Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - France To Ban Sale And Use Of Speed Camera Warning Systems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

France To Ban Sale And Use Of Speed Camera Warning Systems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milysev
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Zone Dangereuse Reply with quote

Will we be getting the French database re-invented as ZDs in the near future?
I appreciate the work involved but wondered if there is a timescale?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milysev wrote:
Will we be getting the French database re-invented as ZDs in the near future?
I appreciate the work involved but wondered if there is a timescale?

Hi milysev. Apart from being a verifier I have no connection with PgpsW so what I say here is pure guess work. I doubt if there is a time scale to get the French Dangerous Zones released.

The reason for this assumption is that Pocket GPS World is a relatively small company and cannot afford to get things wrong. At the moment it would appear that even the French do not know what is and what isn't legal, what is and isn't enforceable or what you can or can't get away with. If PgpsW issue you with the Dangerous Zones and you get caught, with whom does the responsibility lie?

The official French stance is that is illegal. You can have dangerous zones installed on your SatNav but the rules defining what a danger zone is are complicated. As I understand it, it is the job of every "Mayor" in every French village, town, city or province to establish the danger zones within his/her jurisdiction. A danger zone is not just where there happens to already be a camera.

Until this new law is clarified, PgpsW's decision is to withdraw the French Cameras from the main European camera download. However, if you want to download them you can. You can transfer them to your SatNav as is or you can call them whatever you like to try to throw the Gendarms off the scent. It's entirely your decision, but the decision is yours.

Sorry to all at PgpsW if I have misread the situation and spoken out of turn.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
If PgpsW issue you with the Dangerous Zones and you get caught, with whom does the responsibility lie?
My gues would be the driver and certainly nothing to do with PGPSW, who make it pretty clear what the situation is in France and other countries on the download page. And do we even know the definition of the French Dangerous Zones?
milysev
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you said the situation is very confusing. Garages in France will now sell you a gps with "cameras" installed that is perfectly legal. So they say. They think that there is a way around this silly legislation.
milysev
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>Until this new law is clarified, PgpsW's decision is to withdraw the French Cameras from the main European camera download. However, if you want to download them you can. You can transfer them to your SatNav as is or you can call them whatever you like to try to throw the Gendarms off the scent.<<

As far as I can see the french cameras are not a separate item within the database, therefore difficult to rename or disguise.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but not impossible. A similar thread is running elsewhere on this forum with a few solutions on how to isolate the French cameras.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Zone Dangereuse Reply with quote

The issue we have is that most satnav's support POIs and POI alerts, not POI Zones.

Simply renaming the French cameras as danger zones would not make them legal and, without manufacturer support for user-installed danger 'zones' we cannot offer that functionality.

We are looking at such a solution for our CamerAlert apps, but, currently, the best we can do is allow those who wish to take the risk, the option of including French data.

Currently the French law is quite clear that, even though speedcam POIs are unlawful, police have no powers to inspect your device without a warrant, unless you are under arrest.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are people who provide the information more at risk than those who use it? I have a feeling the impact of the legislation will be small. It will be an add-on charge for motorists stopped for othere reasons.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
milysev
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>Simply renaming the French cameras as danger zones would not make them legal and, without manufacturer support for user-installed danger 'zones' we cannot offer that functionality. <<

Understood, but if the french cameras were an add on file then it is up to the individual to load/rename as they wish.

Having said that I will look at the other threads.
RogerTil
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Zone Dangereuse Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

We are looking at such a solution for our CamerAlert apps, but, currently, the best we can do is allow those who wish to take the risk, the option of including French data.

Darren, this statement and similar wording on the recent newsletter imply that it should be possible to in/exclude French data on CamerAlert alredy.

However I have just updated the database on my Android phone and can't see any such option there or in the settings, nor is there an update for the app. available apparently.

Have I misunderstood your statement ? If not, how do I exclude French data ?

TIA Rgds Roger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my fault for the confusion. Database download users can choose to omit France from the download. CamerAlert app users can't as yet but they do have the option to delete the app at the port and re-install on return.

We're working on better solutions but need to get our iOS app approved first before we can look at implementing CamerAlert app changes that will benefit the entire app userbase.
RogerTil
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
That's my fault for the confusion. Database download users can choose to omit France from the download. CamerAlert app users can't as yet but they do have the option to delete the app at the port and re-install on return.

We're working on better solutions but need to get our iOS app approved first before we can look at implementing CamerAlert app changes that will benefit the entire app userbase.

OK, that's fine, just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something obvious... Smile

I'll be driving through France later this week to Nice airport and flying back to the UK where I want to use CamerAlert, but as I don't have a data connection or access to wifi until well in to my trip in the UK I'll be hiding the 'droid in my bag until I land rather than re-installing !

On another subject, I got my free lifetime subs because I submitted a bunch of average speed cameras for the motorway in Italy between Savona and Turin. I travelled this road again earlier this month and the cameras are all still there, but are not apparently in the database - any reason for that ? (The camera I mistakenly submitted this morning was one of them, but it has wrong speed etc. on it).

Rgds Roger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't handle the database updates directly so can't answer on that issue. I'll ask.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerTil wrote:
On another subject, I got my free lifetime subs because I submitted a bunch of average speed cameras for the motorway in Italy between Savona and Turin. I travelled this road again earlier this month and the cameras are all still there, but are not apparently in the database - any reason for that ? (The camera I mistakenly submitted this morning was one of them, but it has wrong speed etc. on it).

Rgds Roger

They're not all verified. A couple were verified by further user submissions in the same location so the lifetime was for those. The remaining ones are yet to be verified.

MaFt
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera warning in France Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
FrancisK wrote:
I have found a little utility for the TomTom which adds a button to the first level menu to delete any POI files that you specify (incl bmp and ogg). It has been designed specifically to help if you get stopped in France. A couple of screen taps and the files are gone.

Have given it a try and it seems to work OK. There is an option to change the button to Restore after a reboot.

PaulB2005 wrote:
No chance you'll be giving away where you might get this utility or the name of it? Wink

Thanks to FrancisK for the heads up about this.
It can now be downloaded from here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/downloads/delete_poi.zip

Please note this has not been tested by PGPSW and cannot be officially supported by them.

Have to say that this works quite well, particularly to delete POI's. Restore often needs a reboot, but less worried about this than getting them off in the first place. Now if only there was a similar app for the iphone?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: