Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Low Bridges
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Bridges
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as has been said weightsl limits change on a daily basis almost though i am trying to get some contact between the ha through a truck drivers group im a member of ive had to let take a bak seat for a few months but wil pick it up again over the next few weeks

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Driverjohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem.

I recently bought a POI from lowbridges.com called Bridgex that has over 1500 bridges and it works very well in my Navigator setup. The map icons show the bridge height so its easy to sort out a safe route.

Hope this helps you out.

John
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driverjohn wrote:
I recently bought a POI from lowbridges.com called Bridgex that has over 1500 bridges and it works very well in my Navigator setup. The map icons show the bridge height so its easy to sort out a safe route. John

How does the different heights work, do you get a separate poi file for each height then, surly the bridge heights can be from 9 feet upto say 16 feet, that would be a lot of different poi files!
Driverjohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There are three ways you can set it up, depending on how many POI files you can deal with.

- Use all the POIs (36) and get complete details on all bridges from 6'6" to 16'3" in 3" steps. I believe the limit is 40 so this might be too many for some people. However you get detailed information, and this is the one I am using.

- There is a POI included that combines all the bridges from 6'6" up to 10'. This cuts the number of POI files to 26.

- You also get a single POI file with all the bridges in one if you prefer it that way.

Even if you use the merged POIs, you can get the height info by selecting the bridge in the map view. I tried this but I like to see the heights shown in the icons. I also have the speed cameras in a single POI and it all works fine. I was in East London yesterday, what a life saver.

John
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John.
snoopsterg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we all Donate a few quid to a certain few who will do this we would all get what we want at a vastly reduced cost than buying the one for £5,000 and it may also.. I for one ould be willing to contribute even though i am not a trucker and have no real need for this. But do agree that for the vast majority this is a necessity..
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the freedom of information act to get the info you need from local authorities is a great idea!!!!!!!! Has anyone tried it?????????????????
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a database free from robin available for download on his and pcoketgps's website

device Lumia 950 xl
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. is it a fully comprehensive list of height restrictions for uk????
Width restrictions would be good to has it got them???
Oh are they only downloadable for the tomtom or would they work with others?
I went on lowbridges.com and this shows on the screen as an actual height restriction sign will this download do the same???
Many thanks!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it will show the height restrictions for uk weight limits dont exsitst as the infomation changes to much for a database to be kept up to date

it will only warn you of a heiht restriction and will not automaticly avoid them

there is a database for navman and robin has said he will do databases for other ones as well but this will take a little time as he is a working driver

device Lumia 950 xl
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suppose you could have the weight limits location but not the specific info on them then you could cross check the route with an up to date map, ive not even got a sat nav yet but am looking to get one just passed class 1 or c&E on Tuesday and trying to find out what would be best one to get and how to set it up any info much welcome? Isn’t there a sat nav with an avoidance feature so as to avoid the points of interest??
thenudehamster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To begin with. let me pass on my grateful thanks to Robin and all the other contributors for all the work on producing the bridge heights PoI sets. I've installed the relevant set on my GO510, but haven't yet had a run that'll take me to a low bridge, so I'm not in a position to check how useful it might be - though it has to be better than nothing at all.

However, I'm intrigued by all the talk of weight limts too; so far, my truck driving has only been in a 7.5 tonne dinky toy, but the company is upgrading to some 'real' HGVs soon, so a database of weight restrictions would be handy. However, for many reasons, including some already stated, I can see this being impractical. Still, an idea of the major weight-limited roads would be useful for the big truck boys. For me it's less restrictive as many of the weight-restricted roads have that wonderful rider 'except for access' and for a home-delivery driver, that's just the getout I usually need.

What would be equally useful would be a database of width restrictions. Suddenly coming up on a 6'6" restriction guarded by a pair of concrete filled steel posts and a queue of traffic behind you is no fun - and often necessitates a detour of several miles to find an alternative. Chessington has an industrial estate guarded by a number of roads like this to avoid artics using the housing estate next to it as a quick way in - but it doesn't help those of us trying to deliver these folks' furniture... Similarly, there are a number of narrow canal and railway bridges with restrictions; knowing them in advance would be wonderful.

It seems to me to be a reasonable idea to somehow be able to flag things like low-bridges and width restrictions in the route planning, but how to do it is less clear. I suppose it could be done by marking each one as a 'favourite' and just picking them in the 'Avoid' dialog, but is there a simpler way when planning the route? I'm not sure if the system coukld handle a couple of hundred favourites...
Is this something that maybe TomTom might be petitioned to include in future firmware upgrades?
Greytop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: using'low bridges' Reply with quote

Hello
I've had my I3 a couple of months now and am very pleased with it. It is the version without a Transflash fitted for standard use and I have just bought a 512mb Sandisk card, which comes with a free SD adapter, to add some custom POIs.
I have loaded 'low bridges' data from info I got from this excellent forum onto the card and plugged the card into the I3.
I all looks fine and all the bridge locations appear in this directory:
whereto/food drinks hotels and more/custom points
I have set the warning distance to15000ft to give me 3 miles warning.

I think this is OK and can now select any one of these as a destination, but I want to AVOID them!
How do I set up the I3 so that the route will not pass under any low bridge in the database or at least give a warning that I am approaching one?
Is there any way to make them visible while navigating so that I can see them coming?
There was a lot of discussion in an earlier thread about low bridge data, but I cant see any thing about using it.
Sorry if I'm being thick and not seeing the obvious, but can somebody help, please?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no unit at present will avoid a point of interest. it will only warn you of its presence

device Lumia 950 xl
Greytop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alix776. Seein them would help. I read in this forum that the POIs have to be input via POIloader, setting the distance alert rather than the speed alert to make POIs visible.
If I do this will all the low bridge POIs appear on the screen in navigation mode, or will each one only appear when I get within the distsnce I set ? Do I have to be travelling in the road that actually passes under the bridge to see it?
If so, will that apply to any POIs I input in the same way, eg swimming pools?
Sorry for so many questions but I can't get my head around this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: