Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Data usage / cost
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Data usage / cost
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Data usage / cost Reply with quote

the LIVE services need a phone data connection as does GPS World Camera Alert when working on Android. I'm concerned as to how much data capacity is required when travelling outside the UK. Clearly this has not been a problem on my GO LIVE 940 since it has a TomTom SIM which sorts it out for no extra cost over the annual subscription. In the Android app on my SGS2 it will be my SIM and its exorbitant data rates when outside the country! Any thoughts?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you set CamerAlert to never show maps it will use no data at all in use. But all you will get is a warning that a camera is approaching. It will not show you where it is.

You do not say what satnav app you are using on your SGS2. If it is one that can import the PGPSW database then you can run it in the foreground with the warn when near facility on but muted and rely on CamerAlert running in the background for the verbal warnings. That is what I do with my HTC Sensation running Sygic.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Peter. I'm using TomTom on SGS2 so there is a data requirement for downloading traffic info. Also, I assume that the TomTom programme will use my SIM to upload traffic data (my speed etc) to the TomTom central database?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid I do not know the answers as to what the Android TT app does with data. I would think though that there would be some way to stop it using data at all. In any event I would guess that if you disabled data roaming on your phone that would prevent it sending or receiving any data. I always do that when I am abroad and have never had an app override it. Of course if you do that you will not have HD traffic.
Copilot for USA
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a search in Google Play for an app called something like APN Switch /Widget. It's a switch to toggle on/off data so that you are in full control as to when things get down/uploaded.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks. But I'm still left with the question: When I'm in France and want to get traffic info, can I afford it? ie. does anyone know how much data does LIVE services transmit in the form of traffic info to the TomTom application in an average day's motoring? Is there an app to measure it while I drive around here in the UK when it's relatively cheap?
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i'm travelling in Spain, I use a cheap Spanish PAYG sim, I also have a cheap phone. I put the foreign sim in my smartphone so I can use data (500mb for 5€ in Spain, must be a similar in France) and put my UK Orange sim in the cheapie phone. I can use everything on my S2 then that uses data without worrying. Even if your S2 is locked to network, it would be cheaper to have it unlocked and go down this route.

Mark
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or... Take a look at this sim when travelling to multi countries: http://www.holidayphone.co.uk/payg-prepaid-sim-card-france.html
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
Or... Take a look at this sim when travelling to multi countries: http://www.holidayphone.co.uk/payg-prepaid-sim-card-france.html

The link is to a SIM card that costs £5 per day. Thats £150 per month if my maths is correct. And it is only for France!
Copilot for USA
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm using TomTom on SGS2 so there is a data requirement for downloading traffic info.

TMCsucks, If there is no answer forthcoming, I would suggest that you have the information available yourself. If you already have the TT app installed the next drive you go on in the uk with TT traffic enabled take a note of the data downloaded and divide that by either the time or distance travelled, extrapolate to work out the average data required per 100 miles or 1 hour. Work out your estimated distance/journey time abroad and pro-rata that by the roaming charges your network operator charges.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:

The link is to a SIM card that costs £5 per day. Thats £150 per month if my maths is correct. And it is only for France!

That is just what I found with a quick Google, and that was the French page, their site is much bigger!!. My experience is more Spain as already said. I am sure a local sim card is available at a much lower cost. If I were going there, I would look into it a bit deeper, but i'm sure we have users in France that may be able to advise?
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3G Watchdog is a free and paid for Android app that can be se to run all the time or just when you have a 3G connection.
From the settings page you can see a list of data usage by all the apps using it.

You can set a usage period, normally one month or what suites you to see what is using what over a days use, say.
You should get an idea of how much data is being used and work out how much it costs you in UK.

Like others have said, I would go down route of local sim card for each country, that's what I have done in the past in Thailand, OZ, NZ and Malaysia/Borneo.

Good luck.
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. I note that the SGS2 (on 4.0.3) has the ability in Settings/Data Usage to monitor data usage both overall and by programme over user set periods going back to when I upgraded to 4.0.3 in July. That should help. I agree the use of a local PAYG SIM is the solution when on holiday but I'm trying to get a feel in advance what it might cost if for instance I went to France for a day or weekend and don't have a local SIM....although I guess if you can get one for €5...It's just that I remember with a shudder the clog dance trying to get local PAYG SIMs activated in Canada and Australia. It's not like the UK where you just purchase, plug and play.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here: http://tinyurl.com/7vl2lxw
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
Have a look here: http://tinyurl.com/7vl2lxw
There's no need to use TinyURL (or similar) for links in these forums. Many people will shy away from clicking on a link with an obfuscated destination.

A link to your own post:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=588646#588646

Can be made to look like this by using

Code:
[url=http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=588646#588646]this[/url]

i.e.

[url= -- FULL URL -- ] -- LINK DESCRIPTION -- [/url]

and when you hover over it, you can see where it's actually going to take you!!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: