Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Firmware upgrade fro Xtrac v2???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Firmware upgrade fro Xtrac v2???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Man&Dog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reflashing Fortuna ClipOn Reply with quote

Tim
Since my last post I received a new way of reflashing ClipOn.
You have to remove the battery and then using a paper clip short two sockets below the battery contacts. The two sockets are the second in from each end. You then power the ClipOn from your charger and then follow the normal reflashing method as downloaded from the Fortuna web site. Make sure you insulate the battery contacts first.

Received following from Fortuna when I asked WHY!

'The reason why we need to make a bypass is because it seems the flash memory has some kind of block due to the fail of reflashing. The jumper foreced the flash memory to clear out all the memory and rewrite again. You can think this as a hardware reset for the flash memory'.

Paul Fang
Fortuna Electronic Corp.

I have not carried out this method because I was concerned by Forest Ranger post on gpspassion.com web site. ie v2 not as good as v1!
Man&Dog
TimHester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Firmware Reply with quote

This morning I decided to give it one more try. I left the battery out over night. Instead of the time out message I ended up getting the fail message. Now when I try to use the XT mode with my HP 4155 I can't maintain a bluetooth connection or lock on to any satellites. When I try to run the firmware update the "link to fortuna" box will not light up and all I get is a fail message if I proceed without this step. The ST mode seems to still work fine but it looks like the XT mode is totally . I tried the jumper mehtod Man&Dog suggested but it made no difference. For the record, I have the Belkin version of the clip-on.
iclick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to report that I successfully flashed to v2 on my Belkin variant, almost without a hitch. The only problem was originally getting the device connected to the dongle I had received just yesterday. After making that connection and setting the right COM port, it flashed without a hitch.

Frankly, I find this Bluetooth protocol a major PITA, and not at all user friendly. I can connect repeatedly to one device fine as long as I don't switch to the other; e.g. move from PC to PDA or vice versa. I have the Intellinav SW on both, so I can theoretically use either if I desire.

If I move from the PDA (h2215) to the PC dongle it will never connect in a conventional manner. I must first click on "Find Bluetooth Device," right-click on the Belkin icon and select "Unpair device," then "Pair device," enter the PIN code when prompted, then "Connect." Doing this it works every time, but this is the only way to get it to connect.

Going from the PC to the PDA is a bit different, but simpler. I must first switch off the GPS, then I can enter the nav SW as per usual, but it will ask for the PIN number after clicking on the Belkin BT icon to connect. Other than this it connects as per usual.

Does anyone know what's going on here? I've been told this is typical BT behavior, but I'd like to know why it requires such rigmarole and asks for the PIN code to be entered every time the source (PC or PDA) is changed.
iclick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: One more thing... Reply with quote

I failed to mention that Xtrack v2 is superior to v1.1. I not only have no more lag at high speeds, but sensitivity is higher. Today I locked in on 9/9 satellites inside the car, not on the dashboard, which is a first. I typically lock in on at least six at any time inside the house. It works like a charm and I'm sure I'll never switch it to ST mode again.

I think the forest ranger has a problem not related to the new Xtrack version, as it is a clear winner on this Belkin variant of the Fortuna Clip-on.
geoff2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just flashed my Fortuna ClipOn to V2 with no problems. I put the update on a floppy and the procedure worked as per the instructions. I also found that the sensitivity to be greater , 9 satellites indoors!, or perhaps it's due to the better weather
rich33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Only just fell upon this firmware upgrade post, so I just had a look on the Fortuna site and I can't seem to be able to download the files - it mentions something about 'contacting your local reseller for details'.

Not sure if I missed the boat on this, any ideas?

Cheers in advance

Rich
Ipaq 4150 - Fortuna Clip On BT - Lexar 256mb SD Card / Kingston 256mb SD Card - TomTom Nav 3.05T - Traffic - CheckPOInt 2.0.2.0 - Mapopolis - Memory Map 2004 UK - Brodit Mount - & BT Registry Fix (recommended!)
Man&Dog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim

Received this from Fortuna this morning:-
'
The upgrade through using bypass has a important step that must be followed and that is the unit must remain powered "OFF" before you have make the bypass first. Otherwise it will not change the mode to the reflashing mode.

The reason we took the upgrade off of our site was because we were only releasing the Beta version and the final version will be released through our dealers.'

I still have not tried it and will wait for the final version.

Man&Dog
iclick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Beta? Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting--as I didn't know it was a beta. Well, I'm sure that if anyone is interested, one of us who has already upgraded would be more than happy to provide the necessary files to interested users. I could put them on my FTP site. Would that be a copyright infringement?
TimHester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Firmware Reply with quote

I had the clip-on turned off when I tried the jumper procedure. This was after I had gotten the fail message when trying to flash. I thought the fail message was an improvement over the time out message but I was wrong. Since the fail message I can't get the upgrade to proceed to the establish link step of the upgrade. My clip on shows bluetooth activity via a flashing blue light. My bluetooth places shows a connection. The clip-on doesn't have any output in the XT mode and will not comunicate other than pairing with my computer. I triied the Crux and other GPS monitoring programs and they show no output from the clip-on in the XT mode. Since I never used the XT mode I won't miss it, but I would liked to have tried it.
rich33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iclick

Would be interested in you supplying the upgrade and instructions. Cheers

It seems that reading through all the posts on this topic there have been a number of people who have had difficulties in this upgrade, is there 'one' straight forward method, with at least a 100% success rate?

Thanks

Rich
Ipaq 4150 - Fortuna Clip On BT - Lexar 256mb SD Card / Kingston 256mb SD Card - TomTom Nav 3.05T - Traffic - CheckPOInt 2.0.2.0 - Mapopolis - Memory Map 2004 UK - Brodit Mount - & BT Registry Fix (recommended!)
Trustno12003
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I bought a Fortuna Clipon yesterday in a Computer Store in Spain. I sent a e-mail to fortuna support and they've answered me this:

Dear -------,

We will realease our final Clip-On upgrade program to our dealer soon. Please check with your dealer.

Best regards,

So it seem we won't be able to download the firmware upgrade from the web. I hope I won't have problems to find the distributor to whom the computer store bought the GPS.

Regards
dhettel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One little problem I have discovered is that when you click on the X on the ClipOnSyncBT it does NOT close, on Windows XP. So if you believe it is closed it may not be. You'll need to press CTRL ALT DEL to check and see if it is truly ended. Otherwise you can have two or three versions of it running!

Note If after clicking on the Comm port off -> on and you do not get prompted to Link to Fortuna GPS chances are you have a hidden program running in the back ground!

Their is a icon that display when the program is minimized, but when you press "X" it just disappears! And it is running in the background.
iclick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Fortuna clip-on flash software Reply with quote

rich33 wrote:
Would be interested in you supplying the upgrade and instructions. Cheers

It seems that reading through all the posts on this topic there have been a number of people who have had difficulties in this upgrade, is there 'one' straight forward method, with at least a 100% success rate?

Rich, I have the software and PDF in one ZIP file and would glad to email it to anyone interested. It's as is from Fortuna and I claim no liability for its use.

I did collect some procedural quotes from this thread and others, including some from another forum, but despite my diligence for backups I deleted it and it is history. I could try to compile again, however, and will. I basically followed one such procedural list and it worked for me, albeit with one delay when I failed to link properly at first. The procedure is arcane, but by following the steps I think most will succeed without any major hurdles. Put you brave suit on, however, and make sure you don't skip your coffee fix before starting.
Whitebeam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update is still available from the Fortuna site, they've just deleted the link from the support page.

Go to : http://fortuna.com.tw/download/
Whitebeam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated my MK1 clip-on. Quite an improvement, currently seeing 7 sats 4mtrs inside my room where it used to struggle to get lock (Xtrac).

Also, my sat LED turns green again! It had always been red for months although working OK.

I'll reserve final judgement until I've used it 'in the field' but it looks like a definite improvement. Thanks Fortuna for supporting this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: