Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IFA Berlin - TomTom Previews Android App, Available In Oct
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IFA Berlin - TomTom Previews Android App, Available In Oct
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy3090 wrote:
Hines told us that Android 2.2 and above was supported

Was or is?

Was, would mean that 2.2 is no longer supported. Rolling Eyes
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
I suspect this will be much to little much to late. It certainly is for me. In reality TT is catching up nowadays not leading like they used to. There is nothing that I can see that is not already offered by their more established (on Android) rivals. "Free" map updates are now a given on this platform.

It all depends on how good the routing is. If they use the same engine & routing algorithms that they do in their PND devices they will eclipse their rivals in that if nothing else. I briefly tried Sygic & wasn't that impressed & then bought CoPilot Live Premium whose routing is a joke, so I await with interest, the release & review of TomTom on Android.
wrinklyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: TomTom Android Reply with quote

I agree that ICS is likely to be minimum flavour of Android required but I also think it will be the biggest mistake. The reality is that the biggest selling version to date is Gingerbread and to ignore that version runs the risk of losing thousands of potential sales.
Hope they keep the price competitive.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
It all depends on how good the routing is. If they use the same engine & routing algorithms that they do in their PND devices they will eclipse their rivals in that if nothing else. I briefly tried Sygic & wasn't that impressed & then bought CoPilot Live Premium whose routing is a joke, so I await with interest, the release & review of TomTom on Android.

I have been using Sygic for 3 years now and have no real problems with their routes. Generally speaking they take me where I would expect them to take me when I look at a map. Before that I used Tom Tom, and my wife still has one. I did not and do not see much difference between the two when it comes to routing.

There are always, of course, alternative routes that people who know an area would suggest as being better, but you can't expect any sat nav to know all of those local rat runs. Neither Sygic nor TT pick up my local rat runs and nor would I expect them to. And in any event since I have a reasonably good sense of direction I sometimes ignore Sygic, in the same way as I used to ignore TT, and it, like TT, will quickly recalculate.

The big difference to me is in the technical support side of things. Sygic have people that actually understand the product and are open and honest about things. In my personal experience the same cannot be said of TT. I was left with the impression on occasions that I knew more about their product than the people I was dealing with did, and I am no expert. And I once has one of them tell me that TT would not work at all on my phone, when I had it in front of me with it working! He refused to believe me and refused to help me any further. In the end I gave up and came on this forum instead to get my questions answered.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Andy_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy3090 wrote:
Any news on what version of Android will be needed to run this?
There were reports some time ago that it would only run on ICS.
Stuck on Gingerbread waiting for Vodafone / HTC to pull their finger out.

Not really impressed with Copilot

HTC released a RUU for ICS on the desire S wednesday.
there is no news at all of any OTA updates for it due to how the Change from 2.3.5 to ICS needs to redo phone partitions and the Total loss of all user data not stored on the SD card.

XDA forums have all the info on the RUU , and i can tell you it is Very stable, Very slick and runs CamerAlert Very very nicely.

As for tomtom,, too little too late, sygic had had my £ since i got the HTC 18months ago, and unless tomtom offers something Way over and above sygic do i cant see me changing . and im a "tomtom fan" , had there units and sw for years untill android phone.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
IanS100 wrote:

I have been using Sygic for 3 years now and have no real problems with their routes. Generally speaking they take me where I would expect them to take me when I look at a map. Before that I used Tom Tom, and my wife still has one. I did not and do not see much difference between the two when it comes to routing.

The big difference to me is in the technical support side of things. Sygic have people that actually understand the product and are open and honest about things. In my personal experience the same cannot be said of TT. I was left with the impression on occasions that I knew more about their product than the people I was dealing with did, and I am no expert. And I once has one of them tell me that TT would not work at all on my phone, when I had it in front of me with it working! He refused to believe me and refused to help me any further. In the end I gave up and came on this forum instead to get my questions answered.

A complete lack of customer support & useless / inept support staff is one thing CoPilot & TomTom have in common - Maybe I should be giving Sygic another go
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
A complete lack of customer support & useless / inept support staff is one thing CoPilot & TomTom have in common - Maybe I should be giving Sygic another go

I have not needed to use copilot support much, because I only use it when I am in the USA. The only time I contacted them was by email when I was changing phones, but using the same SD card. I got an email response within a couple of hours telling me exactly what I had to do and it worked. So I can't really complain about them.

Sygic support used to be "very good" when you could email them direct. Now, since they started using a forum based system, it is only "good". You can have a look for yourself by going on Sygic.com and clicking the support button, choosing Android and then clicking on "create a new topic". When the next screen comes up click on "community" and then have a look at some of the questions and answers.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Bukton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is too late. I have Tomtom on Iphone 4 with live traffic, but haven't used it since I tried Waze.
Will I come back, likely no.
Tommy3090
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Android Reply with quote

wrinklyninja wrote:
I agree that ICS is likely to be minimum flavour of Android required but I also think it will be the biggest mistake.

I think this confirms that Gingerbread IS supported.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/47201/tomtom-for-android-app-preview
Western Europe map version v895.4453
PGPSW Camera Alert
Mbeczek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: about time Reply with quote

great news freeky that the screenshots should include my area where I live cant wait to try it
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="peterc10"]
IanS100 wrote:
.........You can have a look for yourself by going on Sygic.com and clicking the support button, choosing Android and then clicking on "create a new topic". When the next screen comes up click on "community" and then have a look at some of the questions and answers.

Cheers, I'll have a look before diving in
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But no news of any TT PNDs? I thought we might have had a launch?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
hairydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
I briefly tried Sygic & wasn't that impressed & then bought CoPilot Live Premium whose routing is a joke...
I've tried CoPilot Live (came as a pre-installed trial) and Sygic on Android, side-by-side with iGo Primo on WinCE. All had the "latest" maps, but only iGo had roads that were less than 18 months old, and it was vastly better at routing, at explaining where to go, and at simple usability.

At the time, iGo Primo wasn't available for Android at all, but now it is, more or less. And it is wonderful. But it is a lesson in how not to market a product: almost impossible to buy!

If iGo Primo was on general sale, they would clean up simply by having a better product.

But if TomTom gets in quick...
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bit worried -- have heard that the latest iPhone (iOS6?) uses TomTom maps, and we all know about the iPhone maps debacle -- will TomTom for Android also have those dodgy maps? Or have I been misinformed?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issues in iOS6 mapping are not TomTom's fault. There are many errors but none of them appear in the TomTom mapping we use so how they got to be there is anyone's guess.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: