Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help Please - Picking a Tomtom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Please - Picking a Tomtom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dagsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Help Please - Picking a Tomtom Reply with quote

hey all, its been ages since i was last on here! I need some advice on buying a new tomtom, i've checked up on the net for a new tomtom and its a bleeding nightmare to pick one now with all the models available!! Back then you had about 4 models and that was it!

Ok, so basically i have 2 budgets available to me, i can either spend under £100 or i can spend upto £200 BUT i don't want to spend more than necessary.

What i will be used for:

I am a delivery driver for boots pharmacy delivering meds, i've moved to a new area of which i don't know ANY of the roads! I will be relying 100% on tom to get me around.

I need to be able to use full postcodes as well as street names.

I would like the traffic thingy BUT it is not essential as i've never used it before and previous times i looked in to it, it was still very buggy and not reliable, so i don't know if things have changed. Again, it would be nice, but not willing to pay over the odds for it.

I need to be able to input multiple addresses at one go so my whole route is planned before i set off.

Bluetooth not essential as i have an iphone so loudspeaker will do me fine.

I most defo need speed cameras! I will more than likely need be using the database of speed cams from here.

I would at some stage like to be able to add poi databases such as tesco, asda etc etc, but i guess with the iphone apps, i can just get a postcode from there when i use locate nearest to me.

I think that is about it. I don't know much about the map share or map correction thingy as i've never made use of them BUT i hate it when tom doesn't update with new roads!!

I've looked at the XXL IQ, the XL IQ and the GO825 but i just can't figure which is best for my needs.

EU travel is highly unlikely, but for an extra £10, i'm willing to fork it out....
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help Please - Picking a Tomtom Reply with quote

dagsky wrote:
EU travel is highly unlikely, but for an extra £10, i'm willing to fork it out....

One thing to bear in mind is the cost of keeping your maps up to date, it's much cheaper to update the UK & ROI maps compared to their EU counterparts.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, the big factor in your choice is that you need to "be able to input multiple addresses at one go so my whole route is planned" - that means you need a model that does "Itinerary Planning"

And the amazing thing is... NONE of the newer TomTom models can do it! It's one of TomTom's major cock-ups.

That knocks out any of the flashy new"NAV3" models such as the GO1000/1005 and the GO825

Luckily the XL and XXL both DO have it. The only difference between them is the size of the screen.
There were also LIVE versions of the XL and XXL (with the HD Traffic info etc.)

Unfortunately, I think you will be searching for old stock as the only model left on TomTom's website is the "XXL Classic" and that's not a LIVE model.

Avoid any XL or XXL with a tiny "2" after the name - those have the simplified "EasyMenu" which leaves off loads of features (including Itinerary planning).

The GO 550750/950 models were great too, if you can still find one.
To my mind, they also had a better mount than the XL/XXL. I find the XL's fiddly as the mount is permanently attached to the back of the unit so you have to remove the whole thing every time you leave the car. With the Go models you can just click the unit out of the mount for short stops.

Easy isn't it! Evil or Very Mad

Hope those notes help a bit....
dagsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap! looks like this is not going to be an easy walk in the park!

Is this the XL that i want to avoid http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_780765_langId_-1_categoryId_165685 TomTom XL2 IQ Sat Nav - UK & ROI

Any of these do the job?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_839819_langId_-1_categoryId_165685#tab1

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_839817_langId_-1_categoryId_165685#tab1
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XXL has the 5" screen
The XL has the 4.3" screen [not as described]

Otherwise identical

No sd slot on either.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Outlet Store is still selling refurbished GO550 Live (£119.99) and GO750 Live (139.99), complete with one year free Live Services. I'd say they are a bargain (although you need to factor in the cost of an update to the maps).

But be aware that the Itinerary function available on them is not perfect for multi drop - it cannot optimise the route to send you the best way round and it may sometimes direct you to the next point before you've reached this one. You have to input each Waypoint using your own judgement as to the best route.

Whilst I'm a very committed TomTom user, I have to say that if you're delivering in just one locality, you might find a big (A4 - £10, are they still that cheap?) A-Z more useful! Once when I did a multi drop assist, the driver of the existing route showed me all the little tips he had learned - e.g. Deliver to C, and whilst parked there, deliver to G before going to D. And you can see this in most towns - the local multi drop drivers know all the useful little corners to park and avoid traffic warden problems. When I did a bit of multi drop subbing, I used to spend half an hour in the depot writing all the page/square numbers on a scrap of paper then working out the shortest route (and of course the loading sequence), but it never worked as well as the local knowledge guys.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dagsky wrote:

Is this the XL that i want to avoid http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_780765_langId_-1_categoryId_165685 TomTom XL2 IQ Sat Nav - UK & ROI

Yes!

I would go for one of those Outlet store Go's if I were you, they sound a great deal.

I have been given a "refurbished" unit in the past as a warranty replacement and it was indistinguishable from a new one even down to the protective film over the screen (which looked new to me).
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
But be aware that the Itinerary function available on them is not perfect for multi drop - it cannot optimise the route to send you the best way round
I can't understand why TT don't see the need for this feature. iGO have had itinery planning (they dont call it that though) for pretty much unlimited drops and subsequent route optimisation for years.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, what hope have we got of convincing them of that, if we can't convince them there's a need for any form of itinerary planning at all any more! Crying or Very sad
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TomTom Outlet Store is still selling refurbished GO550 Live (£119.99) and GO750 Live (139.99), complete with one year free Live Services. I'd say they are a bargain (although you need to factor in the cost of an update to the maps).

Maybe wrong, but I think only the 550 not the 750 has one year free Live.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I wonder why they are selling the 750 Live at £139.99 with one year free LIVE Services Europe
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said I maybe wrong. . . I was looking at another site.
clay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasnt the 550 & 750 been out of stock for the last few months ? Only option for sale ive seen is this from tesco.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280865630568
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per DennisN's post above, both are currently available from TomTom here-

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/tomtom-outlet-store/

Edited by Ali
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they aren't. There's no 'Buy Now' button ;=(

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: