Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - First week living with the 1000
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

First week living with the 1000
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Exactly Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Its the best all round unit in the market today and if they sort the web service portal for it then it will continue in this place for the next 12 months
Presumably then you will agree with me that my Nokia 6021 is miles better than an iPhone. It does make phone calls and receive and send texts, afterall Shocked Most technology these dats adds more bells and whistles, and when they are removed when you know that the device is capable of it, is it urprising that people get hacked off about it. I would if I bought a new phone that couldn't make phone calls. Very Happy
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: M8TJT Reply with quote

M8TJT but its a sat nav that can navigate. very well indeed as it happens

Its true you don't know what you've got till its gone, but I'm happy to leave my other units behind and go out with my Go 1000 and leave my Garmin, Navigon and Navman at home so that says a lot about the quality and clarity of the routing

And (while being an iPhone4 user myself) believe the Nokia is a better phone than the iPhone is a Phone (but not a better all-round device). It has a better signal reception, quicker to dial, smaller in the pocket, more robust and much better batter life
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
OrangeJuiceMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: To GO 1K or not to GO 1K Reply with quote

Well, having read all through the various comments, I am gonna stick with my GO510 - it does more for me than the 1K can do (at present) when I list what I need from a satnav and is more up to date mapwise than the 1K is likely to be (for a while at least) and won't let me 'tweak'. I am not therefore, gonna be shelling out mega bucks just yet when the only dark spot looming on my GPS horizon is battery failure, which can be resolved when it occurs, for around a tenner.

I'm not a tight r's, just can't see any mileage in spending my job seeker's allowance on buying something that is a retrograde step.
TTS - ASR - ALG - IQR etc
PGPSW Cameras with Voice Warnings
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the point where I'm toying with the idea of replacing my garmin 1310 with something new.

The TT 1000 is certainly one I would consider, but the rushed nature and lack of features and user definable points is seriously putting me off at this stage.

Might just go for the garmin 1695 and stock with what I know.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 1000 Reply with quote

Quote:
Might just go for the garmin 1695 and stock with what I know

I went with TomTom because the 3760 had the look and feature set I wanted from a Garmin upgrade, but no live traffic. The 1695 had the live traffic but lacked the feature set of the 3760 (or the look, or the screen resolution

Garmins Live Traffic isn't (yet) anywhere near as comprehensive as TomToms was also a consideration

Very pleased with my purchase and believe me when I say that (unless you wish to connect the unit to your computer to do anything) you would not know any problems exist that everyone is talking of here
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 1000 Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
and believe me when I say that (unless you wish to connect the unit to your computer to do anything) you would not know any problems exist that everyone is talking of here

Or if you wanted to install POIs of any sort, or update your map. And what about if you wanted Itinerary? or FM Tx or MP3 player? All gone.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or run an itinerary, or play some music, or send the audio by FM or Bluetooth, or install a new voice or add your favourite colour scheme.....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP.....Audio Books
RIP.....Auto backlight via light sensor
RIP.....Auto power on
RIP.....Coexistence of Euro and USA maps - no memory card slot
RIP.....Industry standard method of connection to PC (bespoke cable)

OGG audio file support? who knows but I doubt it as Home_2 never recognised them - Mike
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: All mixed up Reply with quote

Garmin, TomTom and Mio Navman are all removing features like MP3 players, audiobooks, FM transmitters because if you want all of this then surely a SmartPhone would be the best solution - they can never compete with their PNDS with industry standard software platforms of OS4 or Android

What they can do is make the units great and navigation, easy to use, larger displays and quicker boot up times

This is what TomTom have done with the Go 1000 and it functions perfectly at this

This leaves my Iphone4 or HTC to plan my music, audiobooks, etc. or take my calls (without disrupting navigation). A perfect solution

Sometimes less is more
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horses for courses....

I can't afford a smartphone, and I don't have an iPod etc.

What I did have was a TomTom that did a reasonably creditable effort at being an mp3 player. If they could do it before, what's changed to mean they can't (or won't) do it now.

I also liked the idea of only needing ONE gadget in the car.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is, if the PNDs get stripped down to navigation only, we'll all HAVE to afford a smartphone if we want anything more. They have to try and show an edge - the question is, should they be trying to switch to some different value-added features as well ('what?' I hear you ask), now the 'iPhone' seems to be doing a creditable job of nearly everything they previously offered, even navigation, with the help of all the navigation offerings coming on, which must suit the vast majority of people who only do occasional journeys. And how long before they too tumble in price anyway?

The advantages of the PND are not that many now - (i) larger screen (but is that a real necessity, or a substitute for visual quality? - I remember my first, an i3; superb clarity on an unbelievably tiny display). Anyway, how long before Apple, etc market a larger dumb display, if that's what people want?; (ii) much more favourable network charging regimes - but the mobile companies are cute enough - they will know when they will really have to compete. (iii) User POIs - well, some of them - ('ahem, ahem'). What are the other advantages?
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems we're heading towards a system that is built into the car. Not just for navigation but communication and entertainment too. This is profitable for the car maker, and more secure for the car owner. TT want a share of this market, and have chosen the route of developing generic applications that can be installed on a range of built in systems. Whilst this market is being grown they still want to capture PND sales. How long this transition takes is anybody's guess, I'll opt for 4 years. From what I've read about the 1000 and HD traffic, it looks like TT are out in front with traffic information, and this may be what puts them firmly back in the lead.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
OrangeJuiceMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: All mixed up Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Garmin, TomTom and Mio Navman are all removing features like MP3 players, audiobooks, FM transmitters because if you want all of this then surely a SmartPhone would be the best solution - they can never compete with their PNDS with industry standard software platforms of OS4 or Android

What they can do is make the units great and navigation, easy to use, larger displays and quicker boot up times

This is what TomTom have done with the Go 1000 and it functions perfectly at this

This leaves my Iphone4 or HTC to plan my music, audiobooks, etc. or take my calls (without disrupting navigation). A perfect solution

Sometimes less is more

Interesting view.... so you're suggesting then, that Photography be left to Nikon, Pentax & co., that telephony be left alone for Plessey, Siemens et al, and I guess texting should remain in the hands of the GPO maybe as a Telegram service? If SatNavs are better for only doing SatNav, then maybe you'd like Apple to leave the playing of music to wandering minstrels?

Sorry - couldn't resist exploring the limits of such a silly statement.
TTS - ASR - ALG - IQR etc
PGPSW Cameras with Voice Warnings
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: All mixed up Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
This sounds like an awful lot of distractions when you are driving, Shocked which presumably you would be doing if it was important that navigation should not be disrupted Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy
jmcmtank
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine a couple of days now; quite like it. Unfortunately the experience is spoiled by my 930 squawking in the background; yup, two devices until they sort the POI issue. Very impressed that you can navigate to a motorway junction from the map.....or could you always do that? Laughing What really hacked me off was finding out there is a 1005, with a bigger screen, I drive a van and my eyes are half a century old so I would have paid the extra.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: