Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Importing Multiple Files with My TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing Multiple Files with My TomTom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Importing Multiple Files with My TomTom? Reply with quote

I've tried to follow the very helpful instructions for importing cameras onto my new TomTom Go Live 825 UK & Europe using the MyTomTom software, but it's not working properly.

I can't get it to select multiple files by shift-clicking. I'm using Windows 7. I noticed a suggestion to use Firefox or Chrome as IE9 has some reported problems but both the other browsers have exactly the same problem. If this was a one-off I wouldn't mind importing the files one by one but I'd have to do this on each occasion I update my cameras so it'll drive my crazy.

The other problem I'm encountering if I try to import even one file (such as a camera bitmap) is a message "The file does not fit on your device. You can make space by removing other files from your device."

Seeing as I haven't changed anything on the TomTom yet and it's showing as being up to date out of the box this is very worrying.

Has any one else had this problem while importing and managed to resolve it?

Edit: OK, even weirder - I've just connected via an old Win XP machine and it's reporting 26 updates available for the TomTom, including a map update of 3GB! It'll take 3 hours to download apparently, so I'll update this post when it's all done. Maybe it's my Win 7 installation at fault.

Last edited by colin_thames on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Importing Multiple Files with My TomTom? Reply with quote

colin_thames wrote:
Seeing as I haven't changed anything on the TomTom yet and it's showing as being up to date out of the box this is very worrying.
Have you made a backup of it yet? If not, do so before anything else. Things have been known to go wrong. Sorry can't help with your problem though Sad
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Backup? Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. How do a backup on an 825 using the MyTomTom sofware/site? As I can't mount it as a USB drive it's not clear to me how to do that. (By the way, please note my edit of my first post. I've managed to connect through XP and it's showing many updates available)

Cheers

Colin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin, You can't make a back up of the device as no such capability exists within the MyTomTom interface.
Can you import multiple POI files using the Win XP based PC? - Mike
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should get a TT so that I know what I am talking about. NOT Very Happy
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Using MyTomTom Reply with quote

Thank you both for your replies.

M8TJT - what do you use for Sat Nav then? The TT instructions said that MyTomTom would ask if I wanted to do a backup but I never got this option offered and I can't see it anywhere. Don't worry I won't expect you to get a TT to find out! ;-)

Mike, to answer your question the XP installation, with IE8, didn't allow multiple selections of POIs. I tried it with Firefox and that didn't allow it either.

But here's the extra weirdness, after updating the maps and OS on the TomTom 825, not only did MyTomTom start allowing mulitple selections on the XP machine, but it also allowed it on the Win 7 laptop, provided I had Firefox selected as the default application.

So I'm now a happy bunny, though slightly puzzled about why I had the problem and why it went away. Now going to spend a happy hour setting up my camera warnings.

I must admit I can't see any advantages of MyTomTom over TomTom Home, there are a number of features that TomTom Home had that don't exist in the new software. The only good thing I've found is that moving my old favorites from my 730 to the 825 was incredibly easy, so I didn't have to mess around with converting them into POIs this time.

Ah well, 1 step forward, 2 backwards.

Happy new year to all.

Colin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Using MyTomTom Reply with quote

colin_thames wrote:

But here's the extra weirdness, after updating the maps and OS on the TomTom 825

I think you've answered your own question... you needed the latest versions of BOTH MyTomTom and the 825's software

colin_thames wrote:
I must admit I can't see any advantages of MyTomTom over TomTom Home

There aren't any... so far as the end user is concerned.

The only reason MyTT exists is that TomTom didn't want the user to be able to access the internal workings of their device any more.
Once they had stopped the hardware appearing as a browsable disk drive they HAD to come up with a new way to interface with it.

I think even TomTom would admit that MyTT has been rather more of a headache than they were expecting.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'feature' allowing multiple file selection came with an update to 'MyTomTom' so it's likely that it was updated at the same time as the software and maps on the device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: