Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 'Total Ascents.'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

'Total Ascents.'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: 'Total Ascents.' Reply with quote

I could do with some help please. Everytime I'm out walking I always set the Trip Log back to Reset All before the start. And every time I finish a walk I always Reset and Convert. The problem is that I have 'Total Ascents' set on one of the four info screens and it always displays rubbish. Today I have been out on the South Downs all day and it shows a total of 3343ft which is obviously totally wrong.....all my companions' devices, Garmin and Memory Map all showed around 1500ft which is more like it. What is wrong ? ps I have the Altitude Data set from the GPS.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FrequentFlyer.

I suspect the reason is that the A10 reports "rubbish" for total ascents! This has been mentioned many times before. It now seems to be less ludicrous than it used to be but I gave up on it long ago.

I believe that the reason is something along the lines that the A10 notes the height of each point it records and notes if it is above or below the previous one. If above it adds that to the ascent total. However each point it records depends on whether you are on a rising step or falling step and how accurate the fix is. This is particularly variable if you are getting the height from the GPS which is known to be poor on height data. I assume that they have introduced some damping to the original readings which were even more impressive than they seem to be today, but I still do not use them. I might note the maximum height and the minimum but that is all I bother with.

I leave it to others to provide a more accurate analysis but I would suggest that "total ascent" is a measure that it is not worth tracking on the A10 (despite its other great strengths) at least until they introduce a major upgrade.
Satsync 1.525

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: