Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Very happy with Active10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Very happy with Active10
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed_crouch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Very happy with Active10 Reply with quote

Hi all. New on the forum.

Just thought I should give some honest feedback in the midst of a lot of criticism of Satmap Systems.

For prospective customers, the A10 is a marvellous bit of kit, and frankly I dont understand why people knock it.

Yep, it has idiosyncrasies, but they are being addressed.

Its accurate. I've had estimated 9 foot accuracy on a number of occasions, and have had it tracking 12 satellites with a clear view of the sky. Even under dense tree cover, its better than 30 feet. If you need better than 30 foot accuracy, I would argue that you might struggle to see as far as the screen anyway.

The onboard planning is really good. Drag'n'drop route planning.

PC interface. Well, it works, and is good so far as it goes. Never seen it not work. Could do with a PC based planning app to save me buying the maps twice (one for A10 and another for memory map...) I believe theres one on the way...

Battery life: well, its a big backlit screen with a very sensitive receiver - its gonna eat batteries: thats life! I've got the Li-Po battery and it lasts forever. Estimate 9 hours even with the screen on all the time.

OK, 2 problems:

I too experience the problem with it ceasing to update GPS position, I run firmware 1.2. A warm restart fixes it. Takes 2 minutes. Yeh, not great, but not a disaster, and theres a fix on the way.

Sometimes when nearing the end of a loop, the OS 1:50K maps on the SDcard stop paging in properly, and I ride off the edge of the coverage. Basically the paging algorithm has some kind of problem pagin in the required map tile. Again, can be a little annoying, but the route overlay remains so you can still follow it. I will call Satmap and report this one.

I use it for navigating round new routes on Mountain bike. The mountain bike mount is VERY sturdy, and it doesnt slip at all, and I have used it on some rough descents.

There is a temptation to believe that these gadgets will save the world and mean that none of us will ever have to work again. The Active 10 wont save the world, but neither will any of Garmin's offerings.

The Active10 is a really good bit of kit, and has enabled the wife and myself to ride lots of new MTB routes without stopping every 2 minutes to review a paper map. Yep, couple of niggles, but then my Garmin Streetpilot in-car SatNav is a bit flaky sometimes...

I'd give it 9 out of 10 on account of the niggles. It'd be 10 otherwise.

I should add that I am not associated with Satmap, just a happy customer.

Ed.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, for an online map/ route planner have a look at This web page, it is easy to use and works with the SatSync software, a very good alternate to use until the official SatMap online planner is released - Mike - Mike
Westlothian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased with the A10 too.
For PC tools the http://maps.live.com/ and http://wheresthepath.googlepages.com/wheresthepath.htm
are both free and I have found them both compatible with the A10.
The eventual Route Planner appearance may be good but the
satelite and aerial photography is very helpful for fixing routes and
reviewing walks.
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think I have read about every post in this forum and to be fair the vast majority of people who have purchased the Satmap appear to be very happy with the device.

The main complaint appears to be that the company are pretty poor at communication. Those people who have required support from Satmap appear to have received very good service provided they telephone the company for help and assistance.

The Satmap website is always out of date and contains very little useful information. Getting them to answer emails is also difficult.

I haven't purchased the Satmap YET but the above is my reading on the situation. -
ianr93
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm new to the forum and I am looking at the Activ 10 for cycling use.

It is mainly long distance routes, ie Lands End to JOG.

I know you can get a bike mount but just wondered if any of you users out there have any opinions on its use for cycling.

It seems pretty good to me looking at the Satmap website and I know someone who has Garmin 605 but he is not that happy with it.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

We have a SatMap mount ( £25 ) fixed to the tandem and it is rock solid I can't see it moving about at all.We haven't actually used it yet but from other peoples comments on various sites I can't see much of a problem.Must be better for cycle use than the Garmin 60CS,just couldn't get used to it on the bike and the TOPO UK mapping is rubbish.

For LeJog you will probably need the 1:50000 UK map for all of the UK and that should see you from one end to the other ( round about £180-£200 depending on where you shop ).

The only "problem" will be batteries,if you are camping then there will be the problem of charging the SatMap rechargeable battery each night ( extra at about £45 or so although there are some inclusive deals available ) ,B&B of course,no problem.If using Energiser Lithium then it will be an expensive do at round about £4 or so for four ( the SatMap takes three ).I imagine you would want a fresh set each day.You could of course swap between the Li-Pol and the Energisers but this involves removing the Li-Pol and reinserting the battery carrier and the plug is a bit fragile for continuous use.

You could of course try a solar charger but I will leave that to someone who has perhaps used one with the SatMap.

Ian
ianr93
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Bosun.

It seems the best choice so far from what I have heard.

We are doing B & B so will probably go for the rechargeable.
Jaz3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Satmap Reply with quote

The overall impression I get, like you, is that this is a super product. BUT - (and unfortunately this is why I won't be purchasing) they have shot themselves in the foot by not allowing you to use existing digital OS mapping such as Memory Map. If it is the fault of OS, well, I've already puchased a license to use OS mapping (UK 1:50,000) via Memory Map (not to mention countless paper copies!), so why should I pay for it all over again, just for the privilege of using it in a different file format? This is clearly nonsensical. Has anyone tried an online petition to HM Government?
ed_crouch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, thats the rub.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap Reply with quote

Jaz3 wrote:
The overall impression I get, like you, is that this is a super product. BUT - (and unfortunately this is why I won't be purchasing) they have shot themselves in the foot by not allowing you to use existing digital OS mapping such as Memory Map. If it is the fault of OS, well, I've already puchased a license to use OS mapping (UK 1:50,000) via Memory Map (not to mention countless paper copies!), so why should I pay for it all over again, just for the privilege of using it in a different file format? This is clearly nonsensical. Has anyone tried an online petition to HM Government?

Why would Memory Map allow their stuff....which let's face it isn't their stuff either....on a competitor's unit that is far better than their own?
This is the way of the digital world....you pay over and over again for stuff you already own but in a deliberately tweaked format....just like iTunes stuff....I'd never buy stuff from there as I wouldn't be wanting to be tied to an iPod for the rest of my days....I buy a cd and rip it to the formate required.

With the mapping, I already owned Memory Map South GB since 2003 but bought the Satmap's version as well because the product and what it allows me to do with my rides is just so good......an no I'm not made of money either.
goon525
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, Memory Map aren't exactly competitors in the sense that they don't make hardware. They may currently have a deal to partner their software with Road Angel, but it's a one-off and not quite the same thing. Doubtless SatMap could do a deal with them (just as someone is currently offering a SatMap/Quo deal) but it may not be in either company's commercial interest.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it is the fault of OS, well, I've already puchased a license to use OS mapping (UK 1:50,000) via Memory Map (not to mention countless paper copies!), so why should I pay for it all over again, just for the privilege of using it in a different file format?

I quite agree that it is the greedy OS licensing system which inflates the price of digital mapping especially as we have already contributed to the OS via our taxes.They know they produce probably the best mapping in the world and if we want to use it we are going to have to dance to their tune.

I read recently that when the government eventually turns the screw to claw back its debts that the OS in line to be sold off.I can't see a private firm being any more benevolent as regards pricing.

I seem to recall,perhaps on this forum,that originally SatMap wantd to go into partnership with Memory Map but couldn't agree terms.

Quote:
this is a super product. BUT - (and unfortunately this is why I won't be purchasing) they have shot themselves in the foot by not allowing you to use existing digital OS mapping such as Memory Map.

Unfortunately whichever GPS system you buy into which uses OS mapping you are going to have to pay.SatMap is not on its own.

Ian
johnjackson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianr93 wrote:
Hi I'm new to the forum and I am looking at the Activ 10 for cycling use.
It is mainly long distance routes, ie Lands End to JOG.
I know you can get a bike mount but just wondered if any of you users out there have any opinions on its use for cycling.
It seems pretty good to me looking at the Satmap website and I know someone who has Garmin 605 but he is not that happy with it.

I use it for cycling 100 mile per day rides. Get the LiPol battery.
The cycle mount is secure and the map is readable when moving. I use the Great Britain 2: Central 1:50k ( £117 from Satmap). For LE -JoG use the 1:50K Great Britain 4:Full £195.
The only drawback is it can be hard to read in bright sunlight
I use 100% brightness with a power off after 30 seconds (display restored by pressing any button). You can export routes from Mapmyride.com. Use the follow roads option to create accurate routes.
Since the upgrade to 1.2 in May I have had no problems. Very pleased with the unit.
Jaz3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Jaz3 wrote:

Why would Memory Map allow their stuff....which let's face it isn't their stuff either....on a competitor's unit that is far better than their own?
This is the way of the digital world....you pay over and over again for stuff you already own but in a deliberately tweaked format....just like iTunes stuff....I'd never buy stuff from there as I wouldn't be wanting to be tied to an iPod for the rest of my days....I buy a cd and rip it to the formate required.

With the mapping, I already owned Memory Map South GB since 2003 but bought the Satmap's version as well because the product and what it allows me to do with my rides is just so good......an no I'm not made of money either.

The iTunes comment is interesting. I note that Apple has now relented and will be removing DRM from all iTunes downloads - shall I hold my breath for OS/MM to do the same? My point is that as you point out it isn't MM's data, it remains the property of OS (i.e UK taxpayers), just as music remains the property of the copyright holder. You are buying a licensed copy, and my argument is that I should be free to use that licensed copy in any disc format I choose, subject to obvious limitations (i.e it is always for my personal use, and not for sharing etc)
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap Reply with quote

Jaz3 wrote:
robs1972 wrote:
Jaz3 wrote:

The iTunes comment is interesting. I note that Apple has now relented and will be removing DRM from all iTunes downloads - shall I hold my breath for OS/MM to do the same?

Apple haven't missed a trick though....you can 'upgrade' your existing songs to DRM free 256kbps AAC at 30c per song or 1/3 album price per album.....that's on top of the similar upgrade price when Apple decided to up the bit rate from 128 or whatever it was originally to 256...plus the original rate at 99c per song....and then what have you got? songs that are in Apple's AAC format which is generally still only playable on an iPod (if you want a portable player). Genius!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: