Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT HD Traffic 5.0
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT HD Traffic 5.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT HD Traffic 5.0 was announced on 17 June 2011

http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=585774

and it is implied that we are already using it having had the old version replaced!!??!!

edit

Maybe TT HD Traffic 5.00 is actually the dumbed down version of TT HD Traffic 4.0 that we are all complaining about?
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyway to find out what version of HD traffic is installed, I dont remember swing any update going on that would have done any update. Thanks Paul
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"TomTom HD Traffic 5.0 gives you even more control. Our newest release provides traffic information across up to 99.9% of all roads."

I've read this a few times now but find it somewhat doubtfull and potentially misleading.

99.9% of ALL ROADS? Confused
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just a version number that they (TomTom) are using, it doesn't have anything to do with whats on the device. The current debacle about effective range of the HD Traffic service is something they (TomTom) have changed in how the data is sent to the device, this reduction in range makes the service a complete waste of time for me.
I am not bothered what they call it it could be version 100 for all I care, I want the range back to where it was when the devices were purchased from the shops.

HD Traffic was about the only real valid reason to purchase a TomTom product, the newer devices that rely upon "MyTomTom" now have nothing going for them at all - total waste of money - Mike
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe means they are now going to reduce the range to 5 Miles Razz Razz Razz
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
"TomTom HD Traffic 5.0 gives you even more control. Our newest release provides traffic information across up to 99.9% of all roads."

I've read this a few times now but find it somewhat doubtfull and potentially misleading.

99.9% of ALL ROADS? Confused

Even if they cover just 1% of all roads then they have achieved "up to" 99.9%. It's just more marketing twaddle. All they are really offering is less than 100%
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum up.... So far, all the changes they have made to Traffic have been changes on their servers.
There have been no changes needed on your TomTom unit, so any downloads (or they may be UP-loads) are not to do with HD Traffic.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
To sum up.... So far, all the changes they have made to Traffic have been changes on their servers.
There have been no changes needed on your TomTom unit, so any downloads (or they may be UP-loads) are not to do with HD Traffic.

This is what TomTom have written to me (yesterday) about Traffic 5

Get ready for TomTom HD Traffic 5.0. Our next-generation traffic service gives you even greater control. Plus, be the first to discover what’s new from TomTom at the 2011 IAA International Motor Show in Frankfurt.

TomTom HD Traffic 5.0 gives you even more control. Our newest release provides traffic information across up to 99.9% of all roads. Expected time of arrival is improved. Rerouting becomes more comprehensive. Better still – if you’ve already got TomTom HD Traffic, you’ll automatically receive the update direct to your device.

My understanding having read that is I'm not currently a Traffic 5 user (I use a 940) but that I should expect it 'sometime' via an update to my device - but what sort of update, Andy says changes made to Traffic are on TT's servers, not on devices.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't have to receive an update to the device in order to use the "new" traffic service, all the changes that have been done are more to do with how data is collected, to be honest the e-mail contains little information its written in "Sales and Marketing" "hype" in advance of a major trade show - Rather than spend time and money generating and distributing crap via e-mail I would sooner they resolve the reduced range the HD Traffic system is now delivering.
spook51, you have a 940 which is equipped for Live services, assuming you have a current Live service subscription active then you will be using the "new" service - Mike
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do have a current Live Services subscription Mike but this is the first e-mail I've received from TomTom about the 'new' service, hence my comment.

My major complaint at present is not the reduced Traffic range but intermittent connection with the server - without being able to connect it doesn't matter whether the range is 50 miles or 150.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The data may indeed be controlled from the servers, but the way it is handled, responded to the end result is down to your unit software - and they release suggests that it will give you more control (ie. more options to choose from to "personalize" the service mroe to your preference, because in this debate 50mile or 500mile no one is right - I prefer 50, most it seems 500). Choice is the best solution

Now its down to if my interpretation (read: hope) that they provide user select-able options is correct or not

Thats another story...!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Now its down to if my interpretation (read: hope) that they provide user select-able options is correct or not

You are letting the TomTom marketing team lead you up the garden path, sorry to burst the bubble you must be in but there won't be a new Navcore for ALL Live devices for months, I doubt some of them will ever have any updates again - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
The data may indeed be controlled from the servers, but the way it is handled, responded to the end result is down to your unit software - and they release suggests that it will give you more control (ie. more options to choose from to "personalize" the service mroe to your preference, because in this debate 50mile or 500mile no one is right - I prefer 50, most it seems 500). Choice is the best solution

Thats another story...!

I think you have misunderstood the email completely - the TT definition of 'choice' is nothing to do with more options on the device - basically they are saying that if HD Traffic 5.0 is now more precise regarding the start point nad end point of incidents, as well as covering side streets and slip roads, therefore your device has more choices of alternative routes. I don't know where your idea of new Navcores with more options has come from????

As for the 50/500 miles, I don't recall anyone saying they wanted a 500 mile range on HD Traffic - I think you are exaggerating here. All the majority of people want is the service they have paid for and used to have - a 100 mile range.

If you are happy with a 50 mile range then I hope you never have to do what I did on Friday - a 250 mile journey on the Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend. 75 mile range was useless to me as by the time every major incident appeared on the TT there was no way of avoiding it other than a 'local' diversion which maybe saved a couple of minutes. I still ended up in every hold up on the M40/M42/M6 without being offered one single diversion. It took well over 4 1/2 hours to do what should have been a 3 1/2 hour journey as HD Traffic offered me no alternative routes, even though some delays were flagged up as approaching 60 minutes.

I was better off in the days of RDS-TMC.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:

..... Better still – if you’ve already got TomTom HD Traffic, you’ll automatically receive the update direct to your device.

spook51 wrote:
this is the first e-mail I've received from TomTom about the 'new' service,

Didn't the previous email about HDTraffic v4 say almost exactly the same thing?
i.e. vague mumbo-jumbo that made people think there was going to be something downloaded to their devices.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
spook51 wrote:

..... Better still – if you’ve already got TomTom HD Traffic, you’ll automatically receive the update direct to your device.

spook51 wrote:
this is the first e-mail I've received from TomTom about the 'new' service,

Didn't the previous email about HDTraffic v4 say almost exactly the same thing?
i.e. vague mumbo-jumbo that made people think there was going to be something downloaded to their devices.

You may well be right, it's certainly causing confusion judging by the posts here but the English version of this e-mail implies that - i.e. 'updates direct to devices'.

Is it deliberate or has something been lost in translation from Dutch to English?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: