Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Map Downloads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Map Downloads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyhotspur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: New Map Downloads Reply with quote

I have a Tomtom XL1 Europe which is about three years old, I did not realise that in order to get the latest maps you had to pay for them.

Is there any other way to get maps other than having to pay Tomtom their high prices?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other way is illegal as far as our site is concerned.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just this forum....

You're actually only paying for a licence to use the maps, according to whatever conditions the manufacturer decides to impose (single user, on one device etc.)

All the major manufacturers have similar map prices for upgrades, although you can often find that a map "subscription" deal works out a lot cheaper then buying the same number of updates individually.

However, unless you are having SPECIFIC issues with map accuracy in areas you drive, then I would suggest that a brand-new map may not be THAT different from the three-year old one you have now.
happyhotspur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks for that. I wasn't asking about getting maps illegally for free but wasn't sure if other companies supplied maps that would work on the tomtom.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Fraid not. TomTom take the raw map data from TeleAtlas and then have to convert it into their own format in some secret way....

I think there are other brands that can use open-source maps now. Others will know more than me about those.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My expriaence ist hat Open source maps are not yet as good as commercial - they do the job, provided you are in a reasonably populated area.
Software for Open Spurce maps is becoming avalible - GPS MID is a Java based open source app that I have used is not too bad and runs on phones as well as other devices.

If you want free maps and updates, best option is a phone and online mapping services. Some are free, but you need big and cheap data plans. All depends how much you use your sat nav - once a month, online, once a day- off line and buy map updates

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: