Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IGO8 - setting average speeds for different road types?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IGO8 - setting average speeds for different road types?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: IGO8 - setting average speeds for different road types? Reply with quote

I have just started using IGO8, which seems reasonably good, however there seems to be nowhere to set average speeds for different road types.

Yesterday, I did a cross country route, which took me an hour to get there without sat nav, used IGO8 and despite having the route type as "fast" still took me down numerous single track country roads, when there was a good "A" road nearby, this took me about 1 1/4 hours and an additional 6 miles.

I am sure if there was some way to tell it "minor" roads average speed 25 mph for example would then force it onto faster roads.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which are the two points you travelled between, I can check it on mine to see what route I get.

Also check the speed limits on your route, you can check by doing a 'simulation' of the route, remember National Speed limit roads are 60 (for a car) wheras A roads can be 50 or even 40, in which case it could take you via the faster, 60, roads.

I often find 'Economical' setting comes up with a more logical route.

From memory 30 mph roads route at 16mph and 70mph roads as 64. I can't remember teh others but once I have your route I can double check for you.
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was snetterton circuit (NR16 2JU) to Colchester, however just to complicate things, I had cut back to South Lopham (junction B1113 / A1066) from there I would have just followed the A1066 to diss, then A140, however IGO8 sent me on the B1113 more or less directly south to join the A14, looking on the map, it would seem to be the "short" route.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NR16 2JU to Colchester (City Centre)

Up onto the A11 - A1075 - A1066 -A1088 -A143 -A1088 - A14 - A12 -A1232

via South Lopham (junction B1113 / A1066)

Down unnamed road to Quidenham - bypassing Kenninghall on to B1113 - A1066 - B1077 - A143 - A140 - A14 - A12 - A1232

Quote:
I would have just followed the A1066 to diss
It does that when using Eco mode. Very Happy 5 miles shorter but 48 seconds longer.

As you have just got it you maybe not have found this yet. After you have chosen destination, on the next screen choose More Options then Routing methods, there you will see the distances and time for FAST, SHORT, ECO and EASY.

Fastest and shortest are self explanatory.
Economical looks for a route which may take slightly longer than fastest but may save several miles. Most of the time this is a good choice.
Easy chooses a route with the least number of turns.

Personally I use Fast or Eco according to what appears on the Route Alternatives screen.

Having said that, sometimes when e.g. in Wales on holiday and want a leisurely drive taking in some scenery, I have used Shortest and found places I never knew existed.
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From South Lopham, it took us to the A143 then right, and left onto single lane roads certainly not back to A140. I will check when in the car, maybe I turned right instead of left onto the A143, and it then rerouted down single lane roads.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
maybe I turned right instead of left onto the A143, and it then rerouted down single lane roads.
In that case go to Settings - Route Planning - Options and switch on U-Turns. You can adjust but I've found the default settings, from top to bottom are 1700yds - 1.96 miles, 1.96 miles and 1 sec, seem to do the job.

In the case above, if you did turn right and it couldn't have got you back on route within the 1700 yds it would have told you to do a u-turn.
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't seem to have the option for "u-turns"
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look HERE download and try one of his Skins for your version.

You'll see a list of enhancements over the standard iGO8.

Copy the unzipped Skin file into iGO8/Content/Skin folder, start iGO then Settings - go to page 2 - Menu - Skin and select skin.
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just downloaded new skin, thanks "u turns" now show, along with several other enhancements.

Thanks again for your help.
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed on a trip yesterday, on dual carriageways, it seems to be using an average speed of about 75mph, which means about 80 on the speedo, as an average, so I would need to drive far faster to achieve it, surely there must be some way of changing the average sppeds? every other sat nav program seems to be able to, and with IGO being so customisable it must be possible?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the speeds are embedded in the programme, for M ways and 70mph dual carriageways iGO appears to use an average of 64 mph for ETA.

The new iGO PRIMO with Navteq maps has, apparently, built in 'actual' average speeds which is monitored, when you log into Nav'n'Go, and updates the roads according to usage. There are also a number of pre-defined routes which are chosen for 'Fast' 'Eco' etc. From what I've read, and understand, Teleatlas maps have similar. I'm sure I read somewhere that PRIMO also takes into account your driving pattern and if e.g. you are a slower driver, this will be taken into account for ETA.

I can't find anywhere in the UK selling Primo, when it does come here I'll be very interested.
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Primo is only for resale as oe software, so I don't think it will be avaliable "legally" retail.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a little feeling that I have seen speed settings for different roads in the SYS.TXT file somewhere, but I could be wrong. Unfortunately, I can't find it again readily, but I will have another good look when time permits, so don't hold your breath.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: