Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!) Reply with quote

I have just bought a new 1005, to replace my 750 Live. The 750 just kept rebooting and was too slow.

What an error.

The HD traffic downloads, but doesn't appear on my route. Nothing. Totally useless.

I took some photos of the same route on my 750 (left) and 1005 (right). See below. I then connected the 1005 to my PC and updated it, but now my subscription has moved to the 1005 and so the 750 doesn't work at all.

So, £260 to Tomtom and they have disabled my working unit and provided me with a non-working 1005.

Before I send it back with a vile note, is this a known problem?

JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like (but is not 100%clear) that the incidents you are seeing on your 750 are more than 50 miles from your "current" location. The 1005 does not use them in the routing calculation until you get closer. This sometimes improves the accuracy of routing (e.g. most incidents will have gone by the time you drive 50 miles to get to them), but sometimes it makes estimates and routing incaccurate. It would be nice to ave user control over this.

I don't understand why you asked TT to do anything with your 750 subscription. A new 1005 will come with its own subscription, and (if you followed the advice on this site) should be registered to a totally separate email address.

BTW, have you done anything to confirm that your 750 has a hardware fault, or is it just one of the usual (fixable) software glitches?
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the delays are about 55 miles away.

Unfortunately I really want to see the journey time before I set off (this is my commute) and the 750 did this nicely. I would put the 750 in the kitchen window and it would tell me when I had to set off. Also it was good to monitor the length of the delay as you drove towards it, because you could see whether it was growing or shrinking. On the M1, problems don't go in the 40 minutes or so range that the 1005 is limited to.

I guess I'll just send it back, given that it just fails to do what I need, and what the 750 did.

My 750 has been replaced twice, and they all continue to re-boot when planning, or when re-planning (ie, just when you need it most). I gave up on TT support a long time ago! I thought I could resolve the problem with the 1005.... Rolling Eyes

Moving the subscription to the 1005 was my mistake - when I connected it up a pop up asked me if I wanted to associate the 1005 to my TT account - I pressed yes before it occurred to me that I would lose the 750 subscriptions. I hope TT support will sort this out after I return the 1005.

Is the a PND with a traffic service as good as the TT, but without the problems of the TT PNDs?[/b]
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would the new units ignore roadworks on your route when planning as they most likley still be there when you get to that point?

Looking at the screen shots they are roadworks on route.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that there were roadworks on the traffic info at that moment.

I am off on another regular trip today (100 miles) and the uselessness of the 1005 is showing through again.

Leicester to Grimsby. M1/M180 or A46? The 750 would tell me about problems up the M1, this thing won't.

Likewise, if you try to use the map, it doesn't remember where you were (it always shows the whole route) and the traffic colour doesn't now have arrows so you can't see which side of the road the delay is on. Genius.

How can TT have gone so far backwards with this new product?
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Not sure I can directly help with your issues, but can offer the following.

Every day I commute from Milton Keynes to London, down the M1. Every day, the unit tells me every day, and both ways of the roadworks on the M1, and also of any issues, as in holdups, and potential delays. Therefore I have no idea why yours doesn't but my 1005 does.

Not sure I understand your other issues either, but I don't seem to have the whole route shown on map, but perhaps I am misunderstanding your problem.

I find it mildly amusing to say the least that because you have issues, you decide to slate TomTom as a whole. From time to time we all have problems with hardware, when Windows crashes, do you slate the whole of Microsoft, and send your PC back to buy a Mac? My Android mobile phone reboots occasionally, but I have posted for assistance on an Android forum, but have not slated the whole of Google. I think a little perspective is required here, ask for some help before going on the rampage.

Finally, I do agree with one thing, the 1005 is a step back from my 730T. However I accept that, but put up with it, because, the routing, the HD traffic and the mount all offset the problems with the new Home, and the features removed.

If I can help further, post some issues, and I'll look to see of mine does the same.

Cheers,

Gary
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloater wrote:
Hi,

Not sure I can directly help with your issues, but can offer the following.

Every day I commute from Milton Keynes to London, down the M1. Every day, the unit tells me every day, and both ways of the roadworks on the M1, and also of any issues, as in holdups, and potential delays. Therefore I have no idea why yours doesn't but my 1005 does.

The problem is this - if the traffic events are further than 45 miles from where you are now, then they don't show up. So you have no idea that your route is horribly blocked until it's too late.

I do Leicester to Luton every day. My 750 shows all the delays on the route when I start, which as you know, are normally associated with the 16 miles of roadworks north of J10. What I do on a late shift is keep my 750 in the kitchen, and if it looks like it's a proper mess I set off early.

The 1005 doesn't do this. It just looks half way down my route (normally clear) and only reports that. So it can be a total mess on the M1 and it states that the whole route is clear.

You can see that on the side by side shots above. The two units are both showing my commute - the 750 has the 40 minute delay but the 1005 shows the route as completely clear. It simply couldn't be more wrong.

Your commute is fine, because it is shorter.

I am annoyed at this surprise change, because I have spent money on a newer unit and it is crippled by a cost saving decision that makes the 1005 totally pointless compared to the 750. I am not slating the whole of Tomtom, just the fool who has made this change.

You could try to reproduce the fault by planning a route from Coalville to Luton airport and see if the roadworks show up.

bloater wrote:
Not sure I understand your other issues either, but I don't seem to have the whole route shown on map, but perhaps I am misunderstanding your problem.

On the 750 you could "browse map" when driving a route. You could have an advanced zoom in look at a traffic problem. Then you go back to nav. And when you want to look at the problem again you "browse map" and it displays the zoomed in problem area again. This was useful.

On the 1005 you do the same. But there's no "browse map" any more, just "show route on map" and you get the map zoomed out to the whole route. You then zoom and pan in and look at the problem. Then you go back to nav. Then you want to look at the problem again, but you have to "show route on map" and zoom and pan again. Not a disaster, just very annoying.

Today I drove 240 miles. The little sidebar never showed any traffic further away than 41 miles. I wanted to decide between two quite different routes, but couldn't because of the crippled traffic range. On the 750 I can see much further than 41 miles down the route (not sure how much, but at least 150 miles).

bloater wrote:
I find it mildly amusing to say the least that because you have issues, you decide to slate TomTom as a whole. From time to time we all have problems with hardware, when Windows crashes, do you slate the whole of Microsoft, and send your PC back to buy a Mac? My Android mobile phone reboots occasionally, but I have posted for assistance on an Android forum, but have not slated the whole of Google. I think a little perspective is required here, ask for some help before going on the rampage.

I am annoyed because the new device turns out to be so much worse than the old one. Worse to the point that it's no good to me. I'd be fine if a fix was in the pipeline, but it appears that this crippled range is to reduce their data costs, and so is "by design". If I spent £260 to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and found that it would only use 1 CPU, 1GB RAM and run a maximum of two tasks at once, I would be annoyed with Microsoft and would want to either switch OS or return to Windows 7. Especially if these strange new restrictions were not advertised.

bloater wrote:
Finally, I do agree with one thing, the 1005 is a step back from my 730T. However I accept that, but put up with it, because, the routing, the HD traffic and the mount all offset the problems with the new Home, and the features removed.

For me the new Home is not a stopper. I can work round it. The mount is worse (for me) but again I can put up with it. The reflective screen is shocking, but I can shield it with my hand. However the HD traffic worked beautifully on the 750 Live, but fails entirely for me with the 1005. If I never had to a journey more than 45 miles, then it would be fine, but my shortest journey is 81 miles so it fails. Horribly.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

One thing I forgot to say - I have put my concerns to TT support and I'll post here their comments.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could understand not taking into account any traffic that was "out of area", but if the device has the information, and the pictures show it has, then it should surely display it?

This is indeed not fit for purpose. The 7x0 range shows how it can work, and you expect things to get better over time. (Not always the same, but better overall, but this is obviously worse.)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps not considering anything beyond 50miles speeds up the routing, allbeit less accurately Sad
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The routing is more or less instant anyway - this is just horrible software design. It has the information downloaded, but just decides to not display it and not act on it.

The response from TT support:

Quote:
As GO LIVE 1005 is the new generation device, its features are different than the GO 750 the older generation device.

The new generation devices comes with much more improved features and updates, therefore the traffic updates received by it is upto 50 miles away.

However, this inconvenience caused to you in this regard has been taken into consideration and I would be escalating your feedback to the concern department.

I'll take it back today, it's of no use to me at all.
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to respond, you have enlightened me on that one.

My commute is 52 miles, hence I get the traffic straight away, explains that one.

Surely though on your commute, 50 miles is more than enough time to re-route yourself. Coming down the M1 there are so many junctions to remove yourself, possibly 20 or 30 miles before your destination?

I can honestly say, that if I was on an 80 mile journey, I wouldn't be interested in traffic until I was only 10, maybe 15 miles away, or min 2 junctions on the motorway.

What you are suggesting is that if you know of a problem 75 miles away, an hour of driving give or take, you would take a different route from the off, seems slightly bizarre to me.

I guess though that as you are used to having that functionality, its a bit hard losing it. One thing is for certain though, your 750 won't last forever, and no-one I know offers better traffic than TT at the moment, and having only had my 1005 for a few weeks, my homework has been completed fairly recently.

Best of luck reverting back, but maybe a rethink on your expectations of traffic in general may soften the blow. Also be interesting to actually see if TT do anything about it. Should be relatively easy to change a 50 to a 100 in the programming, after all the incidents countrywide are temporarily displayed on the unit.

Gary
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloater wrote:
Surely though on your commute, 50 miles is more than enough time to re-route yourself. Coming down the M1 there are so many junctions to remove yourself, possibly 20 or 30 miles before your destination?

I can honestly say, that if I was on an 80 mile journey, I wouldn't be interested in traffic until I was only 10, maybe 15 miles away, or min 2 junctions on the motorway.

What you are suggesting is that if you know of a problem 75 miles away, an hour of driving give or take, you would take a different route from the off, seems slightly bizarre to me.

My commute is from Solihull to Milton Keynes. My normal route is via the M6/M1; however, if there is a long delay on the M1 - which is far from uncommon - one of my alternate routes is via the M40/A422. This route is so different from my regular route that I must be aware of any traffic problems right at the beginning of my journey. Waiting until I am 10-15 miles away from an incident is not an option. This is one of the reasons why I have not yet invested in a TT1000.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloater wrote:

You might just be mildly interested if the problem was long hold ups at long term roadworks Confused
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing traffic a long way off makes a big difference, in my case travelling from where I live to the North East I have the choice of the A1 or M1, both near enough the same distance and time when there are no delays. I need to know before I set off if there are any significant delays on either route so I can choose which way to go.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 1 of 27

Jump to: