Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wrong Destination from Contact
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrong Destination from Contact
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alecbowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Wrong Destination from Contact Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right forum. Have recently bought Navigon MobileNavigator Version 3.6.2 (build. 1134, NK 13)

As a test I used a work contact with information as follows:

Company Name
Broad Oak Business Park
The Airport
Portsmouth
Hampshire
PO3 5PQ
United Kingdom

Navigon gave me the following destination:

Lower Teme Business Park
WR15 8
Tenbury Wells

Close but no cigar. It is 165 miles in the wrong direction but it is at least still in the UK.

Anyone know what is going on here? Any help would be graefully received.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this android or iphone?

do you have the postcode in the correct field in your contacts?

MaFt
alecbowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Android on an HTC Desire S. Post code is in the correct field. If I shorten "Broad Oak Business Park" to "Broad Oak" it gives me a completely different destination.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like it is getting confused then as it probably doesn't have "broad oak business park" as a street name - which, technically, it isn't.

for cases like this it may be better to simply enter the postcode (until such a time that navigon uses the postcode as the primary address method when using contacts!)

does it work with 'normal' contacts on actual streets with names rather than business parks?

MaFt
alecbowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon doesn't use the Postcode as the primary address method!!!!???? In case it has escaped their notice, not all addresses start off with a house number and street name. There must be 100,000s living in cities where the address is an apartment block or whatever. A system that can't find a business address is hardly fit for purpose either.

Where have these guys been since the 1960's? Perhaps they smoked too much waccky baccy. Postcodes were invented in the UK in 1959 so pre-date the concept of GPS by at least 15 years (or 35 years before it was fully operational).

So we have a code which identifies no more than 100 addresses. Together with the first line of the address gives a unique address. Navigon proudly states that they do full Postcode searches but for contacts they do something else which appears to be completely random. WHY? It must have taken a aweful lot of effort to produce something so complicated and completely useless.

Just to check, I looked up "PO3 5PQ" on the official Post Office Address Finder. It gives the address as

B A E Systems
Broad Oak Works
Airport Service Road
PORTSMOUTH
PO3 5PQ

So the original contact was slightly wrong. When corrected, Navigon gives me a destination of somewhere different from before

Burwash Road
TN21 8
Heathfield

Ok so the address starts with a "B". Apart from that I can't see any similarity.

Any way, so I tried a residential address which it did find. So now I need to change work contacts to use the Post code only. As a work round OK, but not exactly a polished product.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's any consolation, most nav apps on phones that use the address book handle it the same way - basing it off the street as opposed to the postcode...

navigon DOES have full postcode search, but you weren't searching for a postcode ;)

MaFt
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sygic does not use Postcodes in the contact address fields either. Does any sat nav app?

I suspect that the reason for this is that sat nav is an international product, and is aimed at an internal market. In the UK we have probably the most accurate system of post codes going. Many other countries don't have the equivalent of post codes. With most of those that do the code is used to narrow it down to town rather than street level and therefore often covers large areas and many addresses.

So for most of the rest of the world post code search is useless without a street name as well. I am not condoning this, just trying to understand it.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
alecbowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, back to the problem. Another office I go to is in New Malden, KT3 4LH. Entering the postcode only in the contact results in "address not found". So I tried to enter the address by "enter an address".

Postcode gets as far as "KT" but doesn't recognise "3" . Then tried by town (New Malden), it lists the High Street, but doesn't accept "7". So the closest I can get it the street. Entering "PO3" for the Portsmouth postcode isn't recognised either.

Then I found that it could get the right location from the contact postcode only if there was no space between the 3 and 4. But on other contacts it works fine with a space.

I don't really think I should need to conduct an experiment every time I want to travel somewhere.

Does Navigon do any software testing?
alecbowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the lack of post codes in some countries is hardly a good excuse. After all this is a GPS system, accurate to a few meters if better.

Then it is very simple - if there is a postcode search using that, and if not, then search by town, street and number.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO satellite navigation system is based around postcodes. That would be daft as they are so vague.

They ALL start off with a grid of Latitude and Longitude coordinates.
They then lay a pattern of road shapes across that grid
They then produce a database of town and road names to apply to that pattern.
They then add SOME house/building numbers to positions on the roads (and a method to interpolate the ones in between).
They then produce another look-up table to match postcodes to streets (which is why they still need a building number for best match).

All of the steps apart from the first will be subject to some errors.

Normally, on a dedicated sat-nav system, you enter the info about the destination in certain specific ways and you can see from it's replies how it is coping with the information you are giving it (for example if you enter a post code, you can SEE if it is not finding the right street name)
But from your descriptions, it sounds like the iPhone app. is just using any or all of the information in a phone book contact? And if that's the case, you are at it's mercy when it finds what seems (to it to) be conflicting information.
alecbowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK but do you know what the lat/long is of your destination? I don't often see it printed on business cards or written down on my Christmas Cards.

If you want to go that way, what spheroid are they using? WGS84 would be normal but there are any number of other spheroids and different grid systems. If you are far enough north or south you should use a polar projection etc.

Anyway the point is that of course their maps are not based on postcodes but whether you like it or not, in this country that is the mechanism which most people would narrow down an address. Any Sat Nav tool that is incapable of identifying a destination reliably from that or town/street/no. is worse than useless.

I was just testing this unit and knew where these locations are. If I had needed a navigation device in these examples, I would have been better of with a paper map or some scrawled notes taken down over the phone - cheaper too (and I wouldn't have been directed to some totally spurrious location 200 miles from where I should have gone)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you enter the postcode then it works correctly, yes?

The issue you're having is how a piece of satnav software 'filters' the address field(s) on a mobile device.

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alecbowman wrote:
I would have been better of with a paper map....

And just how do you navigate to a postcode with one of those? Very Happy

Sorry, I'll try to keep it serious...

alecbowman wrote:
OK but do you know what the lat/long is of your destination? I don't often see it printed on business cards or written down on my Christmas Cards.

Actually, I'm beginning to see it used more and more!
I wish the change-over to it was happening quicker though in guide books etc.

alecbowman wrote:
If you want to go that way, what spheroid are they using? WGS84 would be normal but there are any number of other spheroids

I think all retail sat-navs use WGS84.

alecbowman wrote:
Any Sat Nav tool that is incapable of identifying a destination reliably from {postcodes] or town/street/no. is worse than useless.

True enough, but as MaFt says, we think it's not the satnav side of things that's letting you down here, but the fact that you're using "contacts" on the iPhone?

(I'm guessing here as I don't have the hardware or software you do, so am only going on what you've said in your posts).

Are you able to 'navigate to' directly to a particular postcode on the Navigon software WITHOUT using contacts?
alecbowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paper map works fine, you contact the person at your destination to get some "scribbled directions" and then stop anyone who doesn't look like the village idiot for directions when you get lost. I also qualified this to some extent by saying that such directions were most unlikely to send you 200 miles in the wrong direction so arguably more accurate than this Sat Nav.

Use of lat/long appears rather limiting in some respects - why not use OS Grid references for example (Mercator), as any competent person can work out the required coordinates down to 10m without too much difficulty (with 8 figure Grid Ref). Apparently GPS uses the GRS80 elipsoid.

Anyway - back to the subject. Actually I am using an HTC Android device, not iPhone. One bug bear is that Navigon don't appear to publish any User Guide. The only links that look promising on their web site suddenly change to German. Consequently it is actually quite difficult to find out what is supposed to be supported on this package.

There appear to be two basic ways to set a destination; using Contact details or Typing in the address.

Problems with Contacts seem to occur when the address includes a building name or industrial estate name etc, even when these are as defined in the Post Office database. In these cases it also doesn't appear possible to enter the address with enough accurately to be much help. (Navigon doesn't recognise anything other than a Number or Intersection with another road).

So if Contact details don't work and the address isn't accurate enough a post code would help (for some commercial areas, a post code identifies down to the building directly. The tower block in New Malden has 3 post codes that apply to different companies)

For the iPhone the Post Code search appears to be a paid for option so I began to think that it wasn't properly supported in Android. This was odd because I had been able to enter a Post Code on occasions. I have now discovered one of the problems here.

The Android "Keyboard" is laid out as compact QWERTY type. On the HTC at least, numeric values are entered in two ways:

1) press and hold down the appropriate key until the numeric value option appears. I.e. to select "5" the "t" key is held down until the display gives the option of the "5" character.

2) Toggle the keyboard layout to numeric and type the value directly .

I found that the first way doesn't work but by switching to the numeric layout it is possible to enter a post code. So the Navigon software does not appear to be entirely compatible with the Android keyboard.

This still doesn't get round non standard addresses and contact details though.

The biggest irritant though is that Navigon clearly don't want reports of software errors as there appears to be no link or technical support option on their web site. Perhaps it's because "Ve Germans do not have ze Softvare errors"?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alecbowman wrote:
The paper map works fine, you contact the person at your destination to get some "scribbled directions" and then stop anyone who doesn't look like the village idiot for directions when you get lost.

But you were talking about postcodes. What happens when you ask the local how to get to BD1 2EL? They look at you blank. Wink

alecbowman wrote:
Use of lat/long appears rather limiting in some respects - why not use OS Grid references for example (Mercator), as any competent person can work out the required coordinates down to 10m without too much difficulty (with 8 figure Grid Ref). Apparently GPS uses the GRS80 elipsoid.

How would that work in, say Germany or New Zealand? I thought the OS Grid References only covered the UK - or are you referring to a different OS as opposed to 'Ordnance Survey'?

alecbowman wrote:
One bug bear is that Navigon don't appear to publish any User Guide. The only links that look promising on their web site suddenly change to German. Consequently it is actually quite difficult to find out what is supposed to be supported on this package.

Annoying... isn't it..?!

alecbowman wrote:
The Android "Keyboard" is laid out as compact QWERTY type. On the HTC at least, numeric values are entered in two ways:

1) press and hold down the appropriate key until the numeric value option appears. I.e. to select "5" the "t" key is held down until the display gives the option of the "5" character.

2) Toggle the keyboard layout to numeric and type the value directly.

I found that the first way doesn't work but by switching to the numeric layout it is possible to enter a post code. So the Navigon software does not appear to be entirely compatible with the Android keyboard.

You will probably find that you are using a HTC keyboard as opposed to the plain vanilla standard Android keyboard.

alecbowman wrote:
This still doesn't get round non standard addresses and contact details though.

If it's non-standard (your own words) then how can you expect software to understand every non-standard address?? What rules would it follow for knowing what is what?

alecbowman wrote:
The biggest irritant though is that Navigon clearly don't want reports of software errors as there appears to be no link or technical support option on their web site. Perhaps it's because "Ve Germans do not have ze Softvare errors"?

Laughing Out Loud. It does seem like that but if you use The Facebook or The Twitter they are quite open to suggestions and issues. On The Twitter they usually ask you to email twitter@navigon.com and they then pass on to the relevent department. Maybe worth a try with that method?

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: