Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why you dropped or intend to drop TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why you dropped or intend to drop TomTom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking around at other sat navs I have just renewed both my TT maps and Live services for a year. For me even with the reduced live route coverage my XL Live IQ beats all my fellow couriers sat navs hands down. I only wish TT would go back to how it was a couple of years ago then I am sure this thread wouldn't be here.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2216 wrote:
After looking around at other sat navs I have just renewed both my TT maps and Live services for a year. For me even with the reduced live route coverage my XL Live IQ beats all my fellow couriers sat navs hands down. I only wish TT would go back to how it was a couple of years ago then I am sure this thread wouldn't be here.

As far as I am concerned the worst thing about TT is that the Go series 5x0, 7x0 and 9x0 started very well and upgrades actually added facilities and functionality.

Then the "dumbing down" came along and functions were removed - my 520 has an mp3 player, my 540 doesnt and several functions in the software have been removed.

TT used to be the "gold standard" for sat nav, now they are a company that has lost its way and doesnt know whether it wants to be the best, in the middle range or just a name that meant something once!

A bit like Nokia - they used to be the largest manufacturer of mobile phones but made some seriously bad decisions over the smartphone market and are in serious financial trouble now.
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
A bit like Nokia - they used to be the largest manufacturer of mobile phones but made some seriously bad decisions over the smartphone market and are in serious financial trouble now.

A couple of billion cash in the bank, they just spending it faster than they earn it...i'll swap positions today! Laughing
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
GMC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet dropped TT, but certainly intend to do so when replacement looms.

My 540 went haywire on a trip home from Cornwall a few weeks ago - shutting down without warning and then endlessly trying to reboot. Fortunately I still had my 'spare' 520 in the car and this fired up quite happily after months of idleness.

I thought the 540 was completely kaput - it worked on the dock via HOME but continued to sulk un-docked. With trepidation I eventually ordered an 820 Live - and what a mistake that was. I thought I would be able to live without the excellent 540 screen mount - click on, with 12v connecting automatically (for the uninitiated) - replaced by a crummy micro USB lead that was very difficult to insert and remove - and would have to be removed and taken indoors whenever connecting to the PC. When the 820 was connected, 'My TomTom' was a farce, constantly telling me about updates I couldn't download and urging me to set up an account that I already had. (I then realised just what a good system HOME was!) Contacting TT was a waste of time - although I gave them the serial number at the outset they wanted it again, and included in their response was the usual guff about how pleased they were that I had contacted them, blah, blah, blah....much along the lines of previous requests for assistance in time gone by.

Needless to say they did not have any useful suggestions, despite my having provided the detail of the problems.

In the meantime I had another go at the 540. Having searched this (excellent) forum I did a full format, followed by a reinstall of everything via HOME, bar the map. This went in last, from my backup. Yesss!! The 540 was happy again, and has continued to work faultlessly since then.

The 820 has gone back, for refund, and I won't be looking for another unit from TT when the 540 gives up the ghost. Why? As TT bring out newer models they seem intent on stripping out so much useful stuff that was previously included. And why bin HOME?? Their customer service (so-called) is, in my case, extremely irritating, frustrating and frequently unproductive, and comments here suggest I'm not alone.

It really saddens me to see TT slipping gently beneath the waves as a result of what seems to me to be some kind of death wish. I have until now been a real fan of theirs, having started with an HP iPaq all those years ago, and having recommended their devices to friends and family ever since. However, now that the consumer of their products seems to be well down their list of priorities I will be looking elsewhere when the time comes.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the horns of a dilemma. My GO550 Live services run out in 7 days. Because HD Traffic is so poor these days I am in two minds as to whether to renew. Probably will, just for the Google Search (I took out the map update service and I've just bought a Europe map for us to have a holiday doing the Grande Tour in September, so maybe HD Traffic will work over there?).

I have to completely agree with your last paragraph.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:

Tomtom bought TeleAtlas, Nokia bought Navteq....

Profits disappear, shareholders unhappy, innovation ceases, sales down....

Coincidence?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: