Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - memory card music in a go 940
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

memory card music in a go 940

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: memory card music in a go 940 Reply with quote

hi guys,

dont know if this is a bit off topic, so here go's anyway !

i have a 8gb micro card for my go940, i have put 5 mp3 albums onto the
card, and put it into my device. i have had a look everywhere in the music player, and i cannot find them to play them, where will i find them ?

also i have a double din unit in my car, running igo8 with wince6, would the speed cameras and the pois off my 940 work with igo8 ?

thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the mp3 tracks you need to create a folder on the memory card named "mp3" (without the "") then chuck all your music in to this folder, the device will pick it up and make the tracks available when you next switch it on.

As for IGo you need to download a different set of data which is available from the speed camera download page, the database supports lots of different data formats but you can't use a TomTom data type in IGo software - Mike
blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
For the mp3 tracks you need to create a folder on the memory card named "mp3" (without the "") then chuck all your music in to this folder, the device will pick it up and make the tracks available when you next switch it on.

yeah thanks for that, all done and playing, the only thing is, some of the cd tracks are not playing in the right order, eg, track 1, then 10,11,12,13,14 then 2, 3, 4 etc, etc ???

Also, if there are 2 albums with 2 cds, the cds will be listed separately first, then the albums, how can i make it easier to select the album i want to listen to, rather then scroll through all the separate cds first ?

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom doesn't usually use the file names or folder names to sort the music.
Everything is done using "ID3 Tags" metadata which is buried in the mp3 file. This is exactly the same as how iTunes does it.

However, if the data is missing it resorts to using the file names, and that's when it can all go horribly wrong, especially if there's SOME ID3 data but it's not right.

The reason the tracks are playing in the wrong order is probably this...
It sounds like your files are named like this:

1-some song
2 -another song
upto
10-yet another song
11-a final song

...And so (just the same as windows does), the TomTom arranges them 'alphabetically' with 1,10,11 etc. before 2. Annoying!

So the simplest solution is to rename all your tracks with a zero at the front of the low numbers like this:

01-some song
02 -another song
upto
10-yet another song
11-a final song

Then they will appear in the right order.

But to fix ALL the potential problems, you are much better off getting the ID3 tags right.
The metadata tags give artist name, track name, album name, album artist, track number, cd number (for a multi-CD project), the musical style/genre, and a few other items.

They SHOULD all be created properly, but depending on how you made or got hold of your mp3s they could be incomplete, wrong or missing entirely.

iTunes includes a good tag editor, just right click on a song and select "Get info" from the context menu, or if you don't like iTunes there are plenty of stand-alone ID tag editors on the web.

Here's what they look like in iTunes for a typical "Green Day" song.
You can just rewrite any of the fields and it automatically resaves it into the mp3 file.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed your second question....

There is a camera database download for the iGo so it should be possible.

The file is formatted as simple text (with a .txt extension to the name) so you might also be able to put POIs on as well, I don't know the iGo system at all....

The Garmin .csv format is actually just text, but all the commas and spaces etc. need to be in exactly the right places, so if you can find out if the unit takes POI files it should be possible to convert your TomTom POI files to csv and/or .txt using something like POIEdit (Google it to find a download site)
lyskamm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
iTunes includes a good tag editor

Another good (and free) tag editor is MP3tag that might be better suitable if you have to edit a lot of tags ;)

It's quite good for bulk editing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: