Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Site centered maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Site centered maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klogg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Site centered maps Reply with quote

I have been toying with getting a site centered map.

Has anyone worked a way of overlaying a sizeable and moveable square onto an on-line map so that you can see what will be included and then get the coordinates to provide to Satmap?

Also do they work out at good value rather than buying individual counties?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SatMap web site offers exactly what you are looking for in way of a configurable "box" showing your chosen area see Here

I went for a 25K self centered map for my local area which proved far cheaper than a couple of counties at 25K and gives me the map coverage I really need without having areas included that are of little use - Mike
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I brought one - I just got the ordnance survey maps out - counted the grid lines each way (adjusted the centre to suit - centre ended up slightly lower than home)

You'd have to look at the county (some are cheaper than others) and how far you are from the border - I am close to the border of two counties and can easily walk of one map so buying a 1:25k site centred was less than half price and more convenient in use than buying the both at 1:25k - but when I was in middle of a small county - that was cheaper and as convenient
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another service they offer is to consolidate all your maps on to a single card, worth considering as you can switch maps whilst out and about without having to worry about what card is loaded before you set off.

This avoids silly situations such as the time I went to the Yorkshire Dales for a walk only to find the Lake District card in the device! - Mike
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would endorse what others have said and invest in a site centred map
if it is beneficial to you personally.
From my perspective i have the Peak district map in 1:25 trouble was
that it wasnt fully available for my doorstep by under a half mile.
I decided to go for a map area and after using something akin to what Mike showed a link to and shuffling the boundaries around and looking

at costings plumped for an area that suits my walking interests.
If you are a resident who lives very near to a region map boundary then its a no brainer considering the costs involved and the possibilty of arriving to walk with the wrong map in the slot
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Definately.... Reply with quote

Definately worth doing...they have made a number of 'one offs' for me. The biggest one was based on their South Downs/New Forest area which the kids bought for me when I first invested in Sat Map. I got them to 'fill in' the missing gap between the two ares, included a big chunk of South Dorset, ie the coastal path etc., take it up to Hindhead, Surrey to include the Devils Punch Bowl, and down to include all of the coast from Portsmouth, Selsey Bill to around Brighton, including the South Downs Way. I can't tell you the precise price as I got a special before they really got their act together.
ps If I lose it, I'm stuck as I have at least 7/8 maps on board, and many others that I have built up, waiting, (maybe), to be added. (Not sure if loss/stolen would be included under the household insurance...should really check.)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: