Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS -- Road Angel to Dell Axim X5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS -- Road Angel to Dell Axim X5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazysteve2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: GPS -- Road Angel to Dell Axim X5 Reply with quote

Hello,

Hoping some one can help, I have a Road Angel and want to use the GPS system of the Road Angel and send it to my Dell Axim X5, but i can find a cable to do the job, if any can help find one that will work i will be so happy. Have found a few online but none of them say they are for the Axim... Crying or Very sad

Thanks for you time

Steve 8)
bennyk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Try www.holux-uk.com/products/cables/roadangel.htm

Ben
bennyk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry steve

http://www.holux-uk.com/Products/cables/roadangel.htm
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might do it
http://www.thesupplynet.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=6957
BIGTONE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,try
www.blackspot.com
They make the road angel and I believe they have the leads.
I have just bought the New road angel and will be looking for a lead to connect to my Dell Axim X5. I mailed tech support and this was thier answer........

As soon as we are aware that an installation is in place the data is verified as soon as logistically possible.

Road Angel is NMEA compatible and uses Version 2.0 / 0183. This means that it can be used with some Route Mapping software for Satellite Navigation on a laptop PC or handheld PDA. There is a Serial adapter port on the rear of the Road Angel which allows you to output the data string to a laptop or PDA via a serial connection, the cable can be ordered by calling the number below, it costs £9.95 inc VAT and delivery.

The data can be outputted at either 4800, 9600 or 19200 bps (bits per second) Using a laptop you can connect the Road Angel via a direct serial connection, if you are using a PDA a specific cable will be required, contact www.holux-uk.com for details. We have successfully outputted the GPS data to the following mapping programs on a laptop: Route 66™, Microsoft AutoRoute 2003™ and InfoMap Professional 7.0™ from Directions Ltd. Microsoft AutoRoute 2003™ only receives GPS data every five seconds, which is not good for navigation. To increase this to one second updates you will need to download a patch from http://gpssoft.homestead.com

Please note that we can only provide support for the Road Angel. Any difficulties you encounter with connecting devices will have to be referred to the software vendor.

I hope that this answers your queries.

Regards

Technical Support

Blackspot Interactive Ltd
5 New Rookery Farm
Little London
Silverstone
Northants
NN12 8UP

Tel: 01327 855586
Fax: 01327 855587
www.blackspot.com
MO
BIGTONE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add an update. You cannot at this stage (unless somebody is clever enough to manufactures one) connect a Dell Axim X5 direct to the New road angel. It uses different voltages and language to communicate.So thats that!
Tone
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbish.

The New Road Angel outputs standard NMEA on RS232 levels. You could use this cable from: http://www.pc-mobile.net/pdaserial.htm
GPS interface cable - for Dell Axim X5
For Garmin/Magellan GPS (not for Delorme/RandMcNally GPS) (connect to PC serial cable of your GPS ). Most other serial GPS may also work.
For use with mapping/navigation software (NMEA input), cannot be used for download/upload data to/from GPS. see note
Length: 20cm Axim X5 has separate power input so a combo interface is not necessary.

You would need to purchase a Road Angel PS2 - 9pin adaptor to get the two items to mate, but thats all you do require.
D1NGB0T5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,
Can I add something.....

The reason you can't connect a Road Angel directly to a Dell - any of them - is that they use different voltage levels for their communications. The road angel outputs RS232 levels and the Dell requires TTL levels!

Too technical? If you plug the Dell directly in to the road angel you will smoke the Dell!

Get yourself a GPS ready car mount such as the Seidio G2500 or the TomTom mount. Then contact Holux UK for one of their Road Angel to PDA mount cables.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: