Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed preferences
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed preferences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nelmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Speed preferences Reply with quote

I currently have Sygic McGuider on my mobile phone and it works reasonably OK. However, I also tow a caravan and I cannot set speed preferences by road type - McGuider assumes 70mph on motorways etc but I only do 60mph. So ETAs for my journeys are well out, over any reasonable distance.

My wife has been making noises about having her own satnav but I don't want to spend much money on that (she won't use it very often). I also thought that, if I get a satnav that allows you to set speed preferences, I could get more accurate ETAs BUT I might also be able to fool the routing software into avoiding smaller roads (a big problem for caravanners) by setting the speed to, say, 1mph on those road types (seem plausible?).

Now, the only system I can find that seems to offer this is the Roadcom 415 - however, reviews of the earlier versions of this product say it is rubbish!

So, any other systems that allow you to set speed preferences? Preferably cheap ones but I'd be happy to buy second-hand...

TIA
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelmo

Sygic McGuider is odd in that it , internally, artificially inflates the A road speeds and similarly downgrades the B road speed so that it tends to produce routes which avoid B roads. The side effect of this is that ETA times are wrong most often but it is much better for drivers of larger vehivles.

I have a Motor Caravan and therefore have the same problem and I have been round this circuit several times. You could try CoPIlot Live which does, I think, have this option although I gave up with it for other reasons but I have read that the speed change routines are not reliably implemented. Directions Ltd is also a possibility and does allow road speed changes and they do a separate TRUCK version which also runs on Windows Mobile based phones. I tested this and I liked it, although it failed for me on a variety of test cases so i dismissed that.

TomTom used to have this feature but dropped it early on (TT4 I think).

Regarding separate boxes the one which seems to get most praise is the Ventura Snooper which allows vehicle dimensions to be specified but I have not personally managed to get hold of one to really test this out.
Pronav claims this capability as well as vehicle dimensions but reports suggest it doesn;t come up to scratch - again this is heresay.

My inclination is that , for your Caravan, you probably have the best option already - well that is the one I have come back to having tried both phone based solutions mentioned above.

As a further thought if you are still running McGuider I would suggest you ask Sygic to upgrade you ( free) to the latest Sygic Mobile Maps 10. There aren't too many new features but the maps are up to date and now that Mcguider is 'no more' you will be back on the 'mainline' development.

Roy
nelmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roy - that's a great response - you've done all the work for me! Smile

CoPilot was my first ever satnav, 10 years ago and I remember TT having the speed preferences...

The ETA on McGuider seems OK when driving solo and I have noticed that it does prefer main routes BUT it did take me down an unclassified road once (when towing) when there was a perfectly good main road route (I found out later) that was only a few miles longer...

Thanks again for the reply...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: