Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacement TT Advice Requested - Go 750 Live?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement TT Advice Requested - Go 750 Live?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldRoadUser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Replacement TT Advice Requested - Go 750 Live? Reply with quote

I currently have a Go920 that's damaged and, unfortunately, I cannot afford one of the top-end new devices.

My dilemma is that I only have a budget of £150. I wouldn't want to end up with anything less than the capabilities of my Go920 European. I have seen some 'refurbished' GO 750 LIVE for sale on the TT site and some other similar units for sale on eBay.

My trusty Go920 holds the whole of Western and Central Europe map, and the map updates and the 3rd Party POI's work without an issue. I've heard that some older TT devices are more complicated to 'map update' than others in particular their internal memory cannot hold the maps. Also I've heard that some of the latest models wont accept 3rd party POI's.

Can anyone help me with some advice? Are there any issues with the Go750 Live and map updates or using 3rd party POI's?
Or alternative are there are any other TT units (around £150 cost or less) that I should consider?
Any advice welcome. Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you update the map on a Go-750 the Home software will force you to load a zoned European map which reduces the coverage offered by the device, to get th efull (no zoned) Map you need to fit a 4GB MicroSDHC card and load the map to that.
No issues with third party POI files - Mike
OldRoadUser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Thank you for that advice. In the absence of a another Go920, it looks like I'm on the right track.
I believe the Go920 had 4GB onboard so didn't need the SD card option.
Probably a silly question now..... would the 'full un-zoned map load from a map update automatically with a 4GB card or is there a ' fudge' to make it happen?
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldRoadUser wrote:
Mike, Thank you for that advice. In the absence of a another Go920, it looks like I'm on the right track.
I believe the Go920 had 4GB onboard so didn't need the SD card option.
Probably a silly question now..... would the 'full un-zoned map load from a map update automatically with a 4GB card or is there a ' fudge' to make it happen?

I have a 750 Live, to which I have fitted a 4GB Class 6 MicroSDHC card. I had to remove the card and put it in a card reader in order to install the full Europe map. Home would only offer me zones while the card was in my 750.

Having said that, I am delighted with the 750 itself - all my POIs, camera warnings etc transferred over from my 720, have survived a map update, and the Live traffic has been very good so far. It saves all the wires for the TMC antenna - something else which had to be removed from the screen for security purposes and the mount is vastly superior to the one which came with my 720.

Amazon were selling them for £135 when I bought mine Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy way to get the full map on the memory card is to copy all the folders and files from the device to the PC then copy them all to the memory card maintaining the folder/ file structure, then use Home to update the map by putting the MicroSD card in to a card reader.

Had you updated the maps on the 920 to the latest versions they would have needed a memory card for the same reason as even the 4GB storage in the 920 isn't enough to hold the NA and WE maps - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of caution with the refurb devices though, TomTom seem to have stopped the Latest Map Guarantee (LMG) with these refurb products, have a look on Amazon for a true "New" 750 Live as you get the LMG thrown in with these - Mike
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
A word of caution with the refurb devices though, TomTom seem to have stopped the Latest Map Guarantee (LMG) with these refurb products, have a look on Amazon for a true "New" 750 Live as you get the LMG thrown in with these - Mike

Also, Halfords are still selling the 2 year Map update card for £29.90 Very Happy

This worked perfectly with my 750 Live (but bear in mind that it must be activated within 90 days of purchase)
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Froggy wrote:
Also, Halfords are still selling the 2 year Map update card for £29.90 Very Happy

This worked perfectly with my 750 Live (but bear in mind that it must be activated within 90 days of purchase)

Are you saying it worked with a refurb?
OldRoadUser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The easy way to get the full map on the memory card is to copy all the folders and files from the device to the PC then copy them all to the memory card maintaining the folder/ file structure, then use Home to update the map by putting the MicroSD card in to a card reader.

Had you updated the maps on the 920 to the latest versions they would have needed a memory card for the same reason as even the 4GB storage in the 920 isn't enough to hold the NA and WE maps - Mike
I had updated the Go920 shortly before I dropped it! It downloaded fine probably because I'd removed the NA maps.
Sorry if i'm being a bit dense but how does Home software identify the card in a card reader as being the Go750 sat nav? I thought you actually had to start the SatNav and connect it via the cable?
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Froggy wrote:

Are you saying it worked with a refurb?

No. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I bought the 750 Live from Amazon. I see they are now charging £168 for it, but it is still a good unit. I have no idea if the card would work with a refurb.... Might be worth an e-mail to tomtom?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldRoadUser wrote:
Sorry if i'm being a bit dense but how does Home software identify the card in a card reader as being the Go750 sat nav?

By putting all the files and folders on the memory card TomTom Home will "see" the memory card as a connected device, the serial number and device code are stored in one of the files in the root of the memory card (ttgo.bif) - Mike
OldRoadUser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another silly question.
So, I am in the position where I have copied all the files from the device to the SD card and then use that to update the map. Seems simple enough.

Wont the device get confused with the ttgo.bif file and the application being in two places when it starts up? Or am I missing a step?

I have over 12 month left to run on my map updates for the Go920,, does anyone know if you can transfer it to a new device, or am I hoping for too much?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the device boots up it first of all checks to see if there is software on the memory card, if there is it will use the memory card to boot from, when it sees no software on the memory card it then boots from the internal storage instead.
Transfering map updates to a different device has been troublesome in the past, probably best to give TomTom a ring on 0845 161 0009 and get the low down straight from them - Mike
OldRoadUser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give TT a call next week. Many thanks.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldRoadUser wrote:
Wont the device get confused with the ttgo.bif file and the application being in two places when it starts up? Or am I missing a step?

I think of it like setting the boot priority on a PC - first look at A, or C, or D or wherever. For the TT, the default is to boot from the card rather than the internal (even though it never has a card in the slot when it is first sold!). Then, just like a PC, if there's nothing in the drive, it'll boot from the next one.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: