Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 68 Percent Rise In Speed Awareness Courses In Wales
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

68 Percent Rise In Speed Awareness Courses In Wales

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: 68 Percent Rise In Speed Awareness Courses In Wales Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Rather than incurring penalty points on their licences, an increasing number of drivers caught speeding in Wales are now attending speed awareness courses.

Wales Online reports a substantial 68 percent increase last year in offenders opting for a course despite a fall in numbers of those actually breaking speed limits.

The £85 course fee, paid by nearly 47,000 people in Wales last year, is retained at local level by the Wales Road Casualty Reduction Partnership (Gosafe.org), allowing millions to be pumped back into road safety in Wales with some of the revenue being used to help maintain speed cameras.

Money raised through the accompanying speeding fines bypasses Wales and goes directly to central government.
email icon

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how they pitch this? In any speed limit area there are places where you can only proceed safely at a lower speed than the limit, equally there are some places where you can safely go at a speed faster than the limit. There are some 40mph lanes in Dorset, where 25 mph is more than enough [other places as well, I'm sure]. A truly alert driver does not need a set limit. I'm afraid that it is not me though.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
TieJustice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: 47,000 less drivers on the road in wales or may be NOT. Reply with quote

HOW TYPICAL, the government lining there pockets as per norm

there should be 0 tolerance for speeding. I use the road every day in wales and there is what some call just above the limit say 5 MPH in a 30 and there's STUPID IDIOTS that go 60 in a 30 I don't give a HOOT about them doing that speed BUT i feel VERY sorry for the person's that there going to KILL or INJURE as they have no regard for there life or anyone.

When the government invest in some plane cars with fitted speed cameras like in the US maybe then will some one not have to die becos the governments want for more cash.

banning them is a wast of time as there just going to get any car no tax insurance they don't care. car/van/bike should be crushed or if of any value should go to auction and the proses given to victims and JUST FINE THE HELL OUT OF THEM.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TieJustice wrote:

there should be 0 tolerance for speeding.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Same old arguments....
Speeding per se doesn't kill, excessive speed for a given situation can.
Get rid of some of the ridiculous recent speed reductions on major roads (often done for purely political reasons), put the NSL upto 80mph and THEN I might agree with you
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 47,000 less drivers on the road in wales or may be NOT. Reply with quote

TieJustice wrote:
there should be 0 tolerance for speeding. I use the road every day in wales and there is what some call just above the limit say 5 MPH in a 30 and there's STUPID IDIOTS that go 60 in a 30 I don't give a HOOT about them doing that speed

There is a threshold for the speed awareness courses. not sure exactly but something like anything over 35 in a 30 means you cannot opt for the course and must pay the fine and get points.

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 47,000 less drivers on the road in wales or may be NOT. Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
TieJustice wrote:
there should be 0 tolerance for speeding. I use the road every day in wales and there is what some call just above the limit say 5 MPH in a 30 and there's STUPID IDIOTS that go 60 in a 30 I don't give a HOOT about them doing that speed

There is a threshold for the speed awareness courses. not sure exactly but something like anything over 35 in a 30 means you cannot opt for the course and must pay the fine and get points.

MaFt

No MaFt, over 35 in a 30 limit is "normal" speeding and you get a ticket or speed awareness course for it (I think you'll not hear of anybody nicked for 35 - that's the 10% plus 2 tolerance guideline) - one of my relatives recently (and previously several times!!) was done for 36 in a 30 zone. BUT over something (40/45?) in a 30 limit is deffo ticket and points. And you don't get a second go at speed awareness courses - after one course you're into points and fines without option - my relative had one the previous time.
Quote:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Same old arguments....
Speeding per se doesn't kill

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Same old arguments....

Tell that to the mother of a child killed by some maniac doing 36 in a 30 zone (when his/her speedo is actually reading 40)! I don't care a hoot about those daft enough to speed on the open roads - let them kill themselves if they can't handle it. But those who exceed the limit in a built up area should suffer all that TieJustice suggests.

And whilst we're at it, drop the urban speed limit from 30 to 20 - blanket, all over, no exceptions.

Sledge hammers per se will kill you if they are applied to your head, not just if they are applied to your head in a given situation!

PS My apologies to all the MapShare downloaders - I altered the M4 at Newport back up to 70mph yesterday and kindly allowed it to share for you all. So now the entire M4 shows 71mph on my Carminat. Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 47,000 less drivers on the road in wales or may be NOT. Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Quote:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Same old arguments....
Speeding per se doesn't kill

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Same old arguments....

Tell that to the mother of a child killed by some maniac doing 36 in a 30 zone ...

Woah! Hang on....
The rest of my quote said "excessive speed for a given situation can. "

I'm in complete agreement that a lot of residential roads should be reduced to 20mph (as has already happened in my London borough), so I think we're on the same side here....
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 47,000 less drivers on the road in wales or may be NOT. Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Under 35 in a 30 and you're effectively not speeding according to the 10% + 2mph 'rule'. I have seen the figures somewhere, but can't lay my hands on them just now. Yes I have, try here about half way down the page. But of course, the actual speed will depend on the local constabulary. Remember the cash from the courses goes locally and the cash from fines goes centrally. So I wonder how high the 'local' limits will be to generate as much cash as possible Rolling Eyes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but interesting.

Islington council in London are declaring the entire borough a 20mph zone.
Think they have a tussle with TFL (Transport for London) in the offing about whether they can do it or not.
Apparently they are not going to police it, just like they don't police the 30mph, they are not going to build speed humps, and I don't believe they are going to install cameras.

The council say that the average speed through the borough at present is around 15 mph, but some drivers speed at over 40mph.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: