Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - post code wanting house no
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

post code wanting house no
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chip6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: post code wanting house no Reply with quote

Hi had this problem since software upgrade and for me it is a big problem.
i put in postcode and am then asked to enter house no which i never have as is usually a site, the unit will chose one for you which you would assume would be close to postcode but very rarly is and on a long road can be miles away, any advice appriciated Ian
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be interested to read the discussion in this two-year-old thread.

At that time TomTom didn't accept that there was a problem, but maybe things have improved with the newer devices.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that a PostCode can cover a street, a block or much larger area I don't see what else can be done?

Your only alternative would be to locate the correct address via the map, assuming you know it. If you don't, then how can your SatNav know where, in the coverage area of that PostCode, you want to go?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the post code / house number combination gives very accurate results & is sldom more that a house out, it's certainly easier than kerb crawling whilst trying to scan poperties looking for non existant numbers
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
I find the post code / house number combination gives very accurate results & is sldom more that a house out, it's certainly easier than kerb crawling whilst trying to scan poperties looking for non existant numbers
But the OP does not have a house number Sad
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: post code wanting house no Reply with quote

chip6 wrote:
...postcode... which i never have as is usually a site,...... any advice appriciated Ian

Give the site a telephone call and see if they can give you any directions/landmarks/junctions etc. See if any of these are in the TomTom, if not try Google Maps or Street View if available and set the location using your TomTom's map view. Once at the site, store the location as a POI in a custom folder for use next time.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
chip6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: navigate to post code Reply with quote

Yes if i go on such as google maps the post code is near enough for me but not always able to.
The old software was spot on with the post code usually , am shortly in the market for a new truck program unit so was hoping it had been sorted by now , just have to wait and see.
one really bad example was a site on coventry rd at the side of M42 and the sat nav wanted to take me to centre of brum, l smelled a rat on that one and phoned ahead but have frequently been wrong end of street .
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: House number unknown Reply with quote

I tend to do one of 2 things:

1. Try to find house number / alternate point of reference from Google or Google Maps (and if necessary set TomTom to navigate to "point on map" rather than postcode)

2. If no joy from point 1 or no time, enter 999 as the house number. This usually generates an error e.g. "numbers must be between 5 - 279" and then just pick a mid-point number to get me close.

John.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: House number unknown Reply with quote

johnnym100 wrote:
2. If no joy from point 1 or no time, enter 999 as the house number. This usually generates an error e.g. "numbers must be between 5 - 279" and then just pick a mid-point number to get me close.

i like that idea, will have to remember it Smile although it wouldn't wok on Thornton Road in Bradford - it's about 8 miles long and I think the house numbers go up to about 1800!!

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But does the error message give the house numbers in the postcode or on the whole road. Surely Thornton Road has nore than 1 postcode Question
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: House number unknown Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
.. I think the house numbers go up to about 1800!!
Enter 0 (zero) as the house number, this produces the same error allowing you to pick the mid point. I don't know of any properties numbered 0.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
But does the error message give the house numbers in the postcode or on the whole road.

Unfortunately it's the whole road, which can put you miles away from the required location. I couldn't make TomTom understand the difference.
Samsung Galaxy S21
JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently in St Andrews, I entered a post code and the house number; it took me to a random address about half a mile from the right one. When I entered the street name and house number, it took me to the front door of the correct house. It was not the first time the post code has let me down.
Map: Europe v925.5413
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: House number unknown Reply with quote

johnnym100 wrote:
enter 999 as the house number. This usually generates an error e.g. "numbers must be between 5 - 279" and then just pick a mid-point number to get me close.

pcaouolte wrote:
Enter 0 (zero) as the house number, this produces the same error allowing you to pick the mid point. I don't know of any properties numbered 0.

I don't think you need to do EITHER of these.

When it asks for a house number after you've entered the postcode, just tap "Done" without entering ANY numbers.

That always seems to take me to the middle of the postcode area.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way... for anyone offering their experiences with ERRORS in postcodes, it's all a bit pointless unless you can state which postcode file version you're using. This is NOT necessarily the same as the map version.

To find your postcodes version number (on a model which uses Home for updates*), find the folder on the TomTom called "zip" using Windows Explorer or Mac Finder.
There will be a file in that folder called "Great_BritainPostal.ver".
Open that with any text editor (Notepad will do fine on a PC) and there will be some text such as:

Code:
[description] GreatbritainPostal_TeleAtlas 865[/quote]

....which in this case means v865 postcodes, which would have come as standard on a new device with v865 maps.

But if you have updated a map, it does not update the postcode files. You have to do it manually, so your postcodes file COULD be several versions old.

(*at present there is no way to do this on a model which uses MyTomTom).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: