Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Testing CamerAlert with Navigon android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Testing CamerAlert with Navigon android
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter135
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Testing CamerAlert with Navigon android Reply with quote

I have just installed the Navigon software onto my HTC Desire and with the new Cameralert software in the background. I thought I would test it on a journey from Farnborough to Eastbourne (77miles).
When running the Navigon software the camerAlert visual messages are only on screen for a couple of seconds at the start of the alert. If you are going through a long stretch of road where a moble camera has been reported, you have no idea where the camera is and no red warning countdown. If you are running CamerAlert in the foreground then you see the red alert on screen all the time and your speed changes to red if you are over the limit. This function is missing when using a map to navigate. With the Navigon maps off coming back from Eastbourne, I came across a section of the A27 around the new Brighton football ground where I had to 3 red alerts up at the same time, all set to different speeds. Also one of the M25 gantry cameras just before the A3 was logged as variable gatso 40 when in fact it was switched off.
In conclusion the camerAlert is excellent app on its own. With the Navigon maps the red warning speed messages are too brief
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also one of the M25 gantry cameras just before the A3 was logged as variable gatso 40 when in fact it was switched off.

What do you mean by "switched off"?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you may want to use the "over speed warning" feature. It will keep warning you with audio and a popup if your approach speed to a camera (zone) is too high.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
peter135
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
Also one of the M25 gantry cameras just before the A3 was logged as variable gatso 40 when in fact it was switched off.

What do you mean by "switched off"?

I assume the warning was for a gantry variable speed camera which out of rush hour is normally inactive. so the normal 70mph applies.
peter135
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Also, you may want to use the "over speed warning" feature. It will keep warning you with audio and a popup if your approach speed to a camera (zone) is too high.

Thanks I will try that.
peter135
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter135 wrote:
lbendlin wrote:

Thanks I will try that.

I tried the "over speed warning feature" and it solved all my concerns about lack of warning when in a camera zone. The large icon and sound warning is an excellent feature. Well done for a brilliant android app.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing CamerAlert with Navigon android Reply with quote

peter135 wrote:

We can only warn you of the existence of a variable speed camera, we have no way of knowing if the variable speed zone is in operation and we do not give a speed for the same reason. Are you sure it was reported as 40?
Quote:
In conclusion the camerAlert is excellent app on its own. With the Navigon maps the red warning speed messages are too brief

We are limited with the on-screen alerts when the app is in the background by the limitations of Android.

We would love to offer more, but that is not an option available to us.
peter135
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing CamerAlert with Navigon android Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
peter135 wrote:

We can only warn you of the existence of a variable speed camera, we have no way of knowing if the variable speed zone is in operation and we do not give a speed for the same reason. Are you sure it was reported as 40?
Quote:

We are limited with the on-screen alerts when the app is in the background by the limitations of Android.

We would love to offer more, but that is not an option available to us.

I was driving at about 60mph when the gatso 40 warning briefly appeared. All the speed indicators on the app turned red until I had passed the camera gantry. It might well have been a camera from a local parallel road triggering the alert.

It has already been pointed out to me, the "over limit" settings in the menu will continue to issue alerts after the first speed warning. I will in future leave this feature on when running with a foreground map.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
variable gatso 40

No such category!! Either it is variable or it's unknown or it has a speed associated (i.e. 40 mph). It can't be a variable 40.... As you say must have been on a parallel road.

Also as mentioned above you'll see all the cameras in that section have no speed limit associated as there is no way of knowing when the variable speed limit is in use and what speed is being enforced - rush hour is not the only time. Bad weather, roadworks and accidents can mean it being on outside of rush hour. Finally each lane can have it's own speed limit if required especially when merging traffic lanes due to closures ahead so again you can't predict what speed limit will be used. Therefore it alerts at each camera regardless of your speed. However it is limited to the gatries that are "live" and it's up to your to see what the current speed limit is for your lane.
peter135
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:

The Navigon maps (30 day trial) have a local speed limit icon which I find very useful. This feature enables me to quickly identify the false alerts issued by the CamerAlert app. Is it possible to include this feature in the stand alone CamerAlert app, as it is a very good reminder of the current speed limit while driving when not using maps. Using this database it would then be possible to compare the camera zone speed warnings against the camera alerts. This would eliminate the majority of the false alerts I have experienced in the last couple of days.
Have you any recommendations from your feedback, with regards to setting up the menus in the CamerAlert?
Do you think you need separate warning settings for mobile laser cameras than fixed Gatso cameras?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter135 wrote:
The Navigon maps (30 day trial) have a local speed limit icon which I find very useful. This feature enables me to quickly identify the false alerts issued by the CamerAlert app. Is it possible to include this feature in the stand alone CamerAlert app

No. That data is in the map.
Quote:
This would eliminate the majority of the false alerts I have experienced in the last couple of days.

They aren't false alerts per se, they are alerts for camera near you. CamerAlert has no knowledge of what road you are on, only your compass direction. If the cone of detection captures a camera ahead, you get warned.

This is no different to any other speed camera detector, even commercial ones costing a few hundred quid.
Quote:
Have you any recommendations from your feedback, with regards to setting up the menus in the CamerAlert?

The detection angles are set at what we deem the optimum setting. You can experiment with them to narrow the detection angle but at the risk of reducing the warning time.
Quote:
Do you think you need separate warning settings for mobile laser cameras than fixed Gatso cameras?

That is under consideration.
peter135
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using camerAlert on its own and with Navigon for the last few weeks.
The problem with running camerAlert in the background using third party maps, is the restricted warning time the driver is given to mobile cameras.

Mobile Laser Cameras.
On a straight road your speed can be “clocked” by one of these mobile devices more than ˝ a mile away. With gatso cameras, a couple of hundred yards warning is all you need. This is clearly not enough warning when you are looking straight down the barrel of a laser.
Please can you consider in future updates, the following:-
The initial red banner visual warning is repeated, to allow time to read distance to mobile camera.
Addition Pre-warning setting for mobile cameras, that only alerts you when a mobile cameras is directly ahead of you.
peter135
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last couple of months, I have been using Navigon with camerAlert running in the background. On Monday I upgrade to the new version of CamerAlert. This morning I noticed that when I am in CamerAlert and wish to return to the Navigon app, pressing the back button cancels the camerAlert app.
To keep CamerAlert in the background, I need to go from CamerAlert via the HTC Desire main screen and reload the Navigon app again.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or hold down the menu button to bring up the recently used apps list - and then select Navigon.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're looking into that issue. Might be device and/or OS version specific. What is your combination?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: