJT's advice and see what is using the data up.

And I would also look at Giffgaff. It is certainly what I would use if I wasn't already on a 2 year contract.
Copilot for USA
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
M8TJT WROTE

Quote:

I dont think that this madness has been suggested, so where did that come from?

iTS a question,Just pondering

Peter, I am not blaming Tomtom because i am not using ToimTom but general backgound Data, I do use Data but Mainly Wifi.
Due to personal circumstances my current mileage stands at approx 1300 on Jan 2012 car hence low mobile data usage.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
they other point being permissions i.e. one TomTom permission is "that it can make phone calls without your intervention" surely this is wrong.

Whilst it may sound ominous, what it means in practice is that you can search for a business or contact and initiate a phone call from within the app. TomTom needs that Android permission to permit that function to work. Google Maps has the exact same permission requirement.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The listed permissions always sound worse than they are, and some conspiracy theorists make a field day out of them. Some apps are listing, either in the app itself or in Google Play, exactly what they use each permission for, which should placate all except the most extreme objectors. But they should not be using Android anyway, given the permissions they gave Google when they signed up to Android in the fist place!
Copilot for USA
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, we had one chap asking how he could get CamerAlert without using Google Play as he didn't trust Google. Yet he used an Android phone and had a Gmail email account Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: