Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pre-installed European 1:100K recreation mapping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-installed European 1:100K recreation mapping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foghat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Pre-installed European 1:100K recreation mapping Reply with quote

Looking at the new 62st, I see it comes with 'European 100K recreation mapping' pre-installed.

I've tried researching but am still unclear about what the differences (other than geographical extent) between this mapping and Topo GB mapping, or the vector mapping that comes as part of OSGB Discoverer mapping, are. And is this 'recreation mapping' also available on its own?

Grateful if someone could enlighten me - am trying to work out whether to get a 62st or 62s. Thanks in advance!
jdgwinnell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Built-in Euro topo map Reply with quote

On my Oregon 550t, which I believe is internally identical to the 62st, the European topo basemap which comes with them (as designated by the -t suffix) is 3.3 GB - nearly twice the size of CN Europe. I certainly don't bother with TopoGB any more, which is getting out of date and combines the routable roads of CN 2009 (?) with a topo map which is derived from different data than the OS one - total of 1.53 GB on my hard drive. The new topo basemap does not, I think, have routeable road data but does have digital elevation - all in a vector format, i.e. the unit draws it for you on demand. The OS Discoverer maps are both routable (vector-based) and raster, i.e. there is a pictorial overlay of what the OS map looks like. This changes as appropriate to the zooming level, which is really smart...

You can't get the recreation basemap on its own, it only comes built in to the *-t models. Whether or not Garmin ever update it - and free, or at a cost? - remains to be seen. As it doesn't have routeable roads, it's not such a crucial issue as with the automotive maps.
Montana 650, Oregon 650
Foghat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - this is just the information I'm after.

Would you say OSGB Discoverer was better or worse than Topo GB for routing - e.g. does Discoverer route along paths/tracks as well as roads, and are the POIs as comprehensive as in Topo GB (or do the 'recreation' maps have all the POIs now?)?
jdgwinnell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used any topo maps for pedestrian routeing, but a quick test shows:
CN Europe [on a data card] will only route on roads or in straight line;
built-in topo, as advertised will not route in any meaningful fashion, just indicate a straight line from place to place; its collection of POIs is quite limited (though I've not been able to do a detailed comparison);
GB Discoverer has no routeing or POI information in addition to the underlying CN Europe database - i.e. it can show the picture of the OS map, but does not know that it shows paths and so cannot follow them, so the available routeing outcomes are the same as with CN Europe.
Because the OS map is a 'picture', it blocks out any BirdsEye satellite imagery you might have unless you disable it.

Topo GB is locked to my 60CSx so I can't do an exact comparison - the basemap for this unit is routeable, and Topo GB is on a datacard with an old version of CN Europe (2008 I think) which clouds the issue of which map is routeing and where the POIs are coming from. These are however inferior to the newer maps, and mis-spell a couple of local villages.

My advice would be to forget about Topo GB, which was designed for the older units which could not show raster images, and go for GB Discoverer which has more up-to-date information, better POIs, and looks fabulous (unless you zoom in too far). I find it's ideal for following footpaths - as long as you can read a map, you don't need routeing when you're walking as you don't need instant decisions at junctions. However it might be less satisfactory for cycling or motorcycling, where the terrain moves so much faster! There used to be an issue with GB Discoverer that map tiles would not draw if you moved across a boundary too fast, but that was solved in a firmware update some time ago.

As for the original question: the *-t option seems to be a £50 premium, which I think is good value for a pan-European topo map - useful if you ever go abroad. It's not as detailed as the country-specific topo maps, but they are very expensive unless you dabble on the dark side.
Montana 650, Oregon 650
Foghat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - that's a very comprehensive answer, which tells me precisely what I needed to know.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and hopefully others will find it useful too.

Garmin 62st it is then.....once all this squeaking case business is hopefully sorted out in the next production run!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: