Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - LIFETIME doesn't mean lifetime to Tomtom...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

LIFETIME doesn't mean lifetime to Tomtom...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: LIFETIME doesn't mean lifetime to Tomtom... Reply with quote

Recently purchased a 540xxl world traveler edition with free lifetime maps but it appears Tomtom are having some trouble with the words 'lifetime' when it come to the European maps on the device. According to a post on Amazon the 'lifetime' only applies to the American maps, not the European. The trouble is in their T&C's it states that it applies to 'map data originally included with your TomTom Product when originally purchased'. Could anyone shed some light on this??

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3O3PYDXQ6GQ5R/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003B3P2D8&nodeID=172282#wasThisHelpful
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware the 540XXL is not sold by TomTom in the UK and is therefore probably a grey import which TomTom UK could be in their rights to not support.

The T&Cs say "The updates you receive under the Subscription will be updates to the same map data originally included with your TomTom Product when originally purchased" so I cannot see why they would only update the American maps.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it that the 540XXL was originally intended for the USA market and then diverted as a grey import to here the UK?

That maybe why TT would only update the USA maps as those were the ones on it when it was manufactured.

Similar things happen with the so called grey imports of other things, motor cycles as an example because they don't have left or right hand drive or other significant differences they can and do get imported as grey imports. This can and does affect the warranty, and your insurance for example, mainly because it is not as intended for this market.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: LIFETIME doesn't mean lifetime to Tomtom... Reply with quote

portman wrote:
Recently purchased a 540xxl world traveler edition with free lifetime maps but it appears Tomtom are having some trouble with the words 'lifetime' when it come to the European maps on the device. According to a post on Amazon....

A device called "World traveller edition with free lifetime maps" sounds pretty clear about what it should do. Smile Have you personally had a problem with getting the maps from TomTom or is this just hearsay from an Amazon review?

I suggest that you try and update your maps and see what happens. All this about "grey imports" is irrelevant in my opinion, especially for a product called "World traveller edition".
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I'm in a bit of a dilemma as i haven't turned mine on yet, guess i can return it if they refuse to honour the lifetime map updates..
It was bought from Amazon.com so no dodgy importing. The whole point for me was to have free lifetime maps, that's why i paid extra for that edition, other wise i could have bought the 540xxl refurb at $95.
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portman you referred to US Dollars and Amazon.com.

Are you in Hampshire, UK and you bought from Amazon.co.uk in the UK or are you in New Hampshire, USA and bought it from Amazon.com in the USA or are you in Hampshire, UK and you bought from Amazon.com in the USA and imported it to the UK.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulWH wrote:
Portman you referred to US Dollars and Amazon.com.

Are you in Hampshire, UK and you bought from Amazon.co.uk in the UK or are you in New Hampshire, USA and bought it from Amazon.com in the USA or are you in Hampshire, UK and you bought from Amazon.com in the USA and imported it to the UK.

I looked at portmans link in his first post and it goes to Amazon.com so if he is in the states when he gets up a liitle later he can let us know.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just browsed around and went to Amazon.com site. There is a customer review from portman on there using more or less the same wording as his post on here and of course saying the same thing.

Amazon do say there is free lifetime map updates but their wording is not so precise you could definitely say it includes Europe.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry for any confusion, I'm in the UK, brought the Tomtom back here from family in the States, so its quite important that i get the lifetime European map updates, other wise it was all a bit of a wasted effort to get it!!!!
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
Hi, sorry for any confusion, I'm in the UK, brought the Tomtom back here from family in the States, so its quite important that i get the lifetime European map updates, other wise it was all a bit of a wasted effort to get it!!!!

It seems to me that any claim you have for failure to provide the services promised to you at point of purchase are therefore against a US retailer under the trading standards legislation of whichever state in the USA in which Amazon is based and/or against the US subsidiary of TomTom under the trading standards legislation of whichever state in the USA they are based if they are responsible for providing the ongoing map updates. Do they perhaps have any terms and conditions that imply you can only obtain the free lifetime map updates when connected to their servers from an IP address located in the USA? I suspect not. In which case your difficulty may be in pursuing this matter cost effectively in legal terms in the USA while residing as a citizen of the United Kingdom.

Alternatively if a friend/relative in the USA bought it from TomTom and their name is on the invoice then I suspect that it may be easier for them to take the matter up directly although of course TomTom will inevitably no doubt want to pick up the unit to check out the problem. Does their warranty imply that the unit will be collected and serviced from anywhere in the world if it becomes defective?

Also if the map updates are for life but the warranty only lasts one year then surely TomTom being TomTom can then no doubt attribute any failure of the maps to update after a year as being due to an out of warranty hardware defect with the unit? Really for the Lifetime map updates to be worth the paper they are printed on the unit really needs to also come with at least a five year warranty. Especially as we all know about TomTom's general hardware unreliability which is more of Hotpoint like rather than Miele like quality standards.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
At the moment I'm in a bit of a dilemma as i haven't turned mine on yet, guess i can return it if they refuse to honour the lifetime map updates..

Go ahead and switch it on and see what happens. IF the maps don't update then talk to TomTom about it.

I really can't see how they could sell a sat nav with USA and Europe maps and then refuse to update it if the owner was in Europe. Rolling Eyes
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this will help......

Back in the 930 days, TomTom - USA refused the lmg for the included Western_Europe map for somebody. He complained to the Better Business Bureau in Boston, Mass. Considering that TT - NA headquarters is based in Mass up the road from Boston, they responded the next day by making the lmg for Europe available to this guy.

Just so you know.....perhaps a different avenue to take.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, i guess i'll go ahead see what happens, if they won't honour it they will have to pay for me to return for mis-selling, we'll see. Useful info about Boston..
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest that you select the EU map, and then do the updates. That way at least if they say you can only update one or the other, you have the one that you really care about.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom have now deleted section 7(g) of their T&C's which related to Lifetime map updates whilst claiming the revision date to be Aug 2008, perhaps they read reviews after all... I have decided to wait for v855 maps before getting it up and running.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: