Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 70 Premium with POI-Warner
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 70 Premium with POI-Warner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Navigon 70 Premium with POI-Warner Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have just upgraded from the Navigon 7100 where I used POI Warner with the well known Archies Campsite POIs - all 30,000 European ones. As well as these I had many thousands of other European POIs that were relevant to travelling in a motorhome in Europe.

I knew that the Navigon 70 now allowed you to load your POIs into it's own POI database. What I didn't know was that there was a limit of 10,000 POIs in total under the MYPOIs heading.

Could someone tell me if it possible to use POI Warner with the Navigon 70 ? If so is it the MN6 or MN7 version? If it does run on the 70; does it work in exactly the same way as it was with my Navigon 7100 ?

Even though POI Warner was a separate application I really had no problem with it. It worked fine and as far as I was concerned it did exactly what it said on the tin. So I would be quite happy to run it as my main POI application.

Any advise or indeed instruction would be welcome.

Dave
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Welcome !! You will need Version 4 of MN7 - unfortunately this is not available in the UK at present, but only in Germany, and they seem very unsure about any UK release date (said to me possibly 1st/2nd Q this year). I'm not too optimistic at present!

Although the current MN7 version doesn't work properly with the 70, they said they think they can get it to work, but as I don't have a great need for many extra POIs, I gave up on their (excellent) attempts to help me. If you are really interested though, with all your POIs, I suggest you contact them and see what they can do.

Version 4 won't work the same as now, it's actually better integrated, and shows the POIs on the main map. There are quite a number of other UI improvements too.
davidod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David for your comments.

It looks like it's still in doubt as to whether the Navigon 70 is fit for purpose or not.

It's a surprisingly small max number of POIs all the same. You might be surprised to hear that the same Archies Campsites lists 5,500 UK campsites and no less than 12,500 for France.

By the way; do you know of anyway to change the male voice for one of the the more familiar female ones?

Again; many thanks for your input.

Dave
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Dave,

With your old Navigon, I don't think you could put ANY POIs on, could you? I couldn't, which is why I used POI Warner. The 70, etc series is at least a (possibly small!) step in the right direction for them.

I have more than the max POIs as well (including PGPSW's cameras), but I suspect most people would not approach the 10,000 mark - a surprising number go blank at the mere mention of POIs Laughing .

You can't change the male TTS voice at present (I assume you mean TTS?) except for the female non-TTS voice, or the "Funny Voices" (also non-TTS) packages from Navigon. Maybe Garmin will alter things once they're in the driving seat (or maybe not).
davidod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't make myself clear on that David. I did of course have to use POI Warner. But as far as my new Navigon 70 is concerned it still remains a thorny issue - for me.

I suppose I would prefer to work on getting used to this fella rather than loose the TTS. It was a surprising and brave choice to use a male voice without providing an alternative.

Regarding the change of ownership; I'm not sure what Garmin could bring to the party. Personally I would have preferred it to remained in Navigon hands.

Anyway; thanks for the information David. Appreciate the help.

Dave
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, yes, I'm sorry about the takeover too. It's just I think that Garmin do (or did) offer free multiple TTS & non-TTSvoices so they might bring that approach to Navigon. As it happens though, I seem to be in the very small minority of people who actually like the Navigon TTS voice (mainly because I'm pretty deaf and it's very clear).

But I use the non-TTS voices I have quite a lot out of town as well, because road names are often not present or clearly visible outside towns anyway, and the non-TTS voices still tell you the road number, which is much more useful in my experience.
davidod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Sorry to impose further on you but you have me thinking now.

Where do you go about downloading these Non TTS voices? If I did try one can you go back to the original without issues? Can you change over voices from within the Navigon main menu structure?

BTW I received a reply from Navigon.de who say that MN7 is full compatible with the 70 series. They also explained that the POIs are not displayed on the map. So I'm not sure where you do see them?

Anyway - thanks for all.
Dave
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Navigon do 2 packages of 'Funny Voices' - one is 'famous characters' and the other is 'local dialects'. I have both simply because they gave them to me as a sort of compensation for my 70 Live disasters! I've only bothered with a couple of the dialect voices, which seem reasonably clear, and do make a bit of a change. These voice packagess are the only alternatives at the moment - they may seem like 'frivolous entertainment', but my main interest is the voice quality. Only problem I've just noticed is that they have gone up a lot to ~£20 each (though IF you can get them through one of the other Navigon sites - eg International - they are ~€20, so ~£17) which would make me think more than twice!

Anyway, yes it is easy to change voices from the menu, and get back to the standard one.

Now, MN7 and POI-Warner - DON'T BUY IT YET! I tried the current version several months back and it didn't work. navigating.de suggested a few software changes but it was dragging on a bit, and I only have a small need for it, so I gave up when I found how to tweak Navigon's own 10K limit.

I tried it again this morning and it's just the same (not even any new version number from before), so I think you were given a bit of duff info. Anyway, I've also emailed the support guy who was helping me to get an update and will let you know what he says.

If you look on their website and select MN7 you get a picture of the screen display - you can see the small panel on the left of the map, which shows the icon and has a sort of distance countdown. That's what you would get at present (if it worked!).
davidod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
Thanks again for all that information.

Yes - I did see the funny voices and the dialects all-right. I thought hat maybe there were some available independently. I'll hold off those for the moment.

Quote:
so I gave up when I found how to tweak Navigon's own 10K limit.

Now that's a part that really interests me. If that limit can be lifted then all problems solved. Any chance of some help on that one?

Dave
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

See my last post in
Quote:
Custom POI's - The Official Navigon Way
There is a link to an excellent (but German Embarassed ) site, pocketnavigation.de. There is an awful lot of info there on everything to tweak and complain about!

I don't speak german, so as I have Firefox, I use the excellent translation add-on BabelFish which can translate a whole web page, and then keeps to english (of a sort!) as you forward/backward link between threads. So you don't have to keep translating individual posts. It may well be available with other browsers.

The thread I suggested contains several posts about how to increase the POI limit, with 50,000 being reported as perfectly ok for one user (someone with a Plus which only has a default limit of 1,000 seems to be able to handle 15,000 before it runs into trouble).

It's the proverbial "one line change", with most of the work being backing up the device first for safety. You connect the 70 to your PC, then open the 70's files with Windows Explorer (or whatever). The Navigon file involved on the 70 is
Quote:
"Navigon" / folder "Settings" file. Here you see an XML file named "application settings". Open with an "Editor" such as Notepad.
Here you can see a lot of text.
and the change you make is
Quote:
Scroll down until almost the end, there you see the following passage:

(Open Chevron)UserPois(Close Chevron)
(Open Chevron)MaxPois(Close Chevron) 10000(Open Chevron) / MaxPois(Close Chevron)
(Open Chevron)/ UserPois(Close Chevron)

Change the number 10000 to a larger value, 50000 certainly seems to be quite safe, but a larger value should work as well judging from the german forum.

Save and close Wordpad with the revised number - don't change the file format.

Although it is very straightforward, it's a good idea to have a little practice first Shocked ! So you might like to make a copy of the file to practise on first - amend the copy in Wordpad, save, and then open again and you should see that everything's fine. Then you can do the 'real thing'.

One final thing. I found that I had to repeat it after an upgrade, because the default file gets loaded again. Second time is even easier Cool !

If this hasn't frightened you off, I'll be happy to try and answer any questions.
davidod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you? ONLY BRILLIANT.

As far as I can see that has sorted out all my problems. I can load all the POIs without any message at boot-up time.

All I can say is thank you very much for all the help and information.

All the best
Dave
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help Dave. Hope it works Joker . Be interested to hear how you get on as I personally only increased the limit slightly.
davidod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Just to update you. I'm actually not out of the woods just yet.

All of the POIs appear to load OK at the start and the categories show up in the MyPOISs on the Maps Display Settings but only one category of POI will work in the Search for a POI in a City.

I'm planning to reduce the 50,000 setting down to 15,000 and try with the France Campsites that numbers just over 12,000 and see what happens.

If you hear anything on the MN7 front I think I would prefer to use it. It gives you the POIs in the radius with the distances; and that's very relevant.

I'll keep you posted.

Dave
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bit odd, Dave! I know that operation isn't guaranteed by Navigon once the limit is exceeded (but then they don't always get it right in any case), but your 'error' seems very peculiar, especially as it you say it is ok on the maps. How about 'POI on Your Route'? If anything went wrong I would have expected it to be POIs generally, not categories.

Two initial possibilities occur to me

- in increasing you POIs you have also increased the number of categories to over 40 (another limit);

- in the particular location you chose for 'POI in a City', there WAS only one category of POI which had a POI within the set radius of the location (in which case it wouldn't show you the others, as they are too far away).

Very interesting ...

I'll certainly let you know when I hear anything about V4 of POI-Warner - all navigating.de have done so far is confirmed that Version 3 still DOESN'T work with the 70. They mentioned another of their products which they said IS ok, and has more functionality, which is called POIbase (www.poibase.com). Don't know anything about it myself, but you might like to have a look?

Keep taking the tablets Confused !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: