Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Registering a second X970T unit?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Registering a second X970T unit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
br1anstorm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Registering a second X970T unit? Reply with quote

I have an X970T which I have been using for some time (although I haven't tried to update its software).

I have recently got a second X970T (a cast-off from a friend who has "moved on" to another brand). It has SD card and works, but unfortunately there's no accompanying disk - must have been lost or thrown out...

I plan to use it in my second car. It works OK, so I wonder if I need to register this unit on my VM account-page.... for which purpose the VM site says I need the "product identification code".

How can I find this? I don't really understand how "syncing" works; but can I use my existing disk somehow to reveal the code of this second unit? Or is there another way to find the code?

Or.... since I gather updates are no longer available, do I not need to bother but just use it as it is?

br1anstorm
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hazard a guess and say 'use it as it is' - I think support has long since gone, and I would also think the unit is well out of guarantee. I'm sure there won't be ANY updates of software or facilities (can you see if safety camera updates are still being produced?). It seems a case of 'use it until it dies'.

Afraid I can't answer your specific question about the product identification code - too long ago !! Crying , but I can't imagine your disk will help. (But maybe your friend still remembers his registration log-on details, etc ?? - that could help)

You may like to try and contact their support if they are still there but I think that's dead and gone too.

Good luck anyway.
br1anstorm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, David/BigPerk.

The unit is definitely out of guarantee; and you have rather confirmed what I suspected - that support and updates are no longer available, so there's nothing much to be gained from trying to (re)register this second unit into "my" VM account.

Incidentally my question about the PIN code was because the VM site says you can only access it by plugging the satnav into your computer and then running the accompanying CD/DVD (apparently at some step in in the loading/syncing process it shows up the PIN code onscreen).

I'll take your advice and use it until it dies. Then no doubt I'll join the ranks of those who regret VM's withdrawal from the market. It's not just the loss of their satnav units, which I have always found user-friendly (better the devil you know...), but also the additional facilities. No one else does guides that are as useful as the Michelin ones...

Ah well, that's progress in this disposable society, I suppose!

br1anstorm
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't (of course Rolling Eyes ) wish to guide you in any particular direction when you need to move on, but I would suggest you DO include Navigon in any comparisons you eventually do. They have taken on ViaMichelin's ( Crying ) software offerings such as Hotels, Restaurants & Tourist Sites/Routes (but I can't vouch for the quality yet).

Anyway, all the best br1anstorm. Maybe we'll see you in our ranks later!! Razz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: