Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin B2 problems getting gps fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin B2 problems getting gps fix
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madcow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Origin B2 problems getting gps fix Reply with quote

I drive a Citroen c3, am having problems with Origin B2, infact I am real annoyed, as been having mayor probs of late, infact in both my cars, Audi A4, it took 25 mins to get any joy, yesterday, yes the sky was cloudy, but in the end, managed to get a fix, and it was working, but the c3 a waste of time. I understand, the c3 has tinted glass, lots of metal in the front & back window's. Any ideas... as driving the c3 unprotected, without Origin b2, as sooooo disgruntled with the annoying blank screen, no satalites on the screen appearing, hence it lives in the Dash pocket, deemed useless. ta for any input. Evil or Very Mad
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Madcow,

Welcome to the forum.

I don’t know the Origin b2 that well. Is your installation permanent in both cars and you just swap a box, or do you swap the whole unit?

Can you park your car in an open area with a clear view of the sky and power the Origin b2 from one of your cars with the GPS part of the system outside? You may have to wait a few minutes for the unit to lock onto some satellites.

If this works then your unit is OK and you may have signal problems in both cars. Leaving the unit switched on, place it back in the car and drive around. Do you still have a satellite lock or have you lost them?

You may be able to temporary run once you have a satellite lock, or you may need to obtain an external antenna. Moving the GPS receiver might do the trick. Try the corner of your windscreen, or to the rear screen if you have enough cable.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
madcow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Many thanks Privateer Reply with quote

I have 2 in car kits, and 1 origin b2, that swap between 2 cars. I will try the suggestions, you have suggested many thanks, have tried the gps in front and back windows, in the C3, it seeems much better in the Audi, sometimes takes a bit of time, but gets a satalite lock, and stays locked. But the C3, is a different story, search's for satalites but no appear, even after 30 mins no luck. Have tried the front corner window, and the back window, infact tried everywhere in the windows...so as you suggested will try the gps outside of the car. Cheers

Madcow
MJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not alone - my B2 has seemed to be losing its sat lock more frequently in the last week or so.

It may be coincidence but it seems to be after I updated the database. I dont know if its a a new firmware issue.

Goes form 8 sats to nothing and then struggles to reaquire them.
V annoying.

Definitely not a weather/car issue for me.

Matt
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a B2 and I'm very satisfied with it. I may have noticed that it has been a bit longer to lock since I did an update on Sat 5th June. I'll pay more attention when I drive home this evening. I don't think there's a problem. I think it sometimes does take longer to lock on first use after an update.

Before I had the B2 I had a 2nd hand Geodyse which often took 10 to 20 minutes to lock and on a few 1-hour journeys never locked. From being in contact with someone here I came to the conclusion that there was a fault that could cause that. I relate this here just to emphasize the fact that these devices can have faults that still allow them to lock, but take more time to do so.
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've found with my B2 that if I come out of an underground car park (say) after being parked up, I never seam to get a lock until I power the unit down and back on again once outside, then it will lock on within a few seconds - 30 at most.

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to me like strange behaviour, Anglefire.
SimonB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed this sort of behaviour occasionally since owning the unit. You may notice that you loose the fix whilst driving - but its usually after you have gone over a large bump etc.

The unit slightly dislodges, still gets power - but looses its connection to the GPS antenna. Pressing the unit back on the cradle usually fixes the problem instantainiously.

As previously mentioned in another posting - Origin should be getting (or have got) stronger magnets to help with this sort of the problem.

Regarding the user who is struggling to get a fix in the Citroen etc - I recommend taking a soft pencil rubber - and cleaning the contacts on both the Origin B2 and Cradle where possible - just incase these have oxidized at all.

If you are still experiencing problems - run the GPS Antenna outside the car and utilise its magnet on the roof of the car and see if you get a fix - if not then its probably your best bet to contact Origin.

Assuming you've purchased your unit from a recommended reseller then Origin offer a 2 year warranty on the unit.
madcow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Thanks SimonB Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, the unit is not a year old yet. it seems to be working better, in the C3 & the A4, the last couple of days ; the cloud in the sky, has been low cloud. I will try the tips you have suggested. It has been, getting a sat lock, and then losing it, when drive past some tall trees; but finding again, not too long. If have anymore prob's. will contact origin. When we got the unit from new, it had a prob, with the magnet, so sent back to Origin, it was a day old, they replaced it. But wonder if they ever did replace it. The prob was not sitting in the cradle, the magnet's were the prob. Will investigate in more detail tomorrow, thanks

MadCow Thumbs Up
Paladin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoken to Origin in the last week, as my unit fails to acquire a lock on a regular basis. So much so that it appears to work only immediately following a device reset, using the "File Menu" entry rather than a straight "Update". After I power the unit down, it fails to lock again until such time as I reinitialise it, which needs a PC and B2 PSU. Seems to me to be indicative of no antenna connection, so I will call them again and maybe try to obtain some stronger magnets to see whether this cures it. Very frustrating to not have the unit working when away from home. I don't need to carry a PC with me whilst away from home and this should not be needed anyway on a device of this anticipated quality.

M. Evil or Very Mad
madcow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to here you are having problem's also Padalin. We have discovered the unit does not sit on the cradle, as it should. If you push the unit down on the cradle, holding it firmly on the cradle. It seems to get a fix and lock very prompt. But as soon as you let go, or drive over a bump, it is useless, you then lose all contact. So have spoken to origin, and have sent it back, including the cradle's. Mean while have bought a Road Angel, to tide me over, as here in Dorset Scamera are out in force.....make cheque's payable to.....Dorset Scamera partnership! NOT....
Paladin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madcow,

Thanks for the vote of sympathy. I spoke with Origin again and they asked me to return the unit for "tweaking" - their word, not mine. They asked me to NOT return the "in car" bits, so perhaps we can continue to post here on how we end up. My unit arrived with them in Fulham "Special Delivery" at 1032 on Thursday, no response to date.
I'm on the Somerset/Dorset/Wiltshire borders and, like you have invested in a "backup" device, a Road Angel 2. Apart from the fact that it arrived today and registration takes "one full day", so you cannot update the unit, I believe that this is how SCD's ought to work. Fitted to the vehicle - less than 30 seconds, switch on and initial acquisition also about 30 seconds. Two options included for mounting, so it can be set up for both family vehicles at no extra cost. Just as soon as I see it working I hope to find it at least as good as the b2. I will run them in parallel in a couple of weeks, when we next plan a long journey, but, like you, we seem to see a lot of "stuff" in our area and, despite being a little past my "sell by" date :D and try to keep WELL within the limits, there is a particular 3 mile section of the A357 close to us where the speed limits change ***7*** times over the 3 miles, varying from national through 40 to 30 and back up and down where it seems obvious that there will soon be further action. The people who recommended this set up are surely not drivers - it's pathetic. Exclamation

Regards,

Maurice.
madcow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any joy yet Padalin. Yes these new speeds limit's popping up everywhere. There is a road that the speed limit 30-40 30-40 etc, then NTL in somerset, 3 miles long. Not a black spot area, no street light's not many house's, as you say Pathetic. Spend more time with eyes off road, glancing at speedo. I drive a scooter sometimes;, and find this very dangerous, looking at speedo constant. I dont drive like a nutter, never had an accicent in 25 yrs of driving. What is happening to the british driver, being branded easy Cash machines...Please keep in touch, re B2. I have to speak to Origin again, as after sending the unit and cradles back. Had the cradles replaced, the unit tested. Still having to fiddle with the unit, every 2 mins, as it will not keep a fix, very annoying, causing lots of hassle, Very pleased with Road Angel.The features of B2 are really good, but if only I could get the blasted thing to work.............
Paladin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MC,

Got my b2 returned on Wednesday and -------- Sad no change.
Phoned again yesterday and got to speak with their Technical Manager - a *very* helpful gentleman - thank you David. A new cradle arrived today and ------- :D worked first time, loose on the dash.
Pulled the old cradle out and connected up to that one again, just loose on the dashboard and ------- Confused it works - sometimes - found a dry joint inside the cradle on the connector (well, I have got a new spare now - just in case) and it appears to work if you ensure good seating.
Well, after that, went indoors and got a *tiny* set square and found that the mounting point was *very very* slightly off of "flat". I'm now wondering whether the flexibility of the plastic mount is what's giving grief - that adhesive pad is **STRONG**.
The "curve" was almost non existent but I am going to try a different mounting point after first checking for "flat or square" and try *very* carefully to mount it a little "better". Might even try a couple of "external grade" double sided sticky pads (Halfords) to see if I can keep the mount from distorting, which I think was my problem. The sticky pad from origin is a darned good fit in the recess of the cradle, but perhaps a little more "clearance" may help.

Also purchased a cable to use the NMEA data from the RA2 - Holux - just worked "out of the bag". The PS2 connector "sheath" could use shaving back a bit for a more positive insertion into the PS2 socket - it *can* work loose with vibration - and I have a 2 litre *very* comfy (almost vibration free) saloon - being in my 60's I want comfort as well as speed. This setup precludes the need to carry a wired or BT Rx for my 2210 and is probably the best all round (easy) solution to have with a H/W Safety Camera setup on board, but I still prefer the b2 size/looks/features. I reckon a new cradle will be their ultimate solution, as they have their Blue i product to follow - and will surely need to get NMEA output available to users.
If they solve this b2 cradle thing and give us NMEA output for TTNav then I reckon they are on to a sure fire winner, because when it *does* function correctly, it's a superb piece of kit. I am off to install a new PC for my grandaughter tomorrow - about a 100 mile round trip and wish I could put them side by side for comparison, but it's simply "hissing down" out there and I'm not going to rush the next installation.
We are off to see my dad 8O in two weeks and hope to try this comparison then - it's just over 300 miles round trip.

OK M8, that's the update done, please keep in touch here with any further issues, I'll keep you posted on what happens next/soon.

Take Care and Regards,

Maurice. Thumbs Up
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin,

The origin B2 does provide a NMEA output. Origin don't seem to have the cable for sale yet......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: