Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why you dropped or intend to drop TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why you dropped or intend to drop TomTom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 520 still does everything I want from a navigation device. It gets used every working day and apart from one annoying quirk/bug/feature* introduced by the latest navcore I would not want anything else.

Should it fail (looks desperatley for wood to touch) I don't think I will be replacing it with a newer version Tomtom as they just don't seem to have all the essential features that my 520 has. Maybe try to find a refurb x20.

I have CamerAlert and Sygic Aura (Europe with a traffic subscription) on my HTC Desire HD and these combined allow for the times I do not have my 520 with me.

I also have a Birdview SatNav factory fitted into my Nissan X-Trail which does a very acceptable job of routing and traffic avoidance. It's biggest let down though is the lack of ability to add your own POIs

My wife's XL Live (Europe) will see us through the summer holidays touring France so I don't forsee me spending any more money with Tomtom. I find the phone screen to small for prolonged use and viewing in the car

*if I turn it off with the navigation voice disabled the first screen on startup is asking me to select a voice. Despite trying all combination of voices and settings I can not get rid of this annoyance.
Rasbelin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
I still believe that TomTom routing is superior to most of the competition, but that may not be enough for them to retain a loyal customer base.

I don't second your opinion, but neither do I object it. At least the fact that you could define a speed limit was good. Too bad I never had a device with IQ Routes, so I've got nothing to compare to my new Garmin and its traffic logic. It's of course possible that IQ Routes works fine, unlike HD Traffic. At least some have posted some pretty positive examples of how IQ Routes has affected their routing.

As for the vanilla TomTom routing logic without any live traffic data or traffic statistics, my experiences have been mainly positive, but at least Stockholm doesn't seem to be all too good with TomTom. I've ended up driving around the E4 a bit too much several times. Okay, traffic statistics or at least operating hours for the road toll zone would make it a lot smarter, so it wouldn't be plain vanilla anymore.

richard345 wrote:
The 520 does not have any Live Traffic capability, other than the additional antenna and that has proved to be less than useful in the past.

Indeed, which is why I also noted about it in my first message. I had the very same problem with the add-on RDS TMC antenna attached to the ONE XL. I never managed to pick up a signal. It didn't even find the FM stations using the automatic station tuning. What a waste of good money it was for me...

At least you confirm the my experience, which means I haven't been all alone with the botched dongle. Smile

Rick-uk wrote:
*if I turn it off with the navigation voice disabled the first screen on startup is asking me to select a voice. Despite trying all combination of voices and settings I can not get rid of this annoyance.

The very same quirk exists at least with ONE XL. I've solved it by first enabling the sounds so that there's no mute icon on the screen. Then I've uninstalled all voices with HOME. Does the trick, but then again I can't use voices for occasional amusement.
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also in the position of deciding what to do next. I have asked for advice in a previous post, and the conclusion was that just updating my old TT 730 was the way forward.

But, every time I am about to renew, I get annoyed because I just don't want to give money to a company that cares more about their short term share price than the expectations of their established customer base, whatever their marketing BS.

So, I really want to change to a non TT or Teleatlas product, just not sure what to get. As soon as someone points me in the right direction for a 'Live' device that can handle enough Via points and has decent EU routing, I will discard my old TT.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked this on the TomTom thread, but not got a response:

On the TomTom iPhone app, with the HD Traffic, is the range limited at all? I wonder if the solution is simply to switch to that?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clogienl I think you have to be pragmatic about this. The 730 does the job, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Furthermore, do you want to get the job done more than your principals about handing cash to TT? What's the price of continuing with the 730 compared to buying a new device? (And I'm suggesting you consider whether your principals have a monetary value). But I think sticking with the 730 will come out on top.

matthewj I'm sorry, but I don't have the TT iPhone App, so I can't answer your question unequivocally and I can't understand why nobody has given you a simple reply on the other thread - I can't make them, sorry. However, if the source is the same, if the iPhone App can beat the horizon problem, why can't they do the same for the PNDs? Personally I'd say it's odds on that the iPhone HD Traffic has the same (rubbish, reduced) horizon as one of the others, but which horizon I couldn't say, Nav2 or Nav3.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
However, if the source is the same, if the iPhone App can beat the horizon problem, why can't they do the same for the PNDs? Personally I'd say it's odds on that the iPhone HD Traffic has the same (rubbish, reduced) horizon as one of the others, but which horizon I couldn't say, Nav2 or Nav3.

I'd say it is highly likely that it is unlimited, because the only thing out of TomTom's control is the data capacity of their contract on the PNDs. I reckon they have a contract that specifies some sort of upper limit to their data use, and they keep hitting that ceiling in the UK. Other countries were negotiated later, or differently, or could be re-negotiated. No other explanation makes sense. And of course on the iPhone you pay for your own data, so there is no limit needed.
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
clogienl I think you have to be pragmatic about this. The 730 does the job, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Furthermore, do you want to get the job done more than your principals about handing cash to TT? What's the price of continuing with the 730 compared to buying a new device? (And I'm suggesting you consider whether your principals have a monetary value). But I think sticking with the 730 will come out on top.

Hi Dennis,

The difference in price between updating my 730 and buying a new non TT product is not very big at all. Putting it that way, it has actually become very clear. I will order a Garmin and see how I get on.

Thanks for shining a light :-)
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloggienl wrote:
...I will order a Garmin and see how I get on......
I've noticed that the Garmin 1490 has been recommended quite a few times. May be worth putting on your list of possibles.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't this thread be moved to a general section?

Why would people who have dropped or intend to drop TomTom still be reading this section? Laughing
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because they are thinking of returning to TT!

I know, it is sometimes all to easy to feel frustrated with this or that piece of technology, and switch brands - among my collection of GPS units I've got a Garmin 3790 and 2545 - neither of which compare with my Go Live 1000 or new Start 60 in terms of route quality (my number one priority feature in a satn av unit, funnily enough)

So while I can see why they consider other systems, after all the grass often looks greener... but in reality they are probably already in the best place!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Probably because they are thinking of returning to TT!

I know, it is sometimes all to easy to feel frustrated with this or that piece of technology, and switch brands - among my collection of GPS units I've got a Garmin 3790 and 2545 - neither of which compare with my Go Live 1000 or new Start 60 in terms of route quality (my number one priority feature in a satn av unit, funnily enough)

So while I can see why they consider other systems, after all the grass often looks greener... but in reality they are probably already in the best place!

Hi Xtraseller, as you have both TT and Garmin, could you give some examples where the Navteq maps equipped unit fails compared to the Teleatlas unit? As routing is pretty important to me, I was hoping that Garmin was at least as good as TT, as I find the TT routing sometimes lacking in finesse. It quite often keeps the routing towards motorways, even if taking some sections of A road are quite clearly quicker.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloggienl wrote:
I was hoping that Garmin was at least as good as TT, as I find the TT routing sometimes lacking in finesse. It quite often keeps the routing towards motorways, even if taking some sections of A road are quite clearly quicker.

Now this is down to personal driving preferences

You are right - TT and TomTom maps in general prefer the motorways and larger roads - and this is my preference too

My Garmins drives me nuts taking me insane routes somewhere through endless often dangerous lanes when I arrive somewhere only to find out I knew a much clearer way (if I had time, I could have forward planned - but that's why I have a sat nav)

My TomTom on the other almost always takes me a safe, easy drive route with little traffic issues too

Living in Wales and travelling throughout plus the west of England daily, there are often very minor roads to a location - but often this isn't the best nor in reality the quickest solution. My Garmin thinks it is, my TomTom routes me to more major roads, which works for me
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

My Garmins drives me nuts taking me insane routes somewhere through endless often dangerous lanes when I arrive somewhere only to find out I knew a much clearer way (if I had time, I could have forward planned - but that's why I have a sat nav)

My TomTom on the other almost always takes me a safe, easy drive route with little traffic issues too

Strange... I've no experience with Garmins, but plenty with TomTom's and although I'm generally happy with the routes they take, they definitely have a tendency to use tiny country lanes just to cut the corner off a route, where staying on the 'A' roads would definitely have been faster.

My wife just sighs, and we now jokingly call any ridiculous back-double or dirt track a "TomTom route"

Plus I still sometimes find some GLARING oddities (like on a regular route from west London to south London or to East London, it often wants to take me right through the centre of town (literally through Trafalgar Square!) on a Friday night at 6 o'clock.
Never a good idea...)

And it never did find my route to work which was 10 miles across London and was always far quicker than any of it's suggestions.

But one of the biggest issues I have with TT at the moment is when it offers a new route due to Traffic, it tells me that it is 2 minutes quicker, but gives me no clues that it may be 20 miles longer. I'm sure in the past I've seen a screen that gives exactly that info, but I don't seem to get it any more.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... it's your "no experience of Garmins" that make the difference

Yes, sometimes your TT may guide you on a route you wouldn't take, maybe occasionally it will take you on a lane, but my Garmins consistently make sure we take the country lanes and smallest roads!

In fact they are a joke in my office - we always wait on the stories if someone borrows one, on which route it takes them!

Probably agree over traffic, and - because we don't experience that much of it locally - tend not to divert around most jams, it's the IQ Routes that work for me in these instances over live traffic although they have been life savers on occasion
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
although I'm generally happy with the routes they take, they definitely have a tendency to use tiny country lanes just to cut the corner off a route, where staying on the 'A' roads would definitely have been faster.
Well, I wish it would take this one (of course, I always do) which saves more than a mile and irrespective of road class, it's quicker to use my lane than the main road. My own experience is that they rarely go for lane shortcuts - I run my 520 in 2D mode to see if I can spot a shortcut.

Quote:
But one of the biggest issues I have with TT at the moment is when it offers a new route due to Traffic, it tells me that it is 2 minutes quicker, but gives me no clues that it may be 20 miles longer. I'm sure in the past I've seen a screen that gives exactly that info, but I don't seem to get it any more.
I didn't think it offered re-route for as little as two minutes, but whatever - I always decline the re-route, then browse traffic on route to see what's up. But I also run other devices which don't offer the same re-route, so I always compare the outcome in both distance and time.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: