Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why you dropped or intend to drop TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why you dropped or intend to drop TomTom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

In fact they are a joke in my office - we always wait on the stories if someone borrows one, on which route it takes them!

I get the sneeky feeling that your office is TomTom Customer Service (or lack of), or maybe the the Fan Club
dazzabird
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think ive had about 7 devices over the years...My current model is the VIA 125 which i think is the worst of the bunch ( very slow menus ) and this will possibly be my last one.

I will keep the device but will not renew the LIVE sub when it expires in august, have been running Google maps on my sensation XL and it more or less does what i need.

Sorry TT....Think you lost it along the way
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Well, I wish it would take this one (of course, I always do) which saves more than a mile and irrespective of road class, it's quicker to use my lane than the main road. My own experience is that they rarely go for lane shortcuts - I run my 520 in 2D mode to see if I can spot a shortcut.

To be fair to TT that's a narrow single track road which might be fine for cars but not lorries.

I've seen this type of routing a few times. TT will take me what seems like "round the houses" where there is a shorter route. However the shorter version includes single track lanes. It would be useful to have a user option to select these types of lanes or not.
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Well, I wish it would take this one (of course, I always do) which saves more than a mile and irrespective of road class, it's quicker to use my lane than the main road. My own experience is that they rarely go for lane shortcuts - I run my 520 in 2D mode to see if I can spot a shortcut.

My 540 Live (v8.371) does take the shortcut by default (Fastest Route, IQ routes enabled, no specific time/date, map v860.3101).

To be honest i prefer to avoid very narrow country lanes in case there is some idiot coming too quick the other way round blind bends. I've had some near misses and a couple of broken door mirrors due to people not slowing down. A pity the road width is not used in the routing selection, then narrow roads could (optionally) be avoided.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRCC wrote:
My 540 Live (v8.371) does take the shortcut by default (Fastest Route, IQ routes enabled, no specific time/date, map v860.3101).

So does my 720 with latest UK map and app.
Samsung Galaxy S21
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved away from TT about 6 months ago.

The HD Traffic range reduction and lack of timely action from TT was the reason, I had a XL LIVE which was an excellent device when launched, but Nav9 slowed it down too much.

I now use a VW RNS-510 integrated sat nav, which is very good, and use Radio 5 Live and RDS-TMC for traffic, as well as Nokia Drive on my Windows 7 phone.

I would return to TT if/when they sort out the HD traffic with some form of intelligent/dynamic range for traffic incidents as was discussed in great depth here and on TT discussion forum. The fact that they deny that problems exist (remember the RDS-TMC receiver issues a few years ago) and then take ages to fix them undermine my confidence in the brand.
princeofpeace
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my story goes likes this:- started with a TT700 but got fed up paying for map upgrades with what appeared to be no changes to my every day usage.

So bought a Garmin nuvi 1300T and was disappointed with this limited route editing and primitive UI (compared to TT) but stuck with it for the last couple of years. Also life time map update was the main reason to swap. Not that I saw any obvious changes, or improvements to the UI. The traffic live stuff was hit and miss. Cautiously pleased to see green car icon but suspicious when traffic issues identified as many times not present when approached, so all in all not helpful for journey planning. Also not able to avoid parts of route or see a text version of route limited my planning and was frustrating especially if trying to seek alternatives.

Useful for some, I am sure, was the Eco info but I found it a gimmick - nice to know but still going to fill up and drive so no influence on my journey or travel style.

As for camera alerts, the Garmin display is not well thought out and obstructs the view which has caused me to misread the directions. The text box used is less than half filled but displays across the middle of the screen and does not disappear until the camera is passed - all I need to see is the icon as with the TT

Plus I had reboot and frame freeze on every journey - something I never experienced with my TT700

Recent software update for Garmin caused it not to work and so have now gone back to TT

Also my TT700 is still going - no issues and the wife uses it all the time - have not upgraded maps or software for over a year.

I read with interested issues people have with TT, I also read the same with Garmin, and others so bottom line they are all good and they are all bad and really down to personal preference on experience.

To add for context, I drive a lot and dependent on my sat nav as each journey has a different destination covering around 25-30k a year
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickj2903 wrote:
The fiasco of app 9.058 slowing down Live services on my Go 940 was enough for me. I struggled for somewhere in the region of 18 months with TT denying that there was a problem then fobbing me off saying that the next update should resolve the issue (an issue which apparently no other users had reported).

TT have just shipped my Go 540 after "repair" for the "go slow" of the Live services.

Initially it was sent to the UK centre who simply reset it to the original navcore 8.xx and returned it with instructions to "connect to TT Home to instrall the latest version". Neadless to say this broke the Live services again.

This time it has been to Netherlands, "the repair has been completed" and it was shipped this morning.

Should be interesting to see whether they have actually fixed it!

When the Live subscription runs out in January I will have to decide whether to stick with the TT unit. I don't want a "dumbed down" device with all the facilities they used to have removed (used my Go 520 at the weekend, complete with built in mp3 player and TMC traffic - a blast from the past).

What I would really, really like (from any supplier) is traffic data which actually tells / shows me what the alternative route is! The "there is a route which is nn minutes faster" isn't much use if the proposed change is 100 miles away or it is diverting me off the M1 / M62 through every town along the A62 etc at 5:00pm on a Friday!

And it really is time I updated my signature - new navcore and maps on 540 and Nexus One has been replaced with a Galaxy Nexus Very Happy
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
The "there is a route which is nn minutes faster" isn't much use if the proposed change is 100 miles away or it is diverting me off the M1 / M62 through every town along the A62 etc at 5:00pm on a Friday!
But that's exactly what a lot of people seem to want, and moan because they are not getting it (What thay paid for) Shocked
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Greenglide wrote:
The "there is a route which is nn minutes faster" isn't much use if the proposed change is 100 miles away or it is diverting me off the M1 / M62 through every town along the A62 etc at 5:00pm on a Friday!
But that's exactly what a lot of people seem to want, and moan because they are not getting it (What thay paid for) Shocked

Indeed it is. The case in point is perhaps extreme, but heading north on the M6 with just the A6 as an alternative, it is actually handy to know that even with 5pm traffic you can still be faster. I've had the motorway severely restricted before and essentially had to sit for a few hours. The key though is having the information, and letting the driver decide.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Indeed it is. The case in point is perhaps extreme, but heading north on the M6 with just the A6 as an alternative, it is actually handy to know that even with 5pm traffic you can still be faster. I've had the motorway severely restricted before and essentially had to sit for a few hours. The key though is having the information, and letting the driver decide.

If the roads you are being diverted off onto are covered by the HDTraffic then this works, if you are being diverted onto what are effectively country roads with no real information about current traffic situation you need to make a decision.

I don't mind that but the TT doesnt give you any information about the proposed alternative - it offers me an alternative but no details.

Having said that without a large screen or stopping to study the route (not legal on a motorway) there isnt a simple means I can think of. A bit like the road signs that say "delays between junction 25 and junction 30" when I don't know whether I will turned off by then! They always annoy me be supplying too little information on the overhead signgs Mad (or is it just me?)
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally given up and not renewed my Live Services as they are taking so long to connect. Then when they drop out losing all the traffic info whilst it takes what seems like forever to reconnect again by which time I am stuck in a traffic jam.

Then there is the longer distance issues, do I go North via the A1 or M1, it is roughly the same distance so traffic is a big decider in this and HD traffic no longer tells me this.

So I now have a 940 without Live Services and I am now regretting taking out another years map updates a month or so ago.

Hopefully some better device and service will come out soon from some manufacturer.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
If the roads you are being diverted off onto are covered by the HDTraffic then this works, if you are being diverted onto what are effectively country roads with no real information about current traffic situation you need to make a decision.

I don't mind that but the TT doesnt give you any information about the proposed alternative - it offers me an alternative but no details.

I know what you mean, but this is where the range comes in - because you have been watching the state of the road ahead from hundreds of miles away, you can be confident that you have a picture of the state as you get near. And most motorways have the nearby A roads covered for delays, so they will be taken into account. I drove down the M6 onto the M5 one time and there were 20 miles of delays. The alternative route included some delays too, but only a few minutes, and I saved over an hour.

HD Traffic is all about supplying information to the driver. As much as possible. The hiding of problems more than any distance away is poor (though perhaps an option that could be chosen).
defi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off with a TomTom Go (still got it somewhere) about 3 weeks after its initial release, it was ok apart from an occasional lockup, the original mount lasted 18 months or so, the 1st replacement about 3 weeks! I next got myself a 700 (still have this as well but don’t have a mount Sad ) which was great (apart from the mount issue), next was a 710, worst of the lot IMHO, very poor mount, which for female hands (gf), was very difficult to secure to and then remove from the screen, this compounded with the problem with charging after 6 months of use (again mount related) resulted in its sale prior to end of warranty.
Next was a tt1 2nd edition ( I got used, from an auction site), which I still use for work just about every day, the mount was still an issue rather poor “stickability”Sad, I got round this with Velcro, sticking it directly to the dash, I use the usb traffic receiver which I find very useful.
It easily fits in a coat/jacket pocket and for me is the best of the bunch. The only thing this unit lacks is handsfree
Last year I purchased a 750 live factory refurb, at last a decent mount Smile I travel across Europe a couple of times a month and the hands free is a godsend, pity that it cannot read out texts (like my 700) imho Tom Tom really need to sort out Bluetooth phone compatibility , it has always been an issue, and has not really got any better.
I generally find routing to be ok, I have (just like everybody else) been routed along dirt tracks, once it (TT GO) tried to get me to turn down a fire route off the M25 Sad, however the driver is still responsible for determining whether or not to take the advice offered. And all are better than an incompetent map reader in the passenger seat Smile
I have over the years had the use of various Navman, and Garmin units and also for a while a Becker unit, the Navmans where truly horrible to operate not at all intuitive, the Garmins I found to be ok but not as user friendly as the Tomtom, the Becker had very good spoken directions but a rather poor display
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
xtraseller wrote:

In fact they are a joke in my office - we always wait on the stories if someone borrows one, on which route it takes them!

I get the sneeky feeling that your office is TomTom Customer Service (or lack of), or maybe the the Fan Club

Neither, just liking things that work, and for me, Garmins - whilst a quick UI, mapping looks horrid, turn perspective completely deceptive and route quality poor

Ideal for me would be Garmin build quality, Navman routing, TT HD Traffic and HQ Routes, and Navigon Active Lane Guidance (but over full 1/4 RHS of screen)

Then add a monthly subscription for monthly map updates (or better), speed cameras, and UI updates and you would have one very happy user

Add a good battery (maybe 5hr) (I would accept a chunky unit as it is vehicle-based for me) and you've got the sale

Until then I'll keep looking, but using my TT mainly (but not exclusively)
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: