Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - consolidate or not !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

consolidate or not !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeiow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: consolidate or not ! Reply with quote

Hi there,
I bought a SatMap recently, along with several maps (at a fair expense!).

I am a bit concerned that the screen isn't that great, but otherwise I *think* I am happy (need to get out with it more than just round the estate!). A little concerned I may have dived in late on this technology, and that there will be a replacement round the corner - that would be reallyirritating !

They had promised to consolidate the maps, and although they sent me 7 *not* consolidated cards, they will do that if I wish - I just need to send them back.

Do others here use that service ?

I can see that if I didn't, I could potentially sell unwanted ones in the future, but if I have a single card consolidated then I am 'stuck' with them. I know that is a side issue.

Any thoughts ?
Anyone know if you can consolidate them yourself ?

One thing is that I had expected the area 1:25K ones (eg Derbyshire) would have included the 1:50K so when you zoomed in & out you move from layer to layer, but clearly that won't happen (unless I consolidate the maps!)

thanks, appreciate the views !
Mike
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

I have used the service and pleased that I now have just one card.

You have to weigh up the pros and cons, I don't know what you paid for the 7 but that sounds a very expensive way of buying the cards, wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy an area. I guess it depends on what scale you want. I tend to only use 1:50k where ever I go.

If I had 7 cards I would definately consolidate them as swapping cards all the time will become frustrating but will cost you another £15.

Or, I'd look at buying a whole region / South GB off Ebay then sellin the 7.

If you want to be able to zoom between 1:25k to 1:50K Derby maps you will need to own both versions of the map and then satmap can make it toggleable. It won't auto zoom but the top right hand button switches between the maps.

I have never heard of being able to consolidate yourself
My Blog Geocache Trails
mikeiow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this!
They are different areas I tend to use - Leicestershire, Derbyshire, IOW as well as a few oddities (eg US National Parks - on offer at half price & we will be visiting briefly later this summer!)
....and as I got them at point of purchasing the entire unit, they offered some reasonable discounts on them all.....

Plus they told me they would consolidate them but forgot to do it.....so they have told me if I post them back they will consolidate them all....

I think that would mean my desire to zoom in & out from 1:25K to 1:50K etc would be seamless.....but the downside is I would have no way to decide to sell the cards (eg, the US national parks after our trip!).

I think I will post them back to have it done: makes sense !

On a separate topic: when you have a route on it, is there a way to "hide" the route briefly to be able to see the map detail behind it ?

cheers
Mike
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't consolidate the US ones on the same card as the UK ones then just use these then sell them.

You say all the cards are off different area, if you want to zoom between 1:25k and 1:50k in the same area, then you have to own 1:25k and 1:50k maps of the same area.

Regarding routes, no there is now way that i know of the temporarily hide routes, there is a quick way to turn one off but then you would have to go back into the routes menu to turn them back on.

A tip is to draw your routes to one side of the footpath when you plan it so that you don't cover up where you are walking. This is how I do it all the time and then I can see the footpath that I am taking.
My Blog Geocache Trails
mikeiow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx, good advice :-)
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Maps Reply with quote

I've both consolidated and deconsolidated over the past 2/3 years if that makes sense....at £15 a time it can make sense. However I have built up a library of way over 30 other maps which would not, for me, make sense to consolidate...not only that , but my current card has 10 maps consolidated by Satmap at present, and I do need a bit of spare room left over for all my walks.
Regarding the US maps...please don't consolidate...I'll buy them off you ! I have 8 weeks walking in various areas of the States (and Canada) coming up, but sadly, the one Topo map I really want hasn't been released by National Geographic to Satmap which is a bit annoying.
Overall, a great service offered by Satmap.
One last thought, I have wondered in the past....'what if?'....I lose the card or A10....I guess some sort of insurance claim would be the order of the day ! Perhaps I should call the Insurance company...'I have a £400 device with around £1000 maps on board.' (Anybody in the Insurance business reading this forum for advice ?)
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got South GB 1:50K and a 100km x 70km custom 1:25K maps consolidated. Really pleased with that as I don't have to think about it. Most of my walking is in Cheshire, North Shropshire, North Staffordshire and Derbyshire and the custom 1:25K covers that, much cheaper than the 4 county maps. Easy to zoom out for an overview. Well worth it. If I had maps, e.g. National Parks, that I didn't use much I might well be tempted to keep those separate, or perhaps just have the 1:25 & 1:50Ks for that area on one card.
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Maps Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:

One last thought, I have wondered in the past....'what if?'....I lose the card or A10....I guess some sort of insurance claim would be the order of the day ! Perhaps I should call the Insurance company...'I have a £400 device with around £1000 maps on board.' (Anybody in the Insurance business reading this forum for advice ?)

As I understand it, if you back up your cards to a PC, if you lose the card then Satmap will send you a new card with your license on it. You can then copy your maps back to it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: