Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Halfords customer service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Halfords customer service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypnotiser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Halfords customer service Reply with quote

Hi all,

Last week I bought a TT LX Live from Halfords in Doncaster which stopped working when I updated it in TT Home. Halfords replaced it without question with another unit, unfortunately this one was faulty too. Again Halfords replaced it on the spot and told me that if I have any more trouble they would happily refund my money. fantastic service from a great shop.

Jon
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's your right under the SoGs Act. Not so much customer service as complying with the law. Not that they always do mind you (that's retailers in general, not Halfords specifically).
Hypnotiser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once returned a faulty TT to Dixons and they were really unhelpfull. They just wanted to return it to TT. Not intrested at all.

Jon
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting area this - I had a bit of hassle with Halfords when they maintained that my satnav's fault was a software one and therefore was the manufacturer's responsibility. I didn't agree, and they did change it after a bit of a discussion.

But, if the unit itself is NOT faulty initially (neither software nor hardware), but a manufacturer THEN 'bricks' it with their own update - I wonder if that IS strictly down to the retailer - I would have thought it wasn't (but legalese can make all things possible).

Very interested in any views!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter if the fault is hardware or software. The Sale of Goods Act is states that responsibility for warranty issues lies with the retailer.

The grey area is when a product passes from new to used and hence from replacement to repair.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk your scenario of a software update causing a problem with the device would I am almost certain absolve the vendor from any responsibility for for a fault caused by the update, but nothing else.

It would be the same as installing some non-functioning or faulty software to a computer device, the problems arise if trying to get a navigation device changed or a computer changed or repaired in proving that its not a fault caused by you the user, adding an update or faulty software.

In almost all cases I am sure the vendor would point the finger of responsibility at you the user after all it was working OK until you did this or that Sir/Madam.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
BigPerk your scenario of a software update causing a problem with the device would I am almost certain absolve the vendor from any responsibility for for a fault caused by the update, but nothing else.

If you did something untoward to the unit then it's your own fault but if you just plugged it into your computer, TomTom offered an update and that update failed and bricked the unit for no apparent reason then it's up to the retailer to fix the problem.

Really, why should you even admit to the retailer that you did the software update? "Hi, I brought this an now it doesn't work any more", end of discussion - don't give them any wriggle room.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Skippy
Quote:
Really, why should you even admit to the retailer that you did the software update? "Hi, I brought this an now it doesn't work any more", end of discussion - don't give them any wriggle room.
as it's precisely how I've dealt with it in the past with a Gramin unit. I was just interested, given the discussion in this thread, on what the actual position might be where you have bought a perfectly good device from a retailer and then install an update directly from a different supplier (Tom Tom, Garmin, Navigon, ...) which itself causes the problem, AND IS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RETAILER'S ORIGINAL SALE. It just seems to stretch retailer liability a bit far.

But as I say it was really only out of interest in other people's ideas, and thank for them. I, like Skippy, would always go back to the retailer in the first place.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The retailer does not suffer a loss, just ships a faulty unit back to TT for a refund. So TT takes the hit as is correct. If the retailer just doesn't want the bother, that's too bad, they have no way out.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: