Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Warn when near POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Warn when near POI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Warn when near POI Reply with quote

Having driven around the country over the past week I have noticed a new behaviour in warning when near a POI. The warning message (brief spoken warning) is given but with a distance of 20 yards which is usually behind me. This happens across all types and speeds of camera (all Pocket GPS World) and is not consistant for the same camera and location. The visual warning and distance on the screen is correct.

Normally I will get the warning "XXX 300 yards" or "YYY 0.8 miles" but I keep getting these "XXX 20 yards". It is like Kate has been asleep and suddenly noticed the camera at the last minute.

Anyone any idea what is happening here?

Also it managed to get me lost in the centre of Wakefield this week heading south on the A61 Marsh Way where it meets the A642 Jacobs Well trying to head towards the A636 Denby Dale Road, it was telling me to go right on the roundabout that it showed me on when there was not a roundabout, then it showed me driving off road through buildings. I had full satellite bars showing at the time.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never had her being late before tbh but the driving though empty spaces might be a map error ..unless you gone that way before
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sussed the map bit, the whole roundabout and area has changed, if you look at Google maps it is the same as the TomTom map but switch to Google satellite view then it is as I drove the other day, a large part of Marsh Way has moved from running NW-SE to N-S. The NW point was a roundabout at 53.68585, -1.49606.
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you updated to the latest maps. if so i thought the new roads would have been on there depending how long theve been open.
i updated to the latest map when i got my 930 about a month ago and ive found a main road leading onto the A40 in london thats been open for almost 18 months and thats still not on the new map.it looks like im driving across a field.
i wonder how old the new maps are on release day???

i know when new cameras are loaded onto tom toms they are default at 300yards and then can manually be changed to whatever distance you want them to be. im wondering if yours has ad a hiccup and somehow set them to 20yards instead.
might be worth resetting all the cameras again in manage poi, warn when near poi.

either that or you are trying to break the sound barrierand tomtom cant keep up Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at how many custom POI files have been enabled to be visible on the navigation screen as this can really slow a unit down leading to late warnings, a connection to the PC and the TomTom Software can be all that it takes to enable every third party POI category to show on the nav screen - Mike
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this happen at times. It's either where there's two cameras in the same category near each other - you won't get the warning for the second one until the first alert is given. This can happen in Specs or variable limit zones.

It can also happen when the camera is on the "other side" but is accessible by going round a roundabout - it's say 300yds by road but the camera is beside you.

Apart from that, check that the alerts and POIs are set up correctly as noted above.
Brodit ProClip mount
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was the SPECS on the other side issue as it was really noticeable on the A1 between Dishforth and Leeming Bar and between J13 and J10 on the M1. I notice that the TT overspeed warnings were not happening here, just the PGPSW warnings.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: