Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Firmware update - what's new?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Firmware update - what's new?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Firmware update - what's new? Reply with quote

So, assuming that TomTom manage to work out the problems with the x40 firmware update by year end, can someone summarise the differences please? What are the big gains, and are there any losses? Is it just UI, or is there a fundamental step up in it?

Thanks!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't know what is in the firmware update until it is released. The main difference that I expect is that the x40 will appear more like the x50.

The differences I have noticed are:

A summary screen (Live Snapshot) showing delays due to traffic and IQ routes and also TT speed cameras on route.

The satellite bars are not visible and are much harder to find.

If HD Traffic loses contact with the server, all the traffic infomation disappears.

Easy switching between 2D & 3D mode by touching the centre of the info bar.

An option in planning called ECO routes.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'll know if they are good or bad until I see them! Smile

Traffic disappearing probably makes sense after a while, but I can see it being frustrating.

Ah well, any day now I hope.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Firmware update - what's new? Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
So, assuming that TomTom manage to work out the problems with the x40 firmware update by year end...

Can't see it myself.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Easy switching between 2D & 3D mode by touching the centre of the info bar.

Surely you mean frustrating unwanted regular switching between 2D and 3D mode due to a wholly unnecessary new touch button for this permanently wasting space in the main navigation screen. I personally have never seen any reason not to be permanently in 3D mode and those who do want such a 2D/3D switching button on the front navigation screen should be allowed to configure it in the Preferences menu without the option being enforced upon the rest of us who don't want it.

Another big downside to Navcore 9 software compared to Navcore 8 is the loss of any way at all to check the current state of battery charge except when the battery is running only on battery power (when you must rely on the much inferior battery charge icon in the navigation display screen). Previously an icon showing the amount of charge currently applied to the battery (if not fully charged) was provided by touching the right hand side of the Status Bar.

The only worthwhile gains I see in Navcore 9 are the differentiation of delays resulting from IQ route data compared to live HD Traffic data in the route summary screen and the fact that in some circumstances Fastest Route offers you a choice of routes between the absolute fastest route regardless of distance and a route which is slightly slower but much shorter in distance terms. Shortest Route on a TomTom for any long distance route has always been a useless feature up to now so some attempt to balance fastest route against the shortest route is a welcome change.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: