Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OSM on Garmin satnavs?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OSM on Garmin satnavs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> OpenStreetMap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy_fy8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: OSM on Garmin satnavs? Reply with quote

Last post in here was at the end of March so here goes...

I've been using OSM on my Garmin nuvi1310 (and a relative's 255W) with good results and am wondering if anyone else does this?

I can discuss in more detail (on the forum) if anyone else is interested in this topic.

Cheers Andrew
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use them too, both maps for UK and France. In the UK try www.talkytoaster.info if you haven't already Smile

I often run with both the Garmin and the OSM map selected so I can use Garmin routing with the better detail from the OSM map Wink
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used it extensively in Spain earlier this year on a Garmin Quest. It worked well even in the the remote Extremadura region

A few hiccups when planning on Mapsource (would not route up a couple or roads, probably due to a break in the original mapping data) and mini roundabouts prompted calls for right turns - but nothing that abit of commonsense and a Mk1 eyeball could not handle

Otherwise digitally unmapped regions are often well catered for -have also used it in North Cyprus and heard of it's use with 90% coverage in the Himalayas

One issue may be the sheer amount of detail making available memory even more critical than when using Garmin supplied products
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never run into a memory problem, and I have what appear to be very detailed maps on my 1310, 1490 and Etrex 20, often running both the OSM and the Garmin map at the same time on my auto GPS.

I have however made the effort to delete all the un-needed voice, vehicle, keyboard, text and EULA files ... amazing how much space that frees up Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I have however made the effort to delete all the un-needed voice, vehicle, keyboard, text and EULA files ... amazing how much space that frees up Wink

You know, I've never thought of doing that... WOuld you care to write a brief guide on how other users could do that? Which folders, files etc are safe to remove.

MaFt
andy_fy8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kritou wrote:
I used it extensively in Spain earlier this year on a Garmin Quest. It worked well even in the the remote Extremadura region

A few hiccups when planning on Mapsource (would not route up a couple or roads, probably due to a break in the original mapping data) and mini roundabouts prompted calls for right turns - but nothing that abit of commonsense and a Mk1 eyeball could not handle

Otherwise digitally unmapped regions are often well catered for -have also used it in North Cyprus and heard of it's use with 90% coverage in the Himalayas

One issue may be the sheer amount of detail making available memory even more critical than when using Garmin supplied products

Not used mapsource but I have used Mario Certelli's createimg scripts. For the British Isles I altered the script to include the --drive-on-left option when calling mkgmap.

As regards memory, I find it depends on whether a TYP file is used and whether lots of polygons such as woods are displayed. With one ready made map that used a "fussy" TYP file and had everything but the kitchen sink, the unit would reboot if I panned or zoomed out too quickly. My typ file is quite simple, doing not much more than changing the colours of roads. The style file likewise omits a lot of items I'm not interested in.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my nuvi, I saved 61.6Mb by deleting the following files, all in the Garmin folder.

Help folder, deleted everything but British_English (other languages not required).

Poi folder, deleted the whole set of Cyclops files (Garmin camera files not required).

Text folder, deleted everything but British_English (other languages not required).

Vehicle folder, deleted everything but car_blue (other vehicles not required).

Voice folder, deleted everything but English_British and English_American (other languages not required).

It is the last three folders mentioned, that provide the largest space savings.

Obviously I didn't just delete outright the files I mentioned - I backed them up to PC first, in case of need.

I have my own reason for keeping the two language files. The first one is doctored to remove "recalculating" etc, and is kept in reserve for if I want navigation instructions. More normally I use a doctored English_American which has most of the navigation instructions replaced with short silence, which is preferable on home ground.

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> OpenStreetMap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: