Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem installing 2012.30 Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem installing 2012.30 Maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the map size problem on my 660 for several years now. The solution that works for me is to install the maps to the PC ONLY and then to install from the PC to the 660 a subset of the map which omits the corners of Europe to which I am unlikely to drive - in other words the outer reaches of eastern Europe. Since the 660 does not support Lane Assist and signpost views I will be interested to see whether this latest map will need to be more heavily restricted to install the files that I can't use or whether the installation will omit those files and thu slet me install more of what i can use. Question
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a response from Garmin Support. Unfortunately it was a standard response which totally ignored my detailed question and attached a tutorial to walk me through a standard (not a Lifetime Maps Updater) install.
I rang Garmin support and the guy there told me that there are some PC's on which the Lifetime Updater will not work. Since my own machine is a Core i7 he received a somewhat incredulous response from me and I re-emphasised that the map update files had downloaded without apparent problem to my PC but that the MDR file was missing after the decompression (I assume that the download is in compressed form).
After some heavy prompting I did get the admission that the Lifetime Maps Updater DOES HAVE BUGS which they are checking out at present and advice that I should use the old manual updating method.
For some reason he seemed insistent that I should install a small region onto the device and then extra mapping onto the SD card. I am afraid that I totally disagree with that approach, far preferring to have all the maps that I want on the device and to use the SD card for POI's, music and so on. If I then do want the outlying area maps then they will be a small file for the SD card.
If filling the memory of the device with maps causes it to slow down I have never noticed it.

So it looks like another 2.5Gb download is required. Rolling Eyes
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could of course simply download Western Europe, if that meets your needs?

There have been bugs in Lifetime Updater since its release, acknowledged by Garmin, so it's even more surprising that the guy you spoke to was reluctant to mention it.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
You could of course simply download Western Europe, if that meets your needs?

What is the point of that? The actual download from Garmin, which is what takes the majority of the time, is the full City Navigator Europe NT file anyway. Once on the PC it is quite simple to select what you want and then install that to the device. It's the big data download that takes the time and AFAIK that is the same download whether you install the whole of Europe or just SE England. Obviously the installation time is much more with greater coverage because of the internal links that the device must make between map segments.

I agree that the guy at Garmin should have admitted the bugs rather than just blustering and implying that I don't know what I am doing! I can only assume that he was a newbie!

Hey ho!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point is just that it fits easily onto your nuvi, but it does depend if Western Europe meets your needs ... it does mine Very Happy
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case it was clearly not an issue with the download of either method, manual or by lifetime updater. And it does not depend on either variant for the device update itself, as the same generic error messages occurs with both methods.

BTW: If you look on where these two program put their files during download and what program components they use, I'll notice that they don't differ much. (For the technical minded, to get a picture, look at the running programs of both methods with Process Explorer by SysInternals.)
This is emphasised as you only have to download the maps once and then the other method uses them. In my case, I've used the manual method first and checked the option to leave the files in case you like to update another unit or so. These files are located in the temporary directory (cd %Temp%). There you'll find in IMG directory and some files like the gmap* etc.
The process to put them onto the unit is identical as well, it only differs in the visual implementation. With the manual method, you've got a chance to select the coverage you like to install, like all of Europe or only some part of. I did not see that option during the progress of the life time updater.

I think it's simply sloppy programming to not correctly check how much space the device offers and how much is required for the chosen option.
Another option that is missing is a program to manage the components on the device. I'd like to be easily able to remove certain languages including voices, texts etc. And if I choose to, add them back later, if space permits.

Hope Garmin does something in that area, as it would be pretty easy.

Anyway, my problem was solved after removing unused voices to free up space. At the moment I've got around 185MB of free space on my 765T. Let's see what the next update required! This time I know how to check manually!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: