Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - screen protection and cleaning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

screen protection and cleaning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjolnir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: screen protection and cleaning Reply with quote

was wondering with an ipaq (or i guess any handhelds in general), what the best way of cleaning the screen would be?

and also, i have seen screen protectors advertised on the net, but would ur average clear sticky plastic book covers from the local stationery be suitable for protecting the screen as well?
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mjolnir,

I'm not for one minute suggesting that this is the best (or indeed the cheapest) way of cleaning a PDA screen, as there are probably people out there with PDAs who have found much more cost-effective ways, but there is a special PDA cleaning spray you could by from somewhere like Amazon.

HTH.

Bo Peep.
Clarkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cleaning I use any wipes intended for cleaning TFT screens, not necessarily too expensive and shouldn't cause any harm.

As for screen protectors, I went with some rather pricey write shield ones. About £20 for 3. It may not be necessary to spend this much but I bought them because they were recommended by other users and I can at least confirm they work well.

You don't want to put anything 'sticky' on the screen. The proper screen protectors stick on like cling film (but thicker) or tax disk holders on car windscreens and are easily removed. Don't forget the screen has to remain touch sensitive. I have read reports of cheap screen protectors causing problems in this respect.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I do it the cheap way by breathing on the screen and either using a hanky or a glasses lens cleaning cloth you can get from most opticians. This works well because I'm always finding my screen getting dirty when I least expect it and I don't have to then carry anything special around with me.
Clarkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, are you not the Dave who has half a dozen PPC's set up in his car, a special bag full of GPS receivers, etc? Can't be, otherwise you would surely be able to find room for a small pack of screen wipes Laughing
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am, but there's one suttle issue. I keep losing them! 8O Happy
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Has anyone out there any experience of these which I found on the PDA Mods website?

http://www.pdamods.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IP22SP

Interestingly it says that they help to stop glare, which I am now finding a bit of a problem now that (some) sunny days are starting to be here - As I plan to use my satnav system mostly in the summer to navigate around the country when we have visiting (American) relatives and also to take my wife to various UK places - the sun is a bit of a begger - how do others get around this "Challenge"

Would the screen protectors be a worthwhile investment?

Cheers

Steve
Carll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Screen Protectors Reply with quote

Hi
I got some screen protectors from PDAMods.com, for my Axim X5. They work well enough, but you can see what appears to be a honycomb effect underneith, is this surposed to be there, or is this particular to just this make?
Justin-case
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a screen wipe reveiw on its way Laughing Out Loud

JC
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most screen protectors will be clear but you will see a slight difference in color to the screen.

I doubt we'll be doing any reviews of screen protectors, but anyone else is welcome to!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the cloth and spray from a WriteSHIELD Deluxe pack on both my Pocket PC, my expensive high-end Dell TFT monitor and the laptop that is sometimes around these parts. It works really well - I recommend both the spray and the WriteSHIELD protectors.

David
Zorba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are thinking of buying any kind of screen protector, a word of warning: make sure you have a steady hand, and don't rush the installation! I bought a Brando screen protector for about £7 - it's a single 'reusable' and 'washable' protector for that money. You're supposed to clean the screen and then peel the backing off it as you apply it, but you're also supposed to be able to remove it, wash it and reapply it.

I managed to apply it pretty well the first time apart from one tiny bubble right at the end that just wouldn't shift. After a few weeks and more fingerprints I decided to remove, wash and reapply the screen protector. Suffice it to say that after several fruitless and frustrating attempts to reapply it, I have totally stopped using it as every single time a piece of dust or some air or whatever would get between it and the screen.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: