Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Police policy on speeding - double standards?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Police policy on speeding - double standards?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
@DHN
Not relevent. Canadian law is not applicable in UK.

I was not implying it was. Ontario traffic laws aren't even applicable in other provinces. I just posted it as the laws in my province see the issue.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Glendinning: House of Lords refuses DPP leave to appeal Reply with quote

The fact is the giving of a warning not the means of giving the warning. The legal finding is that the police have to prove a warning was given to motorists who were speeding [or about to speed?]. It remains the legal precedent for determining such cases in England and Wales.

Edit: Still not satisfied, the DPP attempted to pursue the case further. However, on May 8th [2006], three Law Lords, led by Lord Chief Justice Lord Bingham, ruled that the DPP could not appeal against the High Courts decision, also coming down on the side of Mr Glendinning.
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200506/minutes/060425/ldminute.htm [see section 11]

There is no law of 'misuse of headlights', it would be a driving without due consideration offence, and proof would be needed that the use of headlights impeded other motorists in some way.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Last edited by Guivre46 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 am; edited 3 times in total
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

Quote:
In 2008 a new law was passed by the European Commission that meant all new cars and small vans purchased after February 2011 had to have daytime running lights, and lorries will follow suit from August 2012.

Bummer, my Astra van registered in May 2011 doesn't have DLR, so technically I must be breaking the law Confused

Mark
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too,My Focus Titanium was registered Jan 18 2012 and is not fitted with Daylight running lights,should I complain to ford perhaps under warranty.
Its hard following the discussion on Auto headlights because mine only switch between full and dipped and what the hell has to do with rear lights, having said that i havent bothered using mine on my current car because my previous car never seemed to switch at the appropiate times.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Its hard following the discussion on Auto headlights because mine only switch between full and dipped
But some do switch on when it gets dark. You are refering to
Quote:
and what the hell auto dip. has to do with rear lights,
Oh, do keep up. On page 1 jonrome wrote
Quote:
I want to decide when to use lights not let lhave a dumb computer do it & frighten the driver behind who thinks I'm braking.
So he was trying to imply that when his headlights were switched on, the rear lights would come on also, confusing the drivers behind into thinkling he was breaking, but he is careful not to confuse following drivers by considerately manually switching on his lights.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok M8TJT, Must pay more attention.

Yet another tired old man
mistersaxon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: "Misuse" of headlights Reply with quote

The police have played a canny hand with this charge, rather than "interfering with the course of justice" as their chosen offence is not affected by what other drivers were doing or were likely to do (i.e. speeding past the camera). The question is: is this a real offence? Bearing in mind that they are issuing tickets and penalties for it then the specific offence detailed on the paperwork must exist whether the drivers committed it or not. Even the police can't just make stuff up and expect it to get past a judge and legal counsel! I wonder what the exact offence is and to what piece of legislation it is contrary.

Even Constable Savage wasn't allowed to prosecute people for "looking at him in a funny manner" or "loitering with intent to use a pedestrian crossing" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5dy9URkLFI )
w/ Interphone BT headset on a Honda Blackbird (should change this really - the bike, not the headset)
crisemson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absurd. I have certainly used headlights to warn oncoming traffic if there is an accident or obstruction around the next bend of country lanes, and to take extra care. Is that illegal and face a £30 fine as well? If so, should I stop doing it, and let the multiple pile up take place - is that what the police are advising?

If it were me, I would request other cases to be taken into consideration (above), and take it to court. A definition of "misuse of headlights" is then required, to stop this nonsense.
rbphot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Flashing headlights Reply with quote

If the police tried to issue a ticket for flashing your headlights at on coming cars appoaching a mobile speed trap, there is a valid argument and within the law.

The mear fact they have set up a speed trap will cause drivers who see it to brake heavly even if they are not speeding, it's a natural reaction, therefore warning other drivers that traffic is slowing unexpectedly ahead is not obstructing the law.

So if you are issued then fight the ticket, it just shows the lack of understanding of the law that many officers have and even the senior ones, whoever thought up the sting should be slapped around the head and told not to be so stupid.

In fact the police are causing the black spot by their presence and locating the cameras around bends or other sneaky places, as the risk of an accident will be higher, I bet the anti driver faction don't include this sort of data in their speeding studies, data over many years have shown that the number of road deaths is almost constant, so are speed cameras just a money spinner for the safety parnerships(Run by ex senior police officers), and why is it some ploice forces are removing fix sites.
unwanted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonrome wrote:
Auto headlights - thats inspired! I hate them anyway. I want to decide when to use lights not let lhave a dumb computer do it & frighten the driver behind who thinks I'm braking.

therefore one would conclude that if the driver behind is frightened by a persons lights (or brakes) coming on they are either driving to close or shouldn't be on the road...

to many idiots on the roads these days, a) with faulty lights (front and/or rear), b) don't bother to turn there lights on... c) same goes for the use of indicators... most drivers seem to think these items are optional extras that need to be fitted...
TieJustice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonrome wrote:
Auto headlights - thats inspired! I hate them anyway. I want to decide when to use lights not let lhave a dumb computer do it & frighten the driver behind who thinks I'm braking.

First of all 360 people were killed last year in the UK by motorist not using there lights.

About time if you speed and you get a fine that's it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: