Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Nuvi to replace my ageing 660T?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Nuvi to replace my ageing 660T?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kr72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Which Nuvi to replace my ageing 660T? Reply with quote

Want to replace my trusty 660T as the power/traffic lead is falling apart and the battery lasts 30 seconds when unplugged, so it's time for a new one. It's been a fantastic unit, works without any problems and got me out of plenty of scrapes. What I'd like feature-wise, I guess is:

Programmable routes - the one thing I don't like about mine is that you can't programme a run route for an afternoon blast in the sun

MP3 - I can probably sacrifice this as not many Garmins feature them and getting a iPod-controlling stereo makes life easier from this point of view but how loud are the modern units as my car's a bit noisy, especially with the top down?

European maps - I go abroad a fair bit in the car and having street-level is invaluable, even if it doesn't always have the nearest branch of Carrefour in deepest Belgium!

Lane assist - don't have this at present but have had a few wrong turns where motorway exits are close to each other

Quite like the look of the 3790T and as a 2-D map fan, being able to switch quickly to 3-D for towns or anything with useful terrain guides, whilst going back to 2-D for planning is handy plus it's a nice small device - is the speaker in the holder is as good as the built-in devices in other Nuvis? And how stable is it? Can I rely on it working without having a fit?

Any other features to look out for or newer devices in the pipeline?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

and select the features that matter most to you. For route planning beware that if you want to use mapsource it still doesn't work properly with the 37xx series. Also none of the modern nuvis have mp3 players, so you'll have to give that a miss.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use Garmins shop site, you'll pay full whack for anything like most manufacturers, which is a rip off considering you're buying direct from them.

Have a shop around, by all means browse the Garmin shop, but unless you find the unit you want at a price below anywhere else give it a miss.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, completely agree. I wasn't suggesting the OP buys it from Garmin ... just that it lets him compare the different features fairly painlessly Very Happy
kr72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've used the comparison feature but wanted some real-life experiences. Had a look at the 37xx in Currys earlier - apart from the same OCD-worrying smudges that my iPhone gets ;), is the screen visible on a bright day in a convertible and will the screen survive a fall from the windscreen on a journey?
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never noticed as mine sits on a Garmin bean bag mount on the cars dashboard in a car with a hard roof, no soft top or sunroof.

On the whole I've found the screen to be very clear, the only thing that lets it down badly is voice command (as I've said on numerous occasions), where it doesn't recognise certain towns properly.

Ask it for Exeter & you'll 8/10 times end up back at the start!
Folkestone - Foek s tun - gets you there.
Buxton - Burkston

Garmin really need to get these pronunciations fixed, they're an embarrassment.
longitude
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds as if you need to speak in an American accent. Confused Reminds me of a time I was in a Chinese restaraunt in New York and couldn't make the waiter understand I needed a glass of water until I spoke in a New York accent.
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
I've never noticed as mine sits on a Garmin bean bag mount on the cars dashboard in a car with a hard roof, no soft top or sunroof.

On the whole I've found the screen to be very clear, the only thing that lets it down badly is voice command (as I've said on numerous occasions), where it doesn't recognise certain towns properly.

Ask it for Exeter & you'll 8/10 times end up back at the start!
Folkestone - Foek s tun - gets you there.
Buxton - Burkston

Garmin really need to get these pronunciations fixed, they're an embarrassment.

I live in Poland, I have no idea what town or street its telling me, been impressed with my new Garmin on the whole, but this part is pretty bad, my old Tom Tom could pronounce Polish names very well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: