Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The option to update UK safety cameras has disappeared
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The option to update UK safety cameras has disappeared
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just connected my 550 Live to Home this morning, and Home has downloaded UK Premium Speed cameras version 22988 to my PND.

That's the first UK speed camera update provided to me via Home since August.

If TT CS are to be trusted this information will presumably have been sent to my PND over the air, as the speed camera files from Home are "inconsequential".

If that is the case, and these new files are "inconsequential" why has my 550 downloaded them? Surely they would already be on my 550?

I have to say that I've seen absolutely no sign of any obvious downloading on my 550 Live from over the air, other than the usual 'chatter' you can hear when it first gets turned on in the car. Whether that 'chatter' also includes the speed cameras is anyone's guess.

I've no intention of following this up with TT CS, as any response from them will be "inconsequential".

....and No, I don't actually use the speed cameras on my 550. Smile

EDIT.... The .cam files in my statdat folder are dated today. Unfortunately I hadn't checked the folder prior to connecting to Home this AM so have no idea what (if anything) was in that folder previously.
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just proves that tomtom talk out of there a*se.
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear that other TomTom 550 users have noticed the same problem with the (absence of) UK speed cameras .... Laughing

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-x00-x10-x20-x30-x40-x50-HOME/TomTom-Go-550-Safety-Camera/td-p/319480
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not the only thread on TT Discussions about this problem. Their Staff member Ditte has a habit of asking posters to PM her with details of their units, wich results in the problem not being aired in the thread. I went through about half a dozen PMs back and forth with her on this matter, sidelined from another thread. At the end of it all, she said my device had the up to date file and should get the downloads. I abandoned it because I was getting a replacement 550 and I don't use their cameras anyway, just thought it was a bit of a nerve to charge for Live Services but not provide the cameras. In the thread concerned, she stated very categorically that Live devices now get the camera updates downloaded Over The Air and only non-Live devices get them via Home. She never did offer any comment on the absence of any indication that cameras are being downloaded or downloaded date/time stamp, despite my making the suggestion that TT should do something of that nature - all we get is "Last mobile speed camera update: Speed cameras are up to date".

With my replacement device I did get a download, version 21711, which she said was the most up to date at the time (3 weeks ago). I have just connected again, got a "critical" update of Home for my Mac and got another camera download, version 23034.

However, anybody who uses TomTom camera database instead of the PGPSW one needs their driving licence (I did originally say "head", but thought that might be a bit offensive to some) examining. Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sadly Ditte makes all the right noises about trying to help BUT alas does little more than offer to help but never seems to actually help

Speedcams do NOT come OTA on the GO x40/x50 Live devices irrespective of what TT say. I wish they could get their support side "up to speed"
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today:-
Ditte: If your device is not a LIVE device you should update the speed cameras through HOME or MyTomTom.

Me: This is VERY misleading (at least for the x40 & x50 Live devices)!
Normal speedcams are NOT downloaded Over-The-Air (only mobile ones apparently) and still need to be updated/downloaded via HOME
Should there not be a definitive (& correct) statement regarding this mis-information not only on this board but also on the TT website!

Ditte: All LIVE devices, are receiving speed cameras (fixed and mobile) over the air.
This feature was introduced to MyTomTom connected LIVE devices with App version 10.500.
And for HOME connected LIVE devices the feature was introduced with application version 9.400.

Me: I'm sorry but I think you'll find this is not true.
Myself and many on PGPSW forum & others are ONLY getting speedcam updates on their Home-connected_Live devices like x40/x50's via HOME with 9.400 or later application.
I would ask that you please recheck this information with your people again

.....I've just proved it by switching on & gone Live till Live icon stopped spinning, then checked and no new cams.
Connected to Home and, yes, new cams DOWNLOADED.

Jeez!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth I connected to Home today just to see what it offered.

Go940 - Along with all the other stuff, I was was offered "Premium Speed cameras United Kingdom". "More info" says it is v23034

Go950 - Offered all the same things including "Premium Speed cameras United Kingdom" v23034

So it's all working OK here.
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. It's a crying shame that TT don't even know though!
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest comms from their Discussions board

Ditte: Hi again Justbrowsing,
Can you send me an updated version of your system information? Then I'll forward it for investigation. Feel free to ask your PocketGPS friends to do the same

Me: I don't think that will help Ditte because Premium speedcams ARE downloaded by HOME irrespective of what your so called "experts" are saying and this has also been verified/confirmed by the big guys on PGPSW!
So, in summary, please do not tell everyone that they're OTA because they are not. Someone your end should be shot, sacked, reprimanded or retrained because they are basically giving you (and this community) false information.
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just connected my 550 Live to Home. An update to Home was installed, and then it downloaded UK Premium Speed Cameras version 23034 to my device.

What a surprise!! Laughing
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonbaker12345 wrote:
I've just connected my 550 Live to Home. An update to Home was installed, and then it downloaded UK Premium Speed Cameras version 23034 to my device.

What a surprise!! Laughing

Maybe a surprise to TT (especially Ditte) but not to us

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: