Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacing stolen Go740
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing stolen Go740

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan195
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Replacing stolen Go740 Reply with quote

I have recently had my 740 stolen whilst on holiday in Spain, along with all my other possessions I had with me. I need Itinerary planning & live services so, as the latest ones do not have Itinerary Planning, I have bought a second hand 740 off Ebay. I contacted TomTom about swapping over my Live Services & map updates. They said to just log in to my old account in Home & everything will happen automatically. The new Tomtom should be arriving tomorrow and I don't altogether trust TomTom support (it was someone from sales who I had rung to double check about lack of Itinerary Planning on new models). Can someone please confirm that it is as straightforward as they say.

Also is it possible to get my Map Share changes on the the new one, I have full Explorer backups of the old one.

Thanks

Go 740 Live
Go 600
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it ISN'T straightforward.

You could swap the existing account over to the new device, but TT usually say that LIVE and map subscriptions are not swappable to a new machine.

However, they will usually make an exception for units which have been stolen. Expect to have a fairly long phone call and to be asked to supply them with various proofs of purchase for the original and replacement models.

UK Support number is:

0845 161 0009
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. UTC
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought (received five days ago, last Wednesday) a refurbished GO550 Live and logged it against the registration/email for the old dead one. Live services and map update service transferred automatically and I also downloaded (to SD card) the Europe map which I had bought four weeks ago. I have in the last ten minutes downloaded the latest map, UK/ROI v895, from my map update service.

I can't comment on the MapShare matter.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good. TT have obviously made some improvements to their systems. Before now, the forums have always been pretty full of complaints about not being able to transfer map subscriptions.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
That's good. TT have obviously made some improvements to their systems. Before now, the forums have always been pretty full of complaints about not being able to transfer map subscriptions.

Actually, they've been doing it for quite a long time. The transfer problems have arisen because people have registered a new device with a new email address/account (which we recommend in order to avoid problems with different units) and TT have quite reasonably declined to transfer a Europe map to a UK regional device or some variation of map transfer. For example, problems might arise from registering a 750 against a 550 account, or a 550 against a 720 account. And it always gives problems if the owner tries to register a second device against his existing account (in the expectation that he can buy a second device, keep his original device and have them both on one account). In this case, registering a same model device with previous account picks up the previous device's credits. I have been given to understand by TT Support, that my unexpired Live Services subscription of about 11 months has been automatically added to my free 12 months which came with the Refurb 550 - my Live services are showing as valid until 6/8/2014.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
alan195
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, all sorted now.

Any idea how to get the Map Corrections I submitted onto the new 740

Thanks

Go 740 Live
Go 600
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I think is going on with MapShare...

Downloaded MapShare corrections from other people seem to be saved in 3 dat Files; 'ServerNameIndex.dat', 'ServerLineIndex.dat' and 'MapServerPatch.dat'.

For a user's own corrections, it seems that a file in the map directory called 'MapUserPatch.dat' refers to changes in another file (in the root directory) called UserPatch.dat which actually contains the details of the changes.

If you delete either file they recreate themselves but if you do not have a matching pair you seem to lose the changes.

I have not tried copying them across devices myself, but I have removed the root directory file which removed all my changes. When I restored it, my changes were not visible again until I also restored the map directory file.

It also needs to reboot after copying the files before the corrections become visible.

So.... if you have a fairly recent backup of the old Go, try copying those two files into the same places on the new unit.

Please let us know if it's successful! Smile
alan195
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked the changes I can remember making & they seem to have been corrected on the map. If I come across any I have corrected that aren't on the map I will give it a go.

Go 740 Live
Go 600

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: