Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Q4 Map update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Q4 Map update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plodsie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Q4 Map update Reply with quote

Is available now, although not really advertising it on Navigon's website yet.

But can download via Fresh software
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Q4 Map update Reply with quote

plodsie wrote:
Is available now, although not really advertising it on Navigon's website yet.

But can download via Fresh software

I guessed they were going to leave it until the end of the month.

I wonder if I'll have any trouble getting the last update for the 4350 I bought on 20 Dec 2009?!
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Q4 Map update Reply with quote

C1man wrote:
I wonder if I'll have any trouble getting the last update for the 4350 I bought on 20 Dec 2009?!

As expected I can't get the 2011 Q4 maps for the 4350, but now I can't access ANY of the 2011 maps in Fresh since my sub ended on 20 Dec! Another Navigon cock-up.

Have posted the following on Facebook:

‎2011 Q4 Maps. I bought my Navigon on 20 December 2009 and was expecting to be able to get this final map. But in true Navigon fashion you have moved the goalposts and instead of releasing the maps at the end of the penultimate month of the quarter as you have done for the last 2 years (in this case the end of Nov 2011) you have changed to the last day of the quarter. Come on scrooge Navigon what about all those people - like me - who had a Sat Nav for Christmas and will be cheated out of their final update?!
plodsie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Navigon uses Navteq for their maps then I find it surprising that they have yet again not updated it with the new M77 onto M74 extension through Glasgow. This road was opened in July so it's not as though they haven't had a chance for October's update and this one.
Question
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plodsie wrote:
This road was opened in July so it's not as though they haven't had a chance for October's update and this one.
Question

As you know I haven't been able to download the Q4 maps but the Q3 release at the end of August had maps with file dates in May and the data itself was probably weeks older so I am not surprised. Sad
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the Q3 release at the end of August had maps with file dates in May and the data itself was probably weeks older so I am not surprised
This ties in roughly with what I have been told. Navteq map releases take about 3 months to get through to Navigon release - and as you say, Navteq themselves will take some time after a survey to release their maps in the first place. Probably a total wait period of about 5/6 months, assuming the surveys themselves are kept reasonably up-to-date of course.

Even if they have included the road in an earlier survey as 'under construction', as I believe happens with TomTom, marking the road as 'open' so it becomes usable would still take that time to make it to your windscreen.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Q4 Map update Reply with quote

C1man wrote:
As expected I can't get the 2011 Q4 maps for the 4350

Navigon have relented and given me the 2011 Q4 maps.
Since I still can't access the rest of the 2011 maps I suspect it was easier for them to do that than try and sort out Fresh/my account settings.
I was relying on that being the case, and the fact that they know I am not likely to go quietly may also have had something to do with it.

I have noticed that my LPG POIs now have two versions - one for Q3 maps and one for Q4 so it looks like some of the map formats may have changed.

Don't yet know what the map dates are (as still downloading) but will post here when I find out.
LATER: 2011 Q4 maps are all dated 30/8/2011 ie 4 months old!
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Q4 Map update Reply with quote

I came across this when looking at the Navigon FAQS on my android mobile:
(http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/kundenservice/faq.html)

When are new maps available? Answer:
New Maps are available for the third and fourth quarter of 2011 for FreshMaps and Latest Map Guarantee.
Q3-2011:
• EU, Turkey, Australia / New Zealand: available since 31/08/2011

• US: available since 04/10/2011
Q4-2011:
• EU, Turkey, Australia/New Zealand, South African
countries (SAC): expected on 21/12/2011

• US: expected on 12/01/2012
This entry was last updated on: Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:09 PM

So in mid-December they were not planning (or weren’t prepared to say they were planning) to leave release of the Q4 maps until Friday 30 December. By the way I am still waiting for the Navigon Android map update to occur.

So I then went back over my plain file backups of earlier PNA map releases to see what the release dates and file dates were:

Q4 2011: 30/12/2011 Files dated: 30/08/2011
Q3 2011: 31/08/2011 Files dated: 29/05/2011
Q2 2011: 21/06/2011 Files dated: 27/05/2011
Q1 2011: 08/02/2011 Files dated: 08/11/2010 Is this a mistake?!

Q4 2010: 20/11/2010 Files dated: 08/11/2010
Q3 2010: 20/08/2010 Files dated: 02/07/2010

Can anyone confirm the above?

Have Navigon done a deal with Navteq to delay maps for x months for a reduced fee?!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: